“Cold...”

DoubleTree by Hilton Memphis Downtown
Ranked #32 of 139 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed for two nights just after Christmas. Nice welcome and impressive foyer. The room seemed alright and spacious but when you looked closer at the walls and the ceiling you could not help noticing strange things - better not think about what it was and how it ended up there!? Had breakfast one morning and it was ok. Had to ask twice to get my room cleaned (at around 4 pm).
But the reason for giving only two stars is the cold! The ac was very noisy and could not heat up the room at all. I woke up during the night, shivering, and as there was no ekstra blanket I had to put on some clothes. The last morning the room temperature was 17 C. That is cold.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank bs02
Ghee A, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Memphis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Thank you for your candid feedback regarding your stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet expectations and I am actively working with our housekeeping team to ensure our standards of cleanliness and comfort are consistently met. I was disappointed to hear that you noticed some areas of your room to be unclean as well as our heating unit not working. I can assure you that I have spoken to our maintenance crew and have fixed these issues. I do apologize if this may have caused you any inconvenience and would hope that you consider giving us another opportunity next time your travels bring you to the area.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,949)

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Our family had a wonderful stay. The rooms were clean. The staff was friendly. And we had a quick snack before bed at Fridays. I was a little concerned because our room was near the vending area but we did not hear a thing.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank HI_DMC
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Good location and nice staff. Room was decent, even got a hot cookie when I checked in. Problem? Ya, bed bugs. I was bitten all over. I called the general manager and was patched through to voice mail three times. He never returned my call. Horrible.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
7  Thank Steve S

I am terribly sorry for your experience with us and am sorry I missed your calls over the holidays while I was out on vacation. I am glad I could speak to you and resolve the issue to your satisfaction upon my return. We follow very stringent pest control procedures if we encounter bedbugs to ensure they are eliminated. Even though we were unable to find any bedbugs in the room in question we treated the room and the adjoining rooms as a precaution. Thanks again for bringing your concern to my attention.

Reviewed December 23, 2012

Stayed at this hotel while on business travel to a conference. The hotel staff was friendly and accomodating. The rooms were okay, but comfortable. The location was in a great place, across from the convention center and near Beale street restaurants and bars. Fridays restautant in the bottom floor was convenient for meals, and you will receive a breakfast coupon if you are a Hilton Honors status holder. Free wifi was good and performed well. Rate for the room was a bit lower than other hotels in the same area. I would recommend this hotel if staying in downtown Memphis. Thumbs up!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank SteveL251
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Central of the downtown area hotel, well situated for the music and restaurant district.

Rooms are good with nice amenities.

Breakfast is provided in TGI Friday's which is a bit surreal, but OK.

Manager's happy hour is good event for the early evening.

Parking is valet and efficient.

Business lounge is efficient.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Stayed here during a weekend trip to Memphis with my wife. Like most Hilton properties, it was clean and quiet. Staff was incredibly friendly. Hotel is close to all of the downtown sights - Peabody is right across the street; baseball stadium is just across the other street; Beale Street and FedEx Arena are just a couple of blocks away; Sun Studio is just about a mile down the street (we walked there and back - found out after the fact that this may not have been the safest thing to do, but it was uneventful in our case). Hotel restaurant is a TGI Fridays, which we did not venture in to since there are so many wonderful food choices within a very short walk from the hotel. I'd be happy to stay here again when I return to Memphis.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2012

This is a good hotel as are most of the Hilton properties, and it is in a prime location that is close to everything you want to see while staying in Memphis. Something was wrong with the big refer/air conditioner unit on the roof and it could be heard all the way down several floors. It kept sounding like a jack hammer every couple of minutes, day and night, on and off. I took a little look to see what the H*LL was making all that racket. Asked to move to another room from the top floor 1018 and they put me in 617. It was a little quieter but I could still here it . Otherwise great hotel nice rooms.

Room Tip: Just make sure your room is not below that darn roof unit.