All reviewslovely atmosphereyorkshire puddingserved by friendly staffhundred yardsappointed roomsmiddle of townsunday lunchnext morningpotatoeswest walesspecials boardan evening mealcooked breakfastset us up for the daycooked to perfectioncomfortable bedthe bank holiday weekend
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Booked for Saturday evening in August near Bank Holiday. Although busy, the waitresses were attentive and very helpful and friendly. I had dressed crab with lime dressing (to die for!). And hubby had sea bass with lemon butter sauce, beautiful. Lovely new pots and veg as well. Dessert (vanilla creme brulee) was to be shared but I never did get to try it. My husband said it was the best he had ever tasted. lovely filter coffee strong but not bitter. I understand Frederic chefs Wednesday - Saturday. Don't miss this, we will DEFINATELY be returning regularly as we live locally.
Sorry I can't comment about the rooms but we isn't stay .

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank LibbyOWalesuk
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Lunch time food was ok, nothing special but not too bad.
The "Real Ale" beer was the closest I have tasted to vinegar for a long while.
When I told the manager that the beer was not right he stated that there was nothing wrong with it, later saying it may be "a little bit off" and charged me 30 pence extra for a pint of fizzy lager, which I was not too impressed about but I knew should be drinkable.
The barman apologised and said that he would not have charged me the extra money but the manager told him to do so.
The manager did tell me ten minutes later that he had changed the barrel as it had gone, not an apology, just a statement.
Try The Cadwgan just down the road for a really good pint.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank highleyborn
castle05, Manager at Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

I feel that there has been a misunderstanding the real ale in question had reached the end of the barrel and is never the same as the first pint! when I went down to change over the real ale the customer did not wish to wait and ordered a pint of lager and it was his decision to pay the extra .we were prepared to let the customer have a new pint of the real ale at no extra cost as well as the lager.
However we failed to reach an agreement .We do pride ourselves on our real ale and we continue to change our selection frequently from Doombar to Evan Evans etc We continue to listen to our customers and find there comments very important
We also have the largest range of imported lagers on tap in the vicinity including Leffe Hoegaarden and Peroni

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We were a bit surprised to be paying £90.00 for a twin room and breakfast, no sea view but it appeared to be the last room in the town. No parking at the hotel and the town was packed so unloading the luggage and checking in was a bit of a struggle. However, a very friendly reception and the offer to park at the owner's house just up the road was gratefully received.
The room was generally fine - tv, shower, tea making facilities etc but there was a lack of attention to detail. Towel had a hole in it, little bottle of shampoo was empty and the waste plug to the basin had to be held open. The full breakfast the next day was again generally good but again the detail was missing - both butter and milk had to be asked for.
Saturday afternoon we took the bus south to New Quay and had a great walk back along the cost. The plan was to go north on Sunday morning and again walk back. We knew there were no buses but had been assured by the hotel and the tourist office that taxis would be available. We realise now we should have booked in advance as none of the taxi firms answered their phones on Sunday morning ! Drove to Aberystwyth instead and spent a pleasant morning there.
Aberaeron is a lovely town, particularly the beautifully painted houses but I think we might try a different hotel next time.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I am always weary when staying in a pub - bad experiences of noise and cleanliness in the past. The location of The Castle is excellent in the centre of town and plenty of street parking nearby. Check in is in the bar which can be intimidating especially for a lone female! The guy behind the bar showed me to my room up two flights of stairs but did not offer to carry my bags! The room itself was clean and modern but no view whatsoever. It was a hot July evening and I was so disappointed that no bottled water was offered in the room. I mentioned to the guy (who did not carry my bags !) that I needed to leave at eight in the morning, to which he replied that breakfast did not start until eight and that was that! Would I stay here again? Yes if I knew that the GUY had changed his attitude and would offer more assistance !

Room Tip: No idea and to be honest I don't think that any of the rooms have spectacular views.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Habela
castle05, Manager at Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

We're sorry you did not enjoy your stay.

Our reception is located at the side of our cafe bar, and our staff are all trained to offer to carry bags for anybody up the stairs should they require it. We provide glasses for drinking from, however we will consider putting bottled water for sale in the rooms. However these may also be purchased from the bar.

Our breakfasts are cooked freshly to order between the hours of 8 - 9.30 am, and we do our best to accommodate any special requirements.

We hope you will stay with us again and we will definitely improve upon your experience with us.
Kind Regards,
All at The Castle.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

we always have a meal here at least once when staying in the area but it was a bit mish ash this time it wasent overly busy but we had every one serve us at some point durung the meal it is nice to know who is your waitress then you are not always looking round to ask someone if you need anything else also please paper napkins for the prices you charge the food was ok just ill be having second thoughts next time and sack the piano player toonoisy

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple