“Mixed feelings but overall good.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Castle Hotel Restaurant

The Castle Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 16 Restaurants in Llandovery
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Welsh
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cross Hands
“Mixed feelings but overall good.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

We visited late one sunny Saturday afternoon. The menu had changed slightly since our last visit added to that the specials board there was plenty of choice. My husband had the scotch egg as a starter - this is his usual choice and we can not recommend it enough as it is lovely, the other three of us opted do the special Mussels starter - ths turned out to be tasteless and bland. All our mains, however were superb. The coffee was a vast improvement from our last visit.
Service is difficult to judge as we had at least 5 different members of staff trending to us at different times, they were all pleasant but a couple had difficulties understanding our strong accents.
Some of the meals are a little too pricey but overall an enjoyable meal out.

• Visited July 2013

Wales
“Good food, friendly service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

A good meal, nice varied Menu and absolutely delicious puddings.
The staff were friendly and efficient, the service was speedy but no pressure to us from staff to hurry.
Lovely relaxed couple of hours, will go back soon.

• Visited June 2013
Llandovery
“Castle Hotel, Llandovery”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

I have eaten here on several occasions and it is true to say the food varies from excellent to just above average. It is quite expensive and the portions are such that most people could easily manage 3 courses. In my opinion, not the best value for money. However, food is usually good and it is nicely presented though I am not a great fan of eating a dessert in a small bottling jar (with attached lid hanging open) placed on a wooden board! Service varies wildly, depending whether you get a regular member of staff or seasonal. Again, the wine by the glass should be better so I end up having to purchase a bottle and take half home. Certainly the best place to eat in Llandovery.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Angela Y
London, United Kingdom
“Whipped cream tea???”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

I ordered a cream tea and received a stale scone that had been re-heated and was like a rock and to my absolute horror a pot of whipped cream! The jam was raspberry and not strawberry and was so bitter it was inedible. When the waiter came to take everything away I told him that I couldn't eat it and he didn't even apologise or offer me something else. He didn't speak English very well so I'm not sure that he actually understood what I was saying but the fact that the cream tea had gone unbeaten should've been a clue. Really disappointing and would try the Pengawse Tea Rooms next time instead.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Buckinghamshire
“Ok food- over priced though”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

My fish was ruined in their bbq oven. The steaks were good but expensive as were the drinks. Little lad behind the bar was very charming.

Visited May 2013