“Recent stay at Doubletree Memphis Downtown”

DoubleTree by Hilton Memphis Downtown
Ranked #29 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
cincinnati, ohio
“Recent stay at Doubletree Memphis Downtown”
Reviewed January 3, 2012

I want to let you know that I came down to Memphis on December 30th thru January 1st. I was attending the Liberty Bowl football game on Saturday , December 31st. From the time i pulled into the dropoff area of the hotel until I checked out on Sunday morning I could not have been treated better. I guess you would call it " Southern Hospitality". From the gentleman who valet parked my car, to the front desk staff and the personnel in the Friday's Restaurant I was greated each time with a smile and a request on how my day was and what they could do for me. I travel as part of my job and have been all over the US, Asia and Europe and was taken aback on how curtious EVERYONE with the hotel was. It was not just one or two occassions but everyday I was at the hotel. It was quite evident that the leadership at this Doubletree set a good example for the staff and I want to let you know how pleased my wife and I were with our stay. CONGRATS for a job well done. Jim McCullough 1-513-604-2215 Cincinnati, Ohio

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Korean first
Ft. Wayne, In
Reviewed December 21, 2011

Dirty room. If you want the full experience of Memphis this room is for you, because it is dirty, dirty. Staff was pleasant but this room was FAR from a 3 1/2 star hotel. Picketers outside, construction in the lobby. Should have given a breakfast, screw just coffee, for the inconvenience.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Ghee A, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, December 27, 2011
I appreciate your feedback and comments. I apologize for any inconvenience during the construction. We are making every effort to ensure the hotel remains clean and that we provide great customer service during this temporary improvement period. Thank you for being our guest and I hope you do give us another opportunity should your travels bring you to the Memphis area.

Travelers are raving about these Memphis hotels

Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed December 12, 2011

The hotel was very nice itself. However, I made reservations through a 3rd party for a discounted rate. When we got to the hotel, they had my reservations down for the incorrect dates and charged me twice. Eventually, they said they would just put the already charged money towards the actual stay we had. They wouldn't offer me the same rate that I initially signed up for so I ended up having to pay more. Come to find out, they ended up charging me for the nights that I was NOT supposed to be charged for. Also, there is construction going on in the main lobby. It's very dusty and loud (as construction is), but the real complaint is about the alarms that went off in the middle of the day. Somehow the construction workers set off the alarms and everyone had to evacuate the hotel. Once we got to the main lobby, we were told it was a false alarm and everything was fine. The alarm continued to go off in all of the hotel rooms and hallways for another 15+ minutes. I don't think I'll stay at a Doubletree Hotel again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lindsay F
Thanks for staying with us. Sorry to hear there was a mix-up in your reservations and the billing should be something we can resolve for you. (Not sure of your specific situation but with 3rd party reservations sometimes there can be a lag in charges, please contact our office and we can straighten it out for you.)
I apologize for any inconvenience during your stay. We are in the middle of making improvements to the hotel and we are doing it in phases as to minimally impact our guests.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly, my name is Ghee Alexander and I am the general manager of the hotel. I appreciate your trust in Doubletree by Hilton and hope that you would give us another chance in the future.
Halton Hills, Canada
Reviewed December 3, 2011

I have been wanting to write a review of our last experience at the Doubletree in Memphis and this warning is long over due. There is nothing wrong with this hotel itself, if you can get a room. The key word here is GET A ROOM. The following is our story with this hotel and the reason why we will not return and will warn others about the potential problem they may encounter.

In August 2011, we booked 2 rooms at the Doubletree Memphis and prepaid them with advanced purchase for September 2011. On that date we arrived at approx. 6 pm to check in and enjoy Beale St. To our surprise we were told that there were no rooms available as they had over booked. Ok, no problem we thought as that is a normal practice in the hospitality industry and expected to be "walked up" to another hotel. We were shocked at what happened next.

The front desk person told us that the only hotel they could send us to was a Holiday Inn near Memphis airport. I was floored!!! I have been to Memphis several times and realise that it is not the safest city in the USA especially around the airport. The whole reason for our trip was to tour Beale St hence the reason we picked a hotel downtown. Now the Doubletree wanted to send us to a low class hotel in a bad part of town and a $35 cab ride each way to where we wanted to go.

This was unacceptable! The front desk person then "found" 2 rooms if we didn't mind smoking rooms. After driving 16 hours from Canada to Memphis I would have slept in the lobby and we agreed. A room is better than no room. We were given room keys and headed to the room. When we entered we were floored! The rooms were occupied. They had given us keys to someone's room and if we were of poor moral character we could have robbed them blind.

We returned to the front desk, told them about the rooms being already occupied and said we wanted a refund as we would not be staying the night. We were informed that we could not get a refund as we prepaid for the room with the advanced purchase option. "Excuse me?" The hotel was not prepared to give us a refund because it was prepaid. That's when I lost it and my wife had to take over the negotiations to get a letter stating that we will be rembursed for our deposit.

While she was waiting for this letter to be typed up on their letter head (They tried to hand write it on a scrap of paper) the other front desk person continued to check people in. When my wife asked how can she be checking people in if there were no rooms, she calmly replied that those were smoking rooms. My wife asked why couldn't we have one of those rooms and the reply was "Oh were you not offered thme?" My wife had just escorted the 3 of us out because our tempers were raging and did not want to fuel the fire with that news.

After 2 and a half hours we finally got a letter stating we will be getting our deposit back and left.

After writing a letter to Hilton with no responce, writing numerous letters to the Doubletree about our trouble there and wanting our deposit back, we did receive a cheque 5 weeks after our fiasco.

Although we did eventually did receive our deposit back we can not recommend this hotel to anyone. We have stayed there previous to this stay and it was nice, but after knowing they will give you a room key to an occupied room I will not chance being that occupant. Stay here at your own risk!!!

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel in the area. The Marriot is nice and the trolly is right outside the door.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Magicats
Ghee A, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, December 4, 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to bring to our attention your disappointment with your stay in September. My name is Ghee Alexander, and I am the General Manager of the hotel. You can rest assured that your comments will be shared with the entire Team and we will use it to take a closer look at our operation and make necessary changes, in order to improve our services. As a premier hotel in the downtown area, we do fill up several times throughout the year. Please accept my sincere aplogy for the inconveniences you experienced. I hope that the next time you are in Memphis you will give us another try, so that we can show you our commitment to guest satisfaction.

Thanks again.
Mandeville, Louisiana
Reviewed November 22, 2011

We stayed here for a weekend to attend an LSU game in Oxford, MS. A friend had recommended it. We were impressed, as it was comfortable and convenient. It's close to everything! Beale Street, Rendezvous BBQ, and next door to the beautiful Peabody Hotel. The staff was efficient. And the warm cookies we received after checking in was a really nice bonus! It was nice that it had a TGIFriday's attached, too. We were able to have breakfast there, and a late night drink at the bar. The lobby was nice, and our room was very modern, and comfortable. The room was very affordable, too. We didn't use the valet and pay for parking. We found a parking spot next door to the hotel on the street, as the meters aren't used during the weekend. The bed was very comfy, and it was quiet. I'd stay there again if going to Memphis.

Room Tip: Our room was right off the elevator on the 7th floor, but I never heard any noice because of it.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hetherspierce
Glad your friend recommended us. Thank you for staying with us and being our guest. Your comments and feedback are much appreciated. A must eat when in Memphis is the Rendezvous BBQ, glad you enjoyed it.

Look forward to having you stay with us again.Thanks!
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed November 19, 2011

The room was as expected and the hotel was clean. The agent was a nightmare attempting to shame me for using a discount travel site to book my room.
The room I was assigned did not work and when I asked her to change the room she suggested I call the travel website to ask them to change the room. Then she suggested that I call the travel site and ask them to book me at a different hotel that might have a room that would work for me and my family.
Cheap motel service at an alleged 3.5 star hotel. The booking agent I choose to use should be of no consequence.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to bring to our attention the service you experienced on your recent stay with us. Being a premier hotel in downtown Memphis, we are full quite a lot. Most discount websites that are used for booking a hotel, do not guarantee a room type and we assign a room based on our availability.
In your case, all our double rooms were full and the only room we could provide was a room with a king bed. While we were able to provide you with a rollaway bed, I can certainly understand that it is not the same as having two double beds in the room. I am terrribly sorry for our inability to accommodate you and the inconvenience you experienced. I will make it a point to share your comments with the front desk team and use it as a training tool to provide better service, so that others are not diappointed as you were.

I hope that you will stay with us on your next trip to Memphis, so that we may show you our commitment to service.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 18, 2011

Staff was friendly. Room clean, bed comfortable, great location close to Beale st. Given this is half the cost of some hotels nearby, albeit more upmarket, i'll rather spend the money saved on fantastic BBQ meals.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Carlos S
Appreciate your great comments. Thanks for staying with us. Hope to see you back soon. Happy Safe Travels!