“Never ever entertain this place”
Review of The New Inn

The New Inn
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Welsh
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Under New Management. Situated on the edge of Brecon Beacons National Park & right in the heart of Waterfall Country is The New Inn Ystradfellte. We are a 16th Centuary traditional Welsh Pub with many original features & beer garden. We serve delicious locally sourced food including meat from Brecon & sea food from a local Fish Monger. We also cater well for vegetarians & vegans If you are walking the local waterfalls or the Dinas Rock or visiting local caves, visiting Penderyn Distillery, nearby Pen Y Fan or any of our surrounding areas such as Brecon, Hay on Wye, Abergavenny, Merthyr Tydfil, Neath, Swansea, Cardiff & many others please visit us, you can be assured of a hearty meal, a friendly welcome & a pint of local ale. We are dog friendly & have camping facilities (please enquire over the phone of in the pub). Please note we are small country pub but we can get very busy particularly on weekends so if you can make a reservation we strongly advise it to avoid disappointment. Please note we cook only a Sunday Roast on Sunday's as we do not have the facilities to run a menu as well. We stop cooking Sunday Roast around 4.00pm we then serve from 4.30pm - 7.30pm a limited menu consisting of locally sourced pies, peas & mash (vegan & veggie options) OR homemade curry & chips.
“Never ever entertain this place”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Dont ever go to this place as the landlord is an absolute disgrace of a man! He was rude, abrupt, ignorant and grumpy the price of the drinks was ridiculous my girlfriend had half of a cider and it was £3!! I will go back to yatradfellti because the waterfalls were amazing but I will take my own drinks next time. I will never step foot in this place again!!

Visited July 2013
5 Thank Arran C

Cardiff
“Awful!!!!”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

The manager/owner of this pub is nothing but rude!! Even though I was a paying customer he told me I wasn't able to use the toilets, and needed to walk to the local public ones! He was also serving out of date drinks to customers in the pub. And everyone there while we were there, had nothing but awful things to say about this pub and the people who run it!

2 Thank HayleyE123
Bath, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Yum food at the New Inn”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We had been walking over a number of days having started in Cardiff. We decided to finish our traipse in Ystradfellte. We got chatting with a couple of delightful teachers running a Duke of Edinburgh expedition who gave this place a special mention; they warned us that the owner was a tad grumpy. Being psychologists, we try not to pre-judge people. However, we also experienced a grumpy side of this man, but this was very much softened by the delicious steak and ale pies that we had. I cannot understand the negative comments other people have made about this dish - in my opinion it was very very yum. We were also treated to the delightful Carl who was meant for front of house duties. in his own words he is "44 and still has it". He was willing to share his magic and gave us each a lovely hug as we left to join our landlady for the evening in watching a film. I think it is safe to say we will be back.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank karenrodham
Sully, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful Location Lovely Pub Shame about the .....”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I have lived and worked in Wales most of my adult life and never have i felt so ripped off.

A bitter shandy (pint) for myself and a half pint of lemonade and lime for my partner. Felt hungry so i pick up a bread roll with some pork inside dressed with a bit of apple sauce.

The cost £9.60 they lost a future customer and a planned meal for later on in the evening. The owner here needs some attitude re adjustment therapy with regards to customer service and value.

Avoid this place at all costs. Its simply not worth it. This owner the p*ss with his prices

1 Thank Mark M
Cusco, Peru
“Disappointing food”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This was a welcoming pub in a beautiful place. However, the food was expensive and poor. The steak and ale pie was a sludge of big bits of beef in a thick, floury, tasteless sauce swimming around some islands of leaden shortcrust pastry. The belly of pork in a barbecue sauce was served with panache but was really just lumps of extremely fatty pork belly (one of the cheapest cuts of meat) in an oversweet sauce. I applaud any pub that actually cooks its own food but the chef should perhaps consult some good books on cooking meat. As for calling itself a gastro pub...if the owner should visit one of the real gastro pubs in Wales he would see what an absurdity this claim is.

1 Thank Francisco731