“Ex Pat Taffy”

Ranked #5 of 17 Restaurants in Llandovery
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Neuadd Arms pub and restaurant is a family run business situated in the hamlet of Cilycwm, three miles north of Llandovery, in the beautiful Towy Valley. It is a great place for locals and visitors alike to experience great food, good beer and fine wines. Our menu caters for all who appreciate great food and is inspired by tradition and created with imagination. All our food is cooked from scratch using where possible locally sourced ingredients including Lamb from our farm just down the road. We serve a traditional Sunday lunch between 12-3 pm. Booking is advisable We can cater for small dinner parties and occasions such as Birthday Parties, Anniversaries, Charity Events and Fundraisers.
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We decidedto visit the Neuadd Fawr after checking Trip Advisor on a family run in south Wales.
Ourt visit confimed that all the reports already given were justified. We decided to dine in the small but beautifully decorated dining room. It is away from the drinkers and other diners and therefore a room to relax in. My wife and i both chose the Whole Trout with white asparagus, vegetables and potatoes. We followed this up with the home made Gooseberry and Ginger ice Cream.
This meal was 2Gastropb Dining" without the normal accompaning cost. The service, decor, quality and quantity of the food were of the highest. Further visits required.

1  Thank Huw P

Reviewed July 2, 2013

We went deliberately to the Neuadd Fawr Arms as we had received strong personal recommendations to do so. We were staying in the area for five days. We had made no plans other than to enjoy the scenery and nature (in particular the Red Kites). At the time we visited the bar and restaurant was not open during the day - off season. That first night after a tiring day my wife and I walked into the bar got a drink, in my case a pint of decent local ale, and read the menu chalked on the blackboard. It read like a well composed poem. We ate heartily of thoughtfully assembled foods - an unctuous pie (guinea fowl and rabbit) for me served with a good sized helping of roasted vegetables and afterwards great homemade ice-cream quirkily presented in a bone china teacup on matching saucer. I should mention that shortly after we were seated we were served with some form of flat bread as a gratis starter, a great idea since preparation time on freshly prepared food can sometimes be a little lengthy.

As we were so impressed by our meal we made sure to return again and as often as chance would permit, each meal as thoughtful as the first, a fish dish cooked with care, taken from the pan before texture and taste suffered. Liver dark and caramelised on the outside, pink and tender inside with rich tasting onion gravy. Each followed by a great dessert. Decent coffee to follow.

I cannot fault the food, it was all very good and some was truly great. The service was friendly and prompt, any question about the menu was answered without leaving me feeling uneducated, we chose to eat in a corner of the bar which was “buzzy” (by which I mean that there was a pleasant level of conversation at the bar itself)

The bar and the small (16 or so) dining room were furnished in keeping with the historic nature of the building, once the estate office of Neuadd Fawr. Lighting was discreet, bright enough – not too bright. As one of your other reviewers mentioned, the floor in the bar has enormous slates which must be as old as the building itself. There were quilts on some of the bench seats and on one wall which also seemed in keeping with the bar décor.

Last but not least the toilets although Spartan were always clean, a must in any decent premises.

What did I or didn’t I like (since you suggest this should feature in any review)
I didn’t like the television (only one) high up on the wall near the door.
I did like the fact that each time we were there it was off……and I suppose as you can determine from my review I loved everything else. This is a true rural delight, an unspoiled country pub with the addition of great food.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

What a lovely place and a great welcome too. We had a wonderful roast beef Sunday lunch. There was a good atmosphere in the restaurant and all the tables were full. I will definitely be going back for more when in the area. You couldn't fault any of it, worth every penny.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Given where this pub is my expectations were not very high (this area is not overburdened with great eateries). That is not to damn with faint praise though. This really was excellent from start to finish. Home made food, including some fabulous ice creams, of the highest standard coupled with good service. Some good beers and ciders on tap too - what more could you ask for? The owners even seem to be doing a good job of keeping the local drinkers happy as well as the diners, which, is a very delicate balance. Full marks all round & highly recommended.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We were taken here by friends for a quiet evening meal - a long trip from our home in Tregaron but well worth the drive. The food was quite simply the best we have had for a long time and the décor is lovely. Our friends wanted to eat in the bar but that was busy so we ate in the dining room, which was peaceful and stunning. The price was reasonable and we will definitely be back there. Just hope it isn't found by too many people - but enough to keep it open for years to come!