“Great time” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #28 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Louisville, Kentucky
“Great time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

We go to the hotel at about 1:30 in the afternoon, too early to check-in, we left our luggage to explore and find something to eat. When we get back there's a lobby full of folks checking in so we got in line, as well. Our room wasn't ready....what? Front desk attendant tells me, "You are a gold member and we are trying to keep you on the 10th floor, so your rooms isn't ready let me check on it." In the meantime others are continuing to check-in, uhh yeah. We sat for another 30 minutes or so and then were able to check-in. CRAZY! The rest of our stay was uneventful. Hotel location was close to Beale street, so we were able to walk, to resturants there. Rooms were nice. The breakfast at TGIF's was nice. There was wine and beer coupons given out for the manager's reception, I don't drink either but the drink specials at TGIF's were very good, $3 margaritas, mojitos, and lon island teas.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Korean first
Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Overall our two night stay was great, although we had a bit of trouble getting in to our room. We arrived about 40 minutes before check in and understood when they said the room wasn't ready. At this point Alicia offered to put us on a list and call us when the room was available. We sat in the lobby and then about 3:05 (check-in time) we noticed that people were walking up to the front desk and immediately checking in...to say the least this annoyed us. I walked up to the front desk and told Miguel that we had been waiting and were a bit annoyed that we had not been called by Alicia when the rooms were obviously ready. Miguel was fantastic, apologized, and got us into our room very quickly. We were grateful for Miguel's professionalism at that point. The room itself was lovely and everything I expect from a Hilton Hotel. I will say that there weren't many plugs in the room and we had to unplug lamps and alarms so that we could charge our phones and computer, but that didn't really take away from the stay. In valet Brandon was also wonderful. We asked him to get a phone charger out of the car and he came back saying he had accidentally knocked some things out of the arm rest and wanted us to go through it with him so we would know he didn't break anything. This was a nice touch and was much appreciated. As I said, overall this was a great hotel and I will stay here again if I ever find myself in Memphis.

Room Tip: Rooms on floors 6 and below open up to the lobby and therefore may be more noisy. We stayed on the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Tyler, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

The parking was expensive, but I got a great rate on the room so I can't complain. We parked the car when we got to the hotel and never needed it again until check out. The location is very convenient to everything downtown.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ghee A, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you so much for your flattering comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am glad you had a great time. I will be sure to share your comments with the team and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.
Ava, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

My family stayed at this hotel when we went to the Memphis Redbirds. The location of this hotel was right across the street from the stadium. The staff was very friendly and the hotel very clean. Extremely happy with this stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. I am glad to hear that you had a great time. The Redbirds are having a great season and I am thrilled that you could catch a game. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Memphis.
Springfield, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

We drove to Memphis for a 3-day weekend. My friend found the Doubletree Hilton rate was good and booked it. It's in a great location, right across the street from the ballpark and the Peabody, and a couple blocks from Beale Street. The welcome from the staff was nice, especially with the warm chocolate chip cookie for everyone! (I didn't know that was a Doubletree staple!) The appearance of the hotel was nice inside the lobby (attached to a TGI Fridays). Our room was nice and comfortable. It's not perfect because it's an older hotel but we got a great discounted rate and were very happy. The bedding, drapes and décor made it very comfortable. It was very quiet there. They had Crabtree & Evelyn products in the bathroom. The only problem we had was with concierge service. I don't think there was one. We asked questions about shopping while our husbands play golf and didn't get much help. We asked where Sun Records Studio was and the valet pointed and said it was about a mile down the street. Well, it was a long walk but probably not a mile but we probably should NOT have walked it because it was a questionable area with graffiti and bars on windows, etc. There were four of us so it wasn't terrible (no one else was walking) but they should have offered a taxi or suggested a shuttle. Sun Records has their own shuttle so we rode that back. We went to the Peabody the next day to see the ducks and they had an excellent concierge service so we got information, she had directions/address cards all made up for different destinations, and she directed us to the back door where there were cabs lined up waiting!! So my friend and I took a cab to a shopping area and our husbands picked us up on their way back from golf. Overall for the price and comfort, this Doubletree was great! (Go to Rendezvous Ribs, a must, for lunch just a block down in an alley from the Doubletree & Peabody. VERY awesome ribs place with excellent dry ribs! On Beale St., go to BB King's Blues Club #1 for excellent food and awesome entertainment! #2 on Beale would be Silky O'Sullivans) We are empty nesters and had a great weekend. Beale Street is fun, not extremely clean, great entertainment & food, and the police presence was fantastic so we felt safe (on Beale St. but not necessarily outside that area). I would suggest going with a group for young people because there are ALOT of people, especially after 10 PM. I wouldn't want my daughter just going with a girlfriend.....needs to be with a larger group for safety. Beale St. closes at 3am. Most places close at 2.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us and your trip to Memphis. I am so glad that you had a great time and enjoyed our lovely City and the hotel. We will use your comments to improve our services so that others are not disappointed as you were with our concierge services. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel the next time you are in Memphis.
Conroe, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

I was looking for a nice hotel for a nice rate that was close to Beale Street. This hotel was very clean, the rooms were nice, the employees were very courtious and helpful. I felt safe when walking to and from the hotel both day and night. I will stay here again when in Memphis and planning on going to Beale Street.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for posting feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am so glad to hear that you had a wonderful time. We are indeed very conveniently located in the heart of downtown. Thank you for your very nice comments regarding the staff and the hotel. I'll be sure to share your comments with the Team and we look forward to welcoming you back.
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

Got this from a hotwire deal so I paid less than the published price - and was very pleased with the hotel. The valets and receptionist were all friendly and helpful, and the lobby is really interesting. Large, clean rooms (the bathroom tub was a little older but still fine). Really comfortable bed. Walking distance to Beale street. I'd definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for sharing your comments with us! I am glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us. I appreciate your nice comments regarding the team and I will be sure to share your comments with them. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Memphis.