“It's all about customer service WARNING!!!”

DoubleTree by Hilton Memphis Downtown
Ranked #29 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed December 3, 2011

I have been wanting to write a review of our last experience at the Doubletree in Memphis and this warning is long over due. There is nothing wrong with this hotel itself, if you can get a room. The key word here is GET A ROOM. The following is our story with this hotel and the reason why we will not return and will warn others about the potential problem they may encounter.

In August 2011, we booked 2 rooms at the Doubletree Memphis and prepaid them with advanced purchase for September 2011. On that date we arrived at approx. 6 pm to check in and enjoy Beale St. To our surprise we were told that there were no rooms available as they had over booked. Ok, no problem we thought as that is a normal practice in the hospitality industry and expected to be "walked up" to another hotel. We were shocked at what happened next.

The front desk person told us that the only hotel they could send us to was a Holiday Inn near Memphis airport. I was floored!!! I have been to Memphis several times and realise that it is not the safest city in the USA especially around the airport. The whole reason for our trip was to tour Beale St hence the reason we picked a hotel downtown. Now the Doubletree wanted to send us to a low class hotel in a bad part of town and a $35 cab ride each way to where we wanted to go.

This was unacceptable! The front desk person then "found" 2 rooms if we didn't mind smoking rooms. After driving 16 hours from Canada to Memphis I would have slept in the lobby and we agreed. A room is better than no room. We were given room keys and headed to the room. When we entered we were floored! The rooms were occupied. They had given us keys to someone's room and if we were of poor moral character we could have robbed them blind.

We returned to the front desk, told them about the rooms being already occupied and said we wanted a refund as we would not be staying the night. We were informed that we could not get a refund as we prepaid for the room with the advanced purchase option. "Excuse me?" The hotel was not prepared to give us a refund because it was prepaid. That's when I lost it and my wife had to take over the negotiations to get a letter stating that we will be rembursed for our deposit.

While she was waiting for this letter to be typed up on their letter head (They tried to hand write it on a scrap of paper) the other front desk person continued to check people in. When my wife asked how can she be checking people in if there were no rooms, she calmly replied that those were smoking rooms. My wife asked why couldn't we have one of those rooms and the reply was "Oh were you not offered thme?" My wife had just escorted the 3 of us out because our tempers were raging and did not want to fuel the fire with that news.

After 2 and a half hours we finally got a letter stating we will be getting our deposit back and left.

After writing a letter to Hilton with no responce, writing numerous letters to the Doubletree about our trouble there and wanting our deposit back, we did receive a cheque 5 weeks after our fiasco.

Although we did eventually did receive our deposit back we can not recommend this hotel to anyone. We have stayed there previous to this stay and it was nice, but after knowing they will give you a room key to an occupied room I will not chance being that occupant. Stay here at your own risk!!!

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel in the area. The Marriot is nice and the trolly is right outside the door.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Magicats
Ghee A, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Memphis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2011

Thank you very much for taking the time to bring to our attention your disappointment with your stay in September. My name is Ghee Alexander, and I am the General Manager of the hotel. You can rest assured that your comments will be shared with the entire Team and we will use it to take a closer look at our operation and make necessary changes, in order to improve our services. As a premier hotel in the downtown area, we do fill up several times throughout the year. Please accept my sincere aplogy for the inconveniences you experienced. I hope that the next time you are in Memphis you will give us another try, so that we can show you our commitment to guest satisfaction.

Thanks again.

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Memphis Downtown

Reviewed November 22, 2011

We stayed here for a weekend to attend an LSU game in Oxford, MS. A friend had recommended it. We were impressed, as it was comfortable and convenient. It's close to everything! Beale Street, Rendezvous BBQ, and next door to the beautiful Peabody Hotel. The staff was efficient. And the warm cookies we received after checking in was a really nice bonus! It was nice that it had a TGIFriday's attached, too. We were able to have breakfast there, and a late night drink at the bar. The lobby was nice, and our room was very modern, and comfortable. The room was very affordable, too. We didn't use the valet and pay for parking. We found a parking spot next door to the hotel on the street, as the meters aren't used during the weekend. The bed was very comfy, and it was quiet. I'd stay there again if going to Memphis.

Room Tip: Our room was right off the elevator on the 7th floor, but I never heard any noice because of it.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hetherspierce
Ghee A, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Memphis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2011

Glad your friend recommended us. Thank you for staying with us and being our guest. Your comments and feedback are much appreciated. A must eat when in Memphis is the Rendezvous BBQ, glad you enjoyed it.

Look forward to having you stay with us again.Thanks!

Reviewed November 19, 2011

The room was as expected and the hotel was clean. The agent was a nightmare attempting to shame me for using a discount travel site to book my room.
The room I was assigned did not work and when I asked her to change the room she suggested I call the travel website to ask them to change the room. Then she suggested that I call the travel site and ask them to book me at a different hotel that might have a room that would work for me and my family.
Cheap motel service at an alleged 3.5 star hotel. The booking agent I choose to use should be of no consequence.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time to bring to our attention the service you experienced on your recent stay with us. Being a premier hotel in downtown Memphis, we are full quite a lot. Most discount websites that are used for booking a hotel, do not guarantee a room type and we assign a room based on our availability.
In your case, all our double rooms were full and the only room we could provide was a room with a king bed. While we were able to provide you with a rollaway bed, I can certainly understand that it is not the same as having two double beds in the room. I am terrribly sorry for our inability to accommodate you and the inconvenience you experienced. I will make it a point to share your comments with the front desk team and use it as a training tool to provide better service, so that others are not diappointed as you were.

I hope that you will stay with us on your next trip to Memphis, so that we may show you our commitment to service.

Reviewed November 18, 2011

Staff was friendly. Room clean, bed comfortable, great location close to Beale st. Given this is half the cost of some hotels nearby, albeit more upmarket, i'll rather spend the money saved on fantastic BBQ meals.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Carlos S

Appreciate your great comments. Thanks for staying with us. Hope to see you back soon. Happy Safe Travels!

Reviewed November 14, 2011

We stay here in september for 4 nights. very busy when we checked in due to georgia playing at memphis, but valets and check in desk very good only had to wait 5 minutes or so. Rooms very nice. The valets were very good, longest we had to wait for car was 5 minutes We had two evening meals at the TGI Fridays in the hotel, they were very nice, good price too. But the breakfast buffet wasn't so great. There is a Dennys over the road so we had breakfast there. 10 minutes walk to beale street, we had a meal at blues city cafe but very crowded and not as good as when we went there a couple of years ago. bb kings was excellant, music was great and the food was very nice.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank pauline D

Thank you for being our guest, we are glad that you chose to stay with us during your trip to Memphis. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the location near Beale street and got a chance to get around. Thanks for the great comments on the service. We look forward to having you back the next time you are in Memphis.

Reviewed November 6, 2011

Location is perfect for exploring downtown, particularly if you're there to see a baseball game at Autozone Park. Staff friendly. Rooms are not great - at least the several I saw of my group's, but I had heard there were better rooms. Air conditioning is noisy. Room seemed rundown - could use a deep clean especially carpets. Dining is limited as it's a TGI Friday's. Staff very friendly and helpful. Overall not for those who are looking for luxury but adequate stay. Not sure I would stay again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business

Thanks for taking the time to provide us your feedback. Your comments are valuable in efforts to continue and provide clean and comfortable accommodations for each of our guest. I have spoken with our housekeeping department and we are committed to the guest experience. Appreciate your positive feedback which has been shared with the staff as well. Thank you for being our guest and I hope the next time you are in the Memphis area that you would consider us.

Reviewed November 4, 2011

This hotel is right next to the Redbirds stadium. There a many good and interesting resturants and bars. The Peabody is nearby too. The security is very present and reasurring. The rooftop pool is nice but small. It also will close for the day if it rains. The rooms are very comfortable and relaxing. The staff is very nice and friendly.

The have expensive valet parking but there is other self parking nearby.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. Your feedback is very helpful to us and our future guest. Look forward to having you come back and visit soon. Thanks for staying with Doubletree by Hilton and being our guest.