WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“New remodel looks nice but apparently covered up cheap construction.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Residence Inn Memphis East

Residence Inn Memphis East
Ranked #48 of 137 Hotels in Memphis
GreenLeadersBronze level
tupelo, ms
“New remodel looks nice but apparently covered up cheap construction.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for the weekend, and I debated on whether or not we should because of past bad reviews. Well they had a big renovation last year and from the photos and some of the recent reviews it seemed nice so we gave it a shot. We stayed in one of the outside buildings which is kinda set up like apartments. We were on the bottom floor and from the get go the people above us were extremely loud. Now I do not blame the hotel for the them being loud but the floor was so thin that we heard everything! We could hear them talking, walking, the children running around, every time they flushed the toilet we heard it! I went to the desk on our way out to dinner and asked if we could change rooms if we got back and they were still loud. The very nice guy at the desk said that would be fine. So, we get back from dinner and they apparently had gone to sleep, so we just decided to stay. Now the next problem; we lay down (on the very firm, uncomfortable bed) and we start hearing this knocking noise from the kitchen area, then it goes away for a bit, then it starts again, and on and on all night. I recorded the noise to play for the desk the next morning. Well early the next morning our loud neighbors up stairs wake us up and we get up and decide to get the heck out of there. I go to the front desk to check out and I tell the girl there about the knocking noise and play it for her on my phone. She tells me they will have someone look at it, but I guess I was expecting a little more than that. I didn't mention the loud guests because once again that is not their fault. I really never leave bad reviews and I would not rate this hotel as "poor" because I'm sure under other circumstances it could have been more acceptable but it was my worst night in a hotel for comfort and sleep and I have stayed in many hotels. I personally probably won't stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't stay on bottom floor of outside buildings because of noise. You MUST like very firm mattre...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
ocean springs, ms
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

The staff was warm and helpful and the room was very nice. Everything was clen and the breakfast was good. We didn't eat the evening meal but it looked adequate,esp since it was complimentary. We will stayhereagin

Room Tip: The "penthouse" has two bedrooms and two baths, very roomy though the living room is a bit...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Indianapolis, IN
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

In the past I worked for Marriott for 3 years. I know Marriott's expected quality. This hotel was absolutely, positively awful. To be honest, Marriott should remove the name Marriott from this property. The hotel front desk clerk was awesome and very professional. He was extremely patient while handling a Marriott employee who was staying at the hotel using the employee rate while throwing a party for approximately 50 people. The security and front clerk desk removed the party-goers which we appreciated.
However, the property is terrible:
1. The pullout sofa didn't have any linen. We had to go to the front desk and get linen for the pullout bed
2. The window which looked out on the lobby had a footprint in the middle of it.
3. The closet that had the furnace was ripped open and the furnace vent had been ripped apart and was hanging out the closet.
4. The light bulbs did not work
5. Since the furnace was ripped apart, the heat did not work
6. There was hair and toenails on the bathroom floor.
7. The breakfast was absolutely possible.
8. The guy who cooked the breakfast looked dirty. We decided not to eat at the hotel
9. A lady told the guy they were out of decaf so he poured half of the regular coffee into the decaf container and stirred it.
I will never stay at this hotel again. I feel terrible for the front desk staff.

Room Tip: I caution you, do not stay here.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Travis M, General Manager at Residence Inn Memphis East, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property/business. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations.

Having worked for Marriott in the past you know we take every issue very seriously. I would like to have an opportunity to discuss the issues with you personally. Please contact me directly at the hotel at 901-685-9595.

Travelers are raving about these Memphis hotels

Parkville, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

This Residence Inn is worthy of the Marriott name. The front desk and housekeeping staff were friendly and efficient. The common areas and rooms were stylish and more importantly clean. I stayed at this Residence Inn for about half a day a few years ago before having to be relocated to another property due to the poor conditions and lackluster attitude of the staff. This time around I was quite impressed. I recommend this property to anyone wanting a central location while visiting Memphis.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mangus620
Spring Hill, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

I recently stayed here on a business trip and found the staff to be friendly and helpful. I was about to enter the back door with my hands full when an employee ran to open it for me. The staff at the check-in desk were so friendly. They made me feel right at home the instant I walked in the door. The breakfast and social hour staff came around to be sure I had eveything I needed and even offered to get me juice. The room was like a small apartment, spacious and a great place to work. The bed and pillows were comfortable and the room was quiet. I had a great night's sleep away from home. I will stay here every time I visit Memphis.

Room Tip: An inside room is a great option
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank stephaniestorm
Cinnaminson, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Second stay in 4 week period. The ONLY reason i use this hotel is for the kitchen. Because otherwise the location and housekeeping at this hotel are subpar. As usual room was not stocked or cleaned properly. By my third day I left a very large bill with a note on the counter with instructions for what needed to be done and restocked. I should not have to do this - ever. This time i noticed that the hotel also allows grown men to loiter around the property seemingly all day, and these were not hotel employees on a smoke break. I only know this because 3 of my six days there i left early and traveled back at lunch to see them in the same location and again in the early and late evening. And in the morning it was always fun to make my way through the " construction" workers waiting under the overhang outside for their daily pickup. This was my last stay at this property.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Kelli M
West Chester, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

We had a two bedroom "penthouse" suite for our night which was very spacious. The room had been recently remodeled and was clean with a full kitchen as at all RIs. The main drawback to this location is that it is right next to train tracks with freight trains passing by several times during the night. Other than that the room was quiet and we got a great night's sleep

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family