“Bed Bug Infestation At Memphis Doubletree”

DoubleTree by Hilton Memphis Downtown
Ranked #31 of 139 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed July 27, 2009

I've never seen worse service at any hotel in my life. I was in town for a wedding and did not get to fully enjoy my stay as my experience at the hotel was ruined. As I arrived I was greeted by a very rude valet driver. Before getting ready for my wedding, my power went out and I contacted someone from maintenance that did not show up until 30 minutes later- I was late to the wedding. There was unfriendly staff including one that accused me of "butting into" his conversation as I was trying to help a little old lady get her own problems resolved. There was vomit in the elevator in which I mentioned to the front desk on Saturday evening and was told it was being handled. However it was still there on Sunday morning. As we were leaving it took entirely too long to retrieve our cars. Worst of all- this hotel does have BED BUGS!!! My group wasn't even the ones complaining, there were plenty of others as well. Never once was I given a manager to speak to and as I continue to call the hotel after my stay they continue to tell me there is not one available. I WILL NEVER stay in this hotel again and I can assure you that I will continue to file my complaint as I have ruined clothes from the bugs and increased expenses due to the cream prescribed by my doctor to cure the itching that is all over my legs.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank mmd222
Write a ReviewReviews (1,949)

Reviewed July 23, 2009

My wife and I were here in Memphis on business and stayed with the DT chain for the first time. Fairly charming rooms though a bit smaller than I'd prefer. Complimentary wi-fi, very clean and well-kept, big flat-screen LCD TV. But no safe in the room nor umbrella to take for a day of rain - little things that may matter to some. (Very good) Breakfast at the adjoining TGI Fridays. Huge cavernous lobby. We requested a room change hours after checking in as we were put over the building's generators, causing a steady hum and low vibrating in the room. On this they hemmed and hawed while dragging their feet, moving us only late the next day. On 2 of 4 days there only 1 of the 3 elevators worked causing some delay.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank BrianandElla
Reviewed July 20, 2009

Stayed over in Memphis this past weekend and made the mistake of staying at the Doubletree Downtown. Don't get me wrong, the staff was very nice, but the hallway carpets are very dirty, and the hallways themselves are hot and dimly lit.

Check in, and out, was a breeze. The security officer in the parking garage where we parked our motorcycles was able to help us with traffic directions. The parking garage is VERY poorly maintained, with only about 6 working lights on the ground floor and NONE on the second floor. Coming and going at night was an experience. Valet don't do bikes.

Overall the place is overpriced for the level of wear and tear. $148 a night is about $60 too much a night. New carpets and turning the a/c on would go a long way towards bringing it in line with their charging rate.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2009

We stayed at the Doubletree for the weekend. The staff were all very friendly. The room was very nice and the staff at the restaurant were also very, very nice. Location is excellant and I would highly recommenend this hotel to others. Yes the parking is $20 per day but you have in and out privileges and the expense is probably due to the lack of parking downtown. Parking is much cheaper than other cities such as Chicago. Went to a couple of Redbirds games and it was wonderful to just walk across the street and be at our hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2009

I've just spent 3 nights in Memphis as part of a road trip and booked into the Doubletree because of it's great location - and there was a good deal on Expedia!!!

I don't recognise the Doubletree I stayed in as the one described by TravelingBands2008. From check-in to check-out every member of staff I met was friendly and helpful. The rooms were large and spotless. Ok, there is a $20 dollar valet-parking charge - I'm sure you could any of the garages a few blocks away if you want - but the hotel lot is very secure.

I never used the TGI in the evening but I did have the breakfast one morning. $11.95 all you could eat buffet with made to order omlettes. Eric was working the omlette/waffle staion when I was in there. The guy is an absolute star.

If I ever get back to Memphis, I would have no problems staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed June 3, 2009

This hotel claims to be great because it is located downtown near Beale Street! We went to see Memphis in May and everything was great OTHER THAN THE HOTEL! Only restaurant is fridays and the staff is RUDE! The hotel is not clean, you have to pay $20.00 to valet your car. There is NO PARKING! Staff has no regard for the guests - talking about their personal lives. Like I care. I was tired, my room was not cleaned when we got back to change at 6:30pm. Bad experience. Not worth the money!

Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 30, 2009

We stayed for one evening around St. Patrick's Day. The location is excellent in the heart of downtown Memphis, close to the trolley, Beale Street, Civil Rights Museum, restaurants, the ballpark, etc. They have valet parking. Upon arrival, some random guy sitting on a bench in front of the hotel warned us to take all of our stuff with us, so I have a feeling their garage might not be the safest place to leave anything important in your vehicle.

The Room:
The room was definitely sleek and modern. It was clean and comfy with enough room for large furniture pieces. There was even a magazine where you could order the items featured in the room for your own use.

Features:
Internet is complimentary! Breakfast is downstairs at the TGIFridays connected to the lobby, and it was definitely the best breakfast ever! It was a buffet with great food along with made-to-order omelettes. Kids under 18 eat free!

I wouldn't mind staying there again if I were to ever visit Memphis, but unfortunately, we were on a road trip, so we couldn't stay long.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family