All reviewslovely atmosphereyorkshire puddingserved by friendly staffhundred yardsappointed roomsmiddle of townsunday lunchnext morningpotatoeswest walesspecials boardan evening mealcooked breakfastset us up for the daycomfortable bedcooked to perfectionthe bank holiday weekend
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We were a bit surprised to be paying £90.00 for a twin room and breakfast, no sea view but it appeared to be the last room in the town. No parking at the hotel and the town was packed so unloading the luggage and checking in was a bit of a struggle. However, a very friendly reception and the offer to park at the owner's house just up the road was gratefully received.
The room was generally fine - tv, shower, tea making facilities etc but there was a lack of attention to detail. Towel had a hole in it, little bottle of shampoo was empty and the waste plug to the basin had to be held open. The full breakfast the next day was again generally good but again the detail was missing - both butter and milk had to be asked for.
Saturday afternoon we took the bus south to New Quay and had a great walk back along the cost. The plan was to go north on Sunday morning and again walk back. We knew there were no buses but had been assured by the hotel and the tourist office that taxis would be available. We realise now we should have booked in advance as none of the taxi firms answered their phones on Sunday morning ! Drove to Aberystwyth instead and spent a pleasant morning there.
Aberaeron is a lovely town, particularly the beautifully painted houses but I think we might try a different hotel next time.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I am always weary when staying in a pub - bad experiences of noise and cleanliness in the past. The location of The Castle is excellent in the centre of town and plenty of street parking nearby. Check in is in the bar which can be intimidating especially for a lone female! The guy behind the bar showed me to my room up two flights of stairs but did not offer to carry my bags! The room itself was clean and modern but no view whatsoever. It was a hot July evening and I was so disappointed that no bottled water was offered in the room. I mentioned to the guy (who did not carry my bags !) that I needed to leave at eight in the morning, to which he replied that breakfast did not start until eight and that was that! Would I stay here again? Yes if I knew that the GUY had changed his attitude and would offer more assistance !

Room Tip: No idea and to be honest I don't think that any of the rooms have spectacular views.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Habela
castle05, Manager at Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

We're sorry you did not enjoy your stay.

Our reception is located at the side of our cafe bar, and our staff are all trained to offer to carry bags for anybody up the stairs should they require it. We provide glasses for drinking from, however we will consider putting bottled water for sale in the rooms. However these may also be purchased from the bar.

Our breakfasts are cooked freshly to order between the hours of 8 - 9.30 am, and we do our best to accommodate any special requirements.

We hope you will stay with us again and we will definitely improve upon your experience with us.
Kind Regards,
All at The Castle.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

we always have a meal here at least once when staying in the area but it was a bit mish ash this time it wasent overly busy but we had every one serve us at some point durung the meal it is nice to know who is your waitress then you are not always looking round to ask someone if you need anything else also please paper napkins for the prices you charge the food was ok just ill be having second thoughts next time and sack the piano player toonoisy

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We booked the Castle apartment which is situated next to the hotel. We didn't expect much and have to admit that when we saw the steep stairs to the apartment above the shops, we were a little worried. We didn't need to be though as the apartment was amazing! The décor was up to date, the layout worked extremely well, and all in all I think it was a bargain for that time of the year. The one issue we had though was the road noise. I know there is nothing they can do about it as when we stayed it was very warm and we had to open the windows but in the middle of the night it sounded like the trucks were driving right through the apartment.
We are one night in the first floor restaurant and should you read a bad review, take it with a pinch of salt. We didn't book in advance and turned up a little sceptical. We were welcomed with open arms and the service was second to none. There was a very awkward customer who knew nothing about wine who complained very loudly and she dealt with him professionally when emptying the bottle of wine over his head was the best option I came up with :)
The food was amazing and reasonably priced. The lobster was out of this world and my fiancee loved her sirloin.

All in all, the staff were very good, the manager went out of his way to ensure we felt welcomed and took the time to speak to me as I walked past, even offering us his driveway to park on if we couldn't find parking.

Aberaeron is a lovely place and we will certainly be back next year, I just hope the apartment is available!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
castle05, Manager at Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Thank you so much for you review and your custom

Reviewed August 5, 2013

The first floor restaurant at the Castle Hotel has apparently been redecorated and re-launched and the mainly fish-based menu looked attractive, in this small seaside harbour town where the 'catch of the day' ought to be available. The bar is downstairs with a grand piano being loudly played, and slightly out of tune - that would have made a meal in the bar quite challenging.
Upstairs, service was also quite challenging, since the staff were all focussed on serving a group booking and despite our booked table it took quite a few minutes to get some drinks ordered, and we were then expected to order our food immediately.
The dressed crab served with a very fresh crisp salad as a starter was excellent, and in our case enough for two, though the scallops our friends had were tiny and dominated by their deconstructed St Jacques presentation. The fish menu offers a choice of cooking methods and accompanying sauces and the results were good, though again the portions of pan-fried sea bass were very small. Duck was well cooked - not pink - and dominated by lentils. Seasonal vegetables were al dente and pleasant though the separate chips were slighly soggy.
We decided to pass on desserts and coffee, partly because of the noisy atmosphere - the hard surfaces reflected multiple conversations.
Given that there are a number of seafood based options for eating in Aberaeron, this needs to be much better.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

All our fish is fresh from Cardigan bay and we do get very busy on certain days especially at the height of the season ,However when we take bookings it sometimes gets very difficult to accommodate people[like every other restaurant] if they are late as this can delay other customers who have also booked .We value your custom and your comments
Lounge music is only played on a Friday between 1830 and 2130 with a well tuned piano and dinner can also be served in the café bar