“Off the beaten track”
Review of The Royal Oak Inn

The Royal Oak Inn
Ranked #4 of 13 Llandovery B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Was travelling alone on a flying visit and needed somewhere to stay overnight and a single room with breakfast for £32.50 fitted the bill. The single room was basic and had use of a shared bathroom but I knew that before I booked.
I followed my satnav along a very narrow road and thought I might actually be lost but arrived safely at my destination and had a warm welcome. After a seven hour drive the first thing I needed was a drink. A selection of real ales and ciders await you, I started with a Welsh cider. I then proceeded to my room to change. As stated it was, quaint, basic and clean, but more than adequate for my needs. This is a 200 year old building, if you want modern this is not the place for you.
I returned to the bar and tried another cider, a local Perry and ordered food. The menu was extensive but I only wanted a small meal so ordered a "burger and chips". This was no ordinary burger but made on site from locally sourced Welsh beef. Although not "locals" Christopher and Rachel believe in supporting the local economy.
I finished my meal and sat at the bar for the remainder of the evening and continued to sample the various ales and ciders on offer. The atmosphere in the bar was excellent and the conversation enjoyable, hosts and his guests gave the bar a very convivial atmosphere. If I was passing again this would be my stop of choice.
A good nights sleep was followed by a hearty breakfast, this kept me going for my return home that day.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
rachelbyrne, Owner at The Royal Oak Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Thank you so much or taking the time to write such a lovely review. It is always heartening to know that our guests enjoy our hospitality as we work hard to achieve the warm welcome that you described. We agree that our burgers are 'no ordinary burger' - Chris enjoys them too! The rooms that you stayed in are very popular due to the tariff, and we do have ensuite rooms as well if guests wish to spend a little more for larger rooms with their own bathroom. I will pass your comments about the cleanliness onto Kristina, our housekeeper. She will be delighted to know that her efforts are being noticed.

There are newer reviews for The Royal Oak Inn

Reviewed June 1, 2013

We last visited this pub about 2 years ago and decided to return .Two adults and one child visited and the pub was very busy and we were lucky to get a table. The food was lovely and an adult meal was changed to a child's size meal with no fuss. lots of local people appeared to be there and it was a really nice welcoming pub with high quality food, locally sourced.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
rachelbyrne, Owner at The Royal Oak Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Thank you so much for such lovely feedback. We always try to accommodate our visitors and we were only to happy to find room for you. We are also heartened to hear that our guests value our local food policy, where we try to source local whenever possible. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

I stayed there with my teenage grandchildren. They were made very welcome. Food was absolutely delicious. Even the teenagers were impressed and did not insist on burgers and chips, but were ready to try something new, and enjoyed it.

Choice of wines excellent. The hosts were very friendly and we enjoyed speaking to the local people and also other guests staying at there the same weekend.

The rooms were very comfortable and we all had a good night's sleep.

Breakfast was very good and a very varied choice. Would definitely book another weekend when next in the area.

Room Tip: Family room was excellent. Other choices available
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for making the effort to write a review on your stay with us. It's great to know that our guests value the work we do and that it makes your stay enjoyable. We'll see you again soon hopefully.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Have been here more than once. Last time with a party of friends, one of which has a severe wheat allergy. This B & B really catered for her allergy - separate cooking pans, utensils etc. She said that it was great being able to eat in total confidence.
The choice of food must also be mentioned - not your bog standard scampi and chips, rather a wide choice of excellent dishes, all good value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms furthest from the entrance to the pub are quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. we are only to happy to cater to guests special dietary requirements and we are glad to hear that it was noticed. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed here immediately after Easter. Nothing was too much trouble for Rachel and Christopher. They were very flexible and understanding when we brought in an extra person for a breakfast at sort notice and then had to cut our trip short by a day.
The bar has a fine selection of real ales, and the food is very good. We intend to return to the area and to stay at the Royal Oak again.

Room Tip: Our room at the front had a lovely view over the valley. It was undergoing minor redecoration during...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
rachelbyrne, Owner at The Royal Oak Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are on the last part of our renovation journey and we are glad to hear that our lovely customers approve! It was a pleasure to meet you, and it is great to hear our efforts are appreciated. The fact that our guests are happy makes it all worth while.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Arrived late Saturday pm,landlord very helpful .Rooms good.decent bathroom.Food excellant nice atmosphere lovely and warm with open fire.
Put us up a packed lunch and left cereal etc for us as we were leaving before 7.00am.
Decent small car park secure.I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
rachelbyrne, Owner at The Royal Oak Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Thank you so much for your lovely comments and for taking the time to post them. It was a pleasure to meet you and we are delighted that you enjoyed yourself.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We walked in cold and hungry and we were met with a brilliant open fire and a great selection of food on the boards. The Fish and Chips was to die for.... seriously the best I have had since I was a child. My wife chose the Puy Lentil Bake with Goats Cheese and Garlic Bread which she said was top notch- but I'll take her word for it. The place is worth coming to for just the beer or the food or the views through the village or the atmosphere so to have all together makes it a total gem!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
rachelbyrne, Owner at The Royal Oak Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to write your review. I will pass your kind comments onto our staff and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Llandovery
The Plough Inn
#2 of 3 in Llandeilo
Castle Hotel
Castle Hotel
#3 of 13 in Llandovery

Been to The Royal Oak Inn? Share your experiences!