“Good value- good position”

DoubleTree by Hilton Memphis Downtown
Ranked #29 of 137 Hotels in Memphis
Manchester UK
“Good value- good position”
Reviewed September 22, 2009

A very respectable hotel well-positioned just a few blocks from the real draw for the city - Beale Street. It is adjacent to the Greyhound station and our room overlooked it but we heard no noise whatsoever. The room was clean and comfortable and did what it said on the tin. The warm cookies on check-in were a nice touch too!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Korean first
Omaha, NE
Reviewed September 17, 2009

I was pleasantly surprised at our recent stay. I read many of these reviews and was a bit worried. Check in took awhile, it was quite busy, maybe 1/2 hour wait. The hallway was a bit worn and dated but our room, #523 (I think), was great. Carpet did not look worn in the room. Bathroom was clean. Furniture was nice. I will say the window was a bit dirty and the window blinds, but overall, I was fine with it. I would rate it at average. It was clean and that goes a long way.

I agree with other posters, the parking situation is a mess. We arrived about 3:30 in the afternoon and it was a complete cluster. Not enough room in the front for loading and unloading. However, to retrieve our vehicle on two occasions, the wait was fairly short, maybe 5 to 10 minutes.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Janet3764
Phoenix
Reviewed September 7, 2009

This is a downtown hotel with a downtown price and a recognizable name, so expectations tend to be fairly high. In some ways it's good, but overall it left me cold.

The location is across from the minor-league ballpark, a couple of blocks from Beale Street, and about a half-mile from the convention center. Needless to say there are a ton of great restaurants within walking distance (I recommend the Texas de Brazil). There is the usual rip-off valet fee ($20/night) that you expect in downtown hotels, but at least they give you unlimited ins and outs, and it's the same at all the big hotels in Memphis. Be warned, they don't have enough valets so in the morning you'll wait a while to get your car, and in the evening there is a line of cars on the street waiting to get in to the overly small driveway.

Check-in is fast and friendly with a complimentary warm cookie. The hotel is an inner-courtyard style, with glass elevators and a nice area to meet with your colleagues. It seems to be either a renovated old hotel, or an homage to some old-time hotel. There is a TGI Fridays off the lobby, which is unremarkable except that they give you a coupon for a complimentary breakfast buffet there each morning, and it is excellent. There's even an omelette guy.

Upstairs, the hallway carpets are kind of worn and decrepit. The room door was very hard to open probably due to swelling in the humidity, but when I complained they fixed it right away. The room was very small but had a kind of elegant/modern/deco decor to it. The bed was comfortable, but the 7 assorted pillows all flattened to nothing when you put your head to them. The A/C was effective but had some annoying clicks when it kicked on and off. The bath amenities were very nice. The wireless internet worked very well, and while there were very few outlets in the room, there was one on the work desk which was nice. There was a flat-screen TV, but there were only like 10 channels, and not the ones you'd expect. Translation: have stuff for the kids to do, cause the TV isn't going to occupy them.

The room was clean, but the window situation ... there were horizontal wood blinds that had no open/close control (it was broken off); there were drapes, but the pull-thing to open and close them was broken off and laying on the window sill; and there was a disgusting old towel stuffed in around the window frame.

So, overall I'd say it's "okay" but not great; I'd stay here again but only if the company was paying for it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
charleston sc
Reviewed August 1, 2009

We stayed at the Doubletree for 2 nights. The room was very small and cramped for the price. The light on the bedside table would not turn off because the switch was missing. The window was filthy, and the blind was broken would not stay up unless tied! No fridge or microwave were available for our room. The bed was comfortable with plenty of pillows. The window did open to allow in the music and night air which was very enjoyable.
The rugs were stained everywhere and the place is in need of an upgrade and good cleaning.
Trying to pull up to the entrance is comical! The small corner area fits 3 cars max and is on a busy street. parking is valet only and $20.00 per day. Most of the staff was very pleasant and helpful.
The breakfast at TGIF which is attached to the hotel was just awful... my french toast was so greasy it looked more like a sponge than food. The service at the restaurant was very friendly and helpful.
We will not return to this hotel when there are better choices in town!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
USA
Reviewed July 27, 2009

The Hotel was disgusting and staying there has resulted in serious health concerns. First, upon arrival to the room, the room never had any towels what so ever. The room never got below 88 degrees. Upon receipt of the towel, which took an hour, they were damp. Next, the one night stay resulted in numerous bites all on my legs and ankles, I assume either bed bugs or flees. So, prior to my stay I was health and bit free now following my stay I have a head cold, possibly from the 88 degree room in mid-July, damp and possibly dirty towels, or possibly the room had some sort of mold and my legs are covered with large red and itching bits. If you care about your health I recommending staying anywhere but here. All the service was very uncaring and unprofessionally rude. After requesting management assistance, there was never any to be found. I have contacted the health department and I would not recommend staying here until you see an updated inspection to ensure that this establishment is properly in code.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Memphis hotels

Birmingham, AL
Reviewed July 27, 2009

I've never seen worse service at any hotel in my life. I was in town for a wedding and did not get to fully enjoy my stay as my experience at the hotel was ruined. As I arrived I was greeted by a very rude valet driver. Before getting ready for my wedding, my power went out and I contacted someone from maintenance that did not show up until 30 minutes later- I was late to the wedding. There was unfriendly staff including one that accused me of "butting into" his conversation as I was trying to help a little old lady get her own problems resolved. There was vomit in the elevator in which I mentioned to the front desk on Saturday evening and was told it was being handled. However it was still there on Sunday morning. As we were leaving it took entirely too long to retrieve our cars. Worst of all- this hotel does have BED BUGS!!! My group wasn't even the ones complaining, there were plenty of others as well. Never once was I given a manager to speak to and as I continue to call the hotel after my stay they continue to tell me there is not one available. I WILL NEVER stay in this hotel again and I can assure you that I will continue to file my complaint as I have ruined clothes from the bugs and increased expenses due to the cream prescribed by my doctor to cure the itching that is all over my legs.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank mmd222
Worldwide
Reviewed July 23, 2009

My wife and I were here in Memphis on business and stayed with the DT chain for the first time. Fairly charming rooms though a bit smaller than I'd prefer. Complimentary wi-fi, very clean and well-kept, big flat-screen LCD TV. But no safe in the room nor umbrella to take for a day of rain - little things that may matter to some. (Very good) Breakfast at the adjoining TGI Fridays. Huge cavernous lobby. We requested a room change hours after checking in as we were put over the building's generators, causing a steady hum and low vibrating in the room. On this they hemmed and hawed while dragging their feet, moving us only late the next day. On 2 of 4 days there only 1 of the 3 elevators worked causing some delay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business