“Bottom of the barrel.”

Ranked #60 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Dallas, Texas
“Bottom of the barrel.”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

This is the WORST Red Roof Inn I have ever stayed in. Door lock did not work right, carpet filthy, mattress worn out, lumpy pillows, bathroom fixtures broken and just a terrible room atmosphere. Outside ice machine was not working because management said "it was too cold outside." I checked out after one day never to return.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Taxman9922

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Needed an overnight stay on a long trip. Definitely wouldn't have stayed here more than that. The rooms smelled like smoke and the sheets were stained yellow. There were cigarette burns in the blankets. Stray hairs in the beds and in the bathroom. One of the sealed plastic cups had a lipstick stain on it. I've stayed in some crummy hotels on the road, but this was one of the grossest. When we woke up excited to leave, there were a dozen armed cops raiding the building. Thankfully nothing went down that I could tell but I couldn't wait to leave.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank TomWF
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Ok I stayed at this place some time ago and forgot to do a review sorry to those that stayed here since that time. I will start here I and my compaion at the time drove from Fl just to do a road trip that was are thing. It was late about 2am and we both were super sleepy so decided to do something we never do stay at a cheap hotel, we were at odds between this dump and the Super8 just across the street. This place looked ok at 2am so we said what the hell lets just stay here. BAD MOVE!!!!!!! She checked us in and said I'm not to sure about this I was driving all day so I was sleeping in the car when this happened. So we get in the room and look at each other like OMGosh WTF! It smelled not bad but looked gross but had a cigarette oder we dont smoke though. Good thing we had blankets and pillows in the car because it would have given us nightmares to sleep on that bed. We even took shower with socks and flip flops on, yes that bad. Then we see two young kids next door I from a big city so i know what was up they were for sale to say it in a nice way(if you can). Other then that Memphis was great next time I'll spring for the Peabody, hopefully with same company.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!!!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KingFatty
HOUSTON
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We have stayed here on at least a half dozen times, maybe more. It is a reasonable overnight flop house. It is basic. There are two room types, we prefer the 'business class' which has a little more room and amenities. The pet policy is really what keeps bringing us back. We don't usually take advantage of the Cracker Barrel restaurant, but opt for the nearby Starbucks.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Fort Myers Beach, Florida
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Red Roof Inn East Sycamore View, Memphis:
     Can You Expect Red Roof Inn Memphis East To Pick Up The Garbage for $55.65? 8/17/12

We decided to stay cheap in East Memphis. We checked into room 144 and didn’t expect much for only $55.65 for 3 adults and 2 pets. There wasn’t any guest laundry. There wasn’t any CP breakfast in the lobby in the morning. And ridiculously enough they provided only a small purse pack of Kleenex instead of a standard box like most motels. They didn’t even have any sheer drapes but only one set of dark curtains to block out the sun. But even for that cheap price I expected basic sanitation. It’s bad enough that they provided only one trash can in the room to most motels two cans. But outside the room the garbage can at the end of the sidewalk was overflowing. When we checked in we asked them to pick it up. Two hours later it was still overflowing. I called and asked again. Finally half an hour later did they deign to pick it up and give their guests somewhere to throw their trash.
P.S.  The hotel room was old and cheap. They didn’t empty the garbage can outside near our room. The carpet was torn in several places. It was dangerous, especially near the door. You could trip over it. The floor was sloped and not perfectly flat. It was disorienting, especially at night time. It wasn’t a place you’d want to stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed @ the red roof on Shelby oaks on 12/7. The outside & location looked good! From the start we had issues , we were charged a higher price than quoted, in turn the receptionist had to correct & chg our card 3 Times, in turn tying up those funds for 7 business days. Enter the non smoking room & could've sworn it was smoking.. The air quality was horrible & the room had a dust smell to it. The room had dirty towels, dirty micro fridge (check out the pics). It appeared that this room hadnt been cleaned in months!! The next morning we immediately checked out(planned a 3 night stay). The receptionist showed no emphaty & simply said call the mgr Monday, nothing I can do!!!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Road_runna_1
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed November 28, 2012

The hotel and room is very old, dirty and outdated. The carpet was very dirty, rumpled, torn and smelly. The sheet on the bed was turned inside out thus, making me think that it was not changed from the previous guest. The tub water drained very slowly. There weren't a coffee pot, frig, microwave, iron or hair dryer in the room. As I traveled back home and passed many Red Roof Inns, it seems that all of them looked the same. The hotels are in need of a good pressure washing and painting. I WILL NOT sleep at another Red Roof Inn!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel,
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple