“Great food, fair price. Authentic country pub.”

The New Inn - Ystradfellte
Cuisines: British, Welsh
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The New Inn is a small cosy pub with real history, over 500 years of it! Nestled deep in Waterfall Country, we are surrounded by beautiful walks and wonderful sights. Take a break from exploring the rich and varied countryside for a pint of real ale, local cider, a bottle from our carefully constructed wine list, or one of our range of soft drinks. While you are here, check out our menu and see what specials are on offer. With a variety of traditional pub meals and snacks we aim to offer something for everyone. Our beer garden can seat more than 40 giving you the option of enjoying our lovely Welsh weather, or hiding indoors in front of the fire!
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Popped in while passing by, after taking a wrong turn. Greeted by bar man on the way in, who was very attentive, chatty and personable. Also the Chef at the end of the bar was chatty. Both mine and my partners main course and desert were fantastic.

The menu was halved due to not being busy enough, which is understandable for a smaller set up. We still managed to find something to cater for both myself and partner who is vegetarian.

The decor is typical of a country pub and i'm sure in winter it will provide a cosy atmosphere with the log burner going. The only criticism with regards to decor, is that the smaller finishing touches make a big difference. Also the toilets could do with updating.

Otherwise an ideal place to pop in and get a hearty, quality value for money meal and a great walkers retreat.

1  Thank jamieryan2013

Reviewed August 15, 2013

I live quite locally to this great pub/restaurant, which is in a wonderful and beautiful area for visiting the waterfalls. I, like many other people have a dog and use this area for walking regularly. On many occasions I have wanted to go into the pub during the day and evening, but cannot because the landlord will not have a dog in the pub. This means that I can never go there for dinner on a night out or drop in whenever I am walking the area.

It is a shame - as the pub never seems to be busy and in talking to the landlord about business, he did say that it wasn't very busy. If dogs were welcome I am sure it would attract alot more guests and build the business up. I just think it is strange to have a pub in a rural spot which attracts alot of dog walkers, then not allow dogs in. I go to many other places that allow dogs, and it is those places that get my business. Please let dogs in, so I can come in too!

2  Thank Sue W
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Just had a lovely meal at The New Inn The bar staff and chef were very friendly and welcoming! They have a good range of drinks an interesting menu. Overall, it was great food and great value or money, will be insisting again!

2  Thank newiggs
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We arrived in the evening at this inn...
The barman was very chatty and polite.... The chef/owner was sitting at the znd of the corner and he just grumped about the less money he earns
When we asked for a guinness we didn't get because they dont sell enough. When we asked for the menu the chef said we had to order in 10 min otherwise kithen was closed....
We ordered a pie and gammon and they were VERY GOOD and VERY BIG

2  Thank Ronny M
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I always try to make my reviews objective. For those who have read through a few reviews about this country pub, you may be feeling a little confused since they seem to oscillate between the great and the vitriolic. I think I have worked out why.
The pub is situated in Ystradfellte in the heart of the Brecon Beacons. You are likely to come across it if you have been visiting or are about to visit the nearby waterfalls. There is a large car park and the pub is clean. The barman was charming, chatty, welcoming and as such gave an excellent first impression. The chef at the end of the bar was a bit miserable, telling me about how trade was poor and that all they had that day were 40 people who had used their toilets but bought nothing.There were no other customers, which didn't worry me since it was late afternoon and it was nice having a chat with the barman. The bar was stacked with numerous snacks including sandwich rolls which all look appetising. My wife and her parents were looking for somewhere to eat that evening and so my father-in-law went to strike up a conversation with the chap at the end of the bar dressed as a chef. He quickly pointed out that he was not the chef; he was the owner and from then on the conversation just seemed to die a natural death with the chef, sorry I mean owner disappearing into the kitchen to reflect on why business was so poor.
I have a few observations to help him figure this out: the positive reviews mention excellent food, the negative describe a grumpy/ odd landlord. Deliberate or not, his attitude/ communication skills lost him 4 covers that evening from 4 hungry walkers who were already impressed by the friendly barman. We decided to eat elsewhere, not because we didn't like the look of the menu but rather we begrudged giving our money to a landlord who seemed indifferent to our custom.
My advice to visitors, chat to the barman, avoid the chef/landlord. You might be ok.
By the way. If you intend to pay by card, there is a minimum spend of £20.

3  Thank nobster666