“Excellent food, wine, service and ambience.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ty Mawr Mansion

Ty Mawr Mansion
Ranked #14 of 30 Restaurants in Aberaeron
Cuisines: British, Welsh
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Excellent food, wine, service and ambience.”
Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 nights midweek and dined at the restaurant on the second night of our stay. Pre-dinner drinks were taken in the lounge where we perused the menu and relaxed before going through to the tastefully decorated restaurant. The wine list offers an excellent choice of good quality wines to suit all budgets and are very fairly priced. The menu options were excellent using locally sourced produce; I opted for scallops and sea bass whilst my partner decided on beef carpaccio and lamb, followed by the cheese selection. We thoroughly enjoyed the meal; the dishes were well presented and delicious. Service was attentive without being intrusive and the restaurant offers a fine dining experience at very fair rates in the most beautiful surroundings. Recommended.

2 Thank Sue M
Tymawrmansion, Owner at Ty Mawr Mansion, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Sue M, thank you for your review of the restaurant here at Ty Mawr Mansion, we try to offer a more relaxed style of Country House service here, so although our service should be attentive we try to offer this without being stuffy and over formal, which we hope will then allow you as our guests to relax and enjoy your meal. We try to offer a variety of wines to suit all budgets, but the one thing that we do insist on is that our wines are realistically priced and of a high quality right from our house wines to our higher end products.
It was lovely to meet you both and we look forward to welcoming you again soon to Ty Mawr Mansion.

Bath, United Kingdom
“stylish from start to finish !!!!”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We dined here last week and although I don’t normally post reviews after reading the one on here I felt compelled to put down my experience as that review is completely unfair on the place. We were greeted at the door and shown into a stylish lounge to order drinks and read the menus. We were offered the choice of 2 menus a set dinner menu and a fine dining menu. The menus were clearly written and concise. We chose from the set menu, I had the crayfish cocktail, which was fresh, spicy and it was obviously with a homemade sauce and my wife had the Goats Cheese Tartlet again all elements you could tell were freshly prepared, I followed with the steak and my wife the chicken, I do like a reasonable portion, but struggled to finish my steak with all the extras it came with, you could tell that it was quality and was so tender. My wifes chicken was very moist and very tasty so cannot understand at all the comments from the other reviewer. We finished with a crème brulee and a platter of cheese, the brulee being very creamy and came with a rose wine poached peach. We had a bottle of wine and drinks on arrival. Our total bill came to just under £80, so am surprised by the other comments about his bill being over £100. This was a highlight of our few days away and can only hope that other readers see that review for what it is.

• Visited August 2012
Tymawrmansion, Owner at Ty Mawr Mansion, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank you for your comments and I am glad that you enjoyed your dining experience here at Ty Mawr Mansion.
This is a new style of menu that we are offering in addition to our Fine Dining menu and the feedback that we have had (with the exception of "the review") has been great and we feel that it offers more choice to our guests when dining here.
I hope we can welcome you here again in the future and thank you for taking the time to submit a review.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wow what more can I say !”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We actually stayed at the hotel and chose to eat in the restaurant both nights it was fine dining at its most exquisite on night one we had a mixture of menus and and on the second the fine dining menu was the one for us !
The food quality is outstanding and guaranteed !
Honours have to go to kath on the starters and amuse bouches as on the second day this was mackerel now I never liked fish and haven't eaten it in 28 yrs however was convinced by our superb waitress to try and I'm glad I did as it was amazing !
I cannot say how brilliant this restaurant is try it you definitely will not be dissapointed ! X

Thank you for your review and so glad you enjoyed your visit to us. I am glad you enjoyed the Mackerel Amuse Bouche that you had whilst dining here, I know that the waitress convinced you to try it and she was pleased that you enjoyed it, as it was locally caught and fresh that day.
All feedback is important to us and our team of chefs and so far this new menu is offering a different style of dining to guests than our fine dining menu but has been well received. We look forward to seeing you again in the future and thank you for your positive comments.
Keynsham, United Kingdom
“Even better than last time!!!!!”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

This is the second time that we have dined here and to be honest it was as good if not better than the first time. The thing that we liked now was there was a choice of 2 menus which is a new addition, one is the fine dining style as before – which my husband decided to have and I chose from the new addition shorter menu. Both meals were cooked and presented perfectly, my steak with tomatoes, big flat mushrooms, crispy onion rings and chips was amazing and my husband also had a steak but his was in a completely different style and presentation but was equally as good. The shorter set menu had a good choice of starters, main courses and desserts. The staff were just as pleasant and helpful as last time. The cost for our dinner was better value than in the other places we went to in the area and we felt it was very good value for money…can’t wait for our next visit….

• Visited August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review, we are glad you enjoyed your dining experience here at Ty Mawr Mansion. With our new set menu our chef is combining more modern cooking techniques but in a simpler style to offer a different choice to our diners.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Ty Mawr Mansion in the future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“The £100 Harvester”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

The starter was billed as a crayfish cocktail. It arrived in a wine glass, drowned in 1000 Island Dressing. The word 'cocktail' should have warned us but i wasn't expecting a crayfish version of the the prawn cocktails you used to get at Berni Inns. I thought for a moment they were having a 70s night. My wife's main course was steak served with 1 mushroom and 1 fried tomato a la Harvester. Mine was what appeared to be Bernard Mathews reconstituted chicked (billed as chicken but suspicously like turkey). It tasted of absolutely nothing. The so-called mint pea jus tasted the same. The rosti beetroot was tough and stringy. We each had a glass of Prosseco - served warm. The cheese and the house red were adequate. The bill for this? £109! I eat at The Ivy for less.

4 Thank 41Islwyn
Tymawrmansion, Owner at Ty Mawr Mansion, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
I am somewhat surprised and upset by this review. We have just started to offer a 4 course set price dinner menu in addition to our fine dining menu after requests by many local diners that they would like a simpler menu but using the same quality produce. As this is only a menu that has been available less than 2 weeks, we have managed to identify who we believe to have written this , which is why it has come as unbelievable due to the following.. The couple asked for 2 glasses of Prosecco, which upon serving from the same bottle, one person said it was fine, one said that they wanted it to be colder, all our wines are served in the recommended temperature from a specifically designed wine chiller. However the waitress was only too happy to accommodate the customers needs and chilled it down further for them. The customer was more than happy. These customers chose the cheaper set dinner menu even thought they had the choice of both this and our fine dining menu. The price of this menu is £29.95 for 4 courses where as the fine dining menu is £39.95 for 5 courses. Both menus include homemade bread, spring water for the table unlike other restaurants in the area. It quite clearly states on the menu Crayfish Cocktail, Tomato Mayonnaise. It was served in a coupe glass (not wine glass) and is crayfish with a homemade tomato spiced mayonnaise not cocktail sauce. The steak is Welsh Black Sirloin steak from Jones Butchers in Lampeter, it is served with a roasted vine tomato and large flat mushroom, tempura onion rings and triple cooked homecut chips. The chicken is free range chicken from the same butchers cooked "sous vide" so retaining all the flavours of the chicken, I cannot comment on if this tastes the same as Bernard Matthews as I have never tried this but would be surprised if it did. I assume that this guest may have confused this as the chicken due to the cooking technique does not look the same as a pan fried chicken breast as it is Vacuum Packed first before cooking "sous vide".
I am glad that the cheese and house wine were of a standard that was acceptable to these guests.
What however does confuse me with this review is that the whole meal and wine cost for these guests came to just £88.35 including a bottle of wine the two 4 course dinners and pre dinner drinks. I note from the invoice that these guests did not pay for the second glass of Prosecco as it was removed from the invoice before the guests came to pay and then they insisted on adding a £13 tip to the invoice, bringing the total up to £101. Although being asked if everything was okay throughout the meal at no point did they make any comments as posted here except with regard to the temperature of one glass of prosecco, which was not charged for. What more can I say !!!!!. If 41Islwyn would like to contact me I would welcome the opportunity to discuss, I have tried to ring them to discuss this matter as we take all reviews seriously but the phone just rings out...