“Disappointed”

Crowne Plaza Memphis East
Ranked #60 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

The hotel itself seems fine. When you walk in has nice atmosphere. Was treated very nice by the staff. However, after staying four nights I never saw housekeeping. They did not check my room once the entire stay!!!! I had enough towels because the room seemed to be set up for four and there was two of us. I don't need someone making my bed or changing my sheets everyday but they should have checked the room at the least. I had over flowing garbage cans a pile of wet towels that after two days made the room start to have a wet smell. So disappointed.

• Stayed March 2014
MarriottMemphis, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Memphis East, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
It is truly disappointing to learn of your experience. On behalf of our housekeeping staff I'd like to apologize for this oversight in service. We deeply regret any inconveniences that you encountered as a result. If we get the opportunity to welcome you back, we hope you won’t hesitate to reach out to management whenever an issue arises during your stay, as we always want to ensure the best possible experience while with us. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

This hotel seemed to be well maintained - our group of six were happy that I booked this on priceline for a very reasonable rate. The breakfast was good and the staff were friendly, professional and helpful too. There are also small restaurants around the neighborhood if you like to eat out and if you are willing to drive further you can savour the southern fare which is delectable!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lolabugs
MarriottMemphis, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Memphis East, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
We are happy we had the opportunity to accommodate you and your group during your trip to Graceland and the Memphis attractions. It seems that you've discovered a few favorite restaurants in our area! We hope you'll allow us the opportunity to serve you in our Blue Shoe Bar & Grill during a future visit at The Hotel Memphis.
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

Don't let these reviews keep you away. We spent 3 nights and this hotel is well worth the price. Staff was friendly and helpful. Our room, while dated, was very clean, bathroom looked recently updated and clean. We saw staff cleaning everywhere, everyday. We enjoyed the workout facilities which had a ton of newer equipment.

Room Tip: Only complaint was the breakfast "hot food" was not great BUT, they were really busy every...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
MarriottMemphis, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Memphis East, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
We greatly appreciate that you've shared your positive feedback with us. I'm looking forward to sharing your review, as I'm sure your kind words will serve as encouragement for our staff. We hope we’ll have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Hotel Memphis.
Simpsonville, Kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

4 day stay no room service as of day 3 had to go to front desk to get clean towels. No refrigerator, sheets have stains, TV's out of date, no customer service. Hotel is clearly mismanaged and need of a serious overhaul. Don't Stay Here

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank JoeFuss
On behalf of our housekeeping department, I'd like to extend my heartfelt apologies for any inconveniences that you encountered. Please know that you experience does not match our usual high standards of service and we truly regret if your experience fell below your expectations. We hope you will reach out to us directly so that we may discuss your experience in further detail and restore your faith in our services. Thank you.
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

I would not be staying at this hotel again. The staff at the check in were pleasant and polite. This is a 14 floor hotel with 1 elevator and had to wait longer to get to our room. As my husband and I go to our room we noticed how the walls were dirty and needed repairing. Our room was average. Not totally bad just average and very outdated. There were guests next to us and across the hall from us that were so loud all night long. This is no blame to the hotel. But the cleaning staff was just as bad. They slammed the door so many times as they cleaned each room it was so annoying. They talked to each other loudly in the hall disrupting our sleep. We were so dissatisfied with the hotel we checked out early even though we paid for an additional day. This hotel needs some major improvements.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
While we are grateful for your feedback, we regret to learn of the inconveniences that you encountered while with us. Please accept our apologies if our property was not in its best condition during your visit with us. Your experience does not reflect the high standards that we have set for our hotel and for that, we apologize. We assure you that your comments will be shared with the appropriate members of our staff and the necessary improvements will be made.
Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

The hotel was listed as a 3 1/2 star hotel on priceline. It may have been 20 years ago, however, it is just a shell of its prior luster. The facility has great fixtures but they have not been maintained or cleaned. Our bathroom lights became dimmer each night and the bugs in the fixture were gross. There was dust on every fixture in the room. For some reason there was tape around the room in random places. The bedthrow had a bleach stain. The furniture and carpet had stains. Tiles were broken or damaged. The elevators and windows had numerous hand/finger prints and stains. The front desk marble had seen better days as well. It was sad to see so many nice fixtures in a place that was so dirty. Even the pool furniture was dirty which was sad because a simple hosing down would have improved the furnishings. We were too concerned about contagious diseases to use the fitness center although most of the equipment looked fairly new. Even the windows on the club level were dirty. The staff seemed nice, however, the place needs a thorough cleaning top to bottom. I guess you have to request cleaning if you are staying more than one night. No one knocked or anything to see if we want the room cleaned during our four day stay. We had to go to the front desk for clean towels. The first day we had lotion and shampoo. The second day body wash appeared from nowhere and my daughter's box of girl scout cookies dissappeared. Thankful we brought our own products. I could go on and on, but a picture is worth a thousand words. A few are included below.

Room Tip: We were at the end of a hallway and heard loud door slams continually. The toilet above us also ran...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank penntrainer
Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback with us. On behalf of our housekeeping department, we apologize if our property was not in its best condition. We truly appreciate that you've brought these concerns to our attention and we assure you that your comments will be shared with the appropriate members of our staff. We are grateful for guest feedback, such as yours, as it gives us the opportunity to improve. We hope you'll allow us another chance to welcome you back to provide you with the five-star stay you deserve as our guest.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

We arrived at the Hotel Memphis about 8:00 PM after a long day of travel. I had reserved two rooms for an overnight stay. Unfortunately, when we arrived two people in our party of four were ill with a flu bug and desperately wanted to just get in bed. The lobby was full of people and a long line at the check-in counter. When it was my turn, I was told that there was a waiting list for rooms and it would be approximately a half hour before our rooms would be ready. I was surprised, considering check-in usually is around 3 o'clock. I was not insistent or pushy as I realized there were many other people waiting but did tell the clerk that I hoped it would not be any longer than estimated because my husband and daughter were both feeling ill and very tired. It ended up being about an hour wait but was never told what the problem was. Other people who were waiting said that the rooms were being cleaned. Many people had rooms already but had been out for the day and found their rooms still needing towels and bed changes. If we had been in that group, I would have gladly made my own bed! Anyway, I guess the hotel must have been very short of staff if all of the people were waiting on housekeeping. There was also only one clerk at the check-in desk to handle the long line of people. I really did not complain partly because I felt sorry for him trying to handle the people checking in, complaining because their rooms had not been cleaned or others just canceling because they were unwilling to wait any longer. The man in front of me told me he had been waiting for 7 hours! Other than this huge inconvenience, the hotel was very nice. It was clean and comfortable, well furnished. However, the hotel should have called in more help and given some explanation to customers for the inconvenience.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank garynita
Thank you for sharing your review. I hope you'll accept my sincere apologies on behalf of our staff for the length of time that you waited to be checked-in to your room. We deeply regret that you endured these inconveniences during your visit, especially since members of your family were not feeling well. Understandably, you were frustrated and we hope you'll someday allow us another opportunity to welcome you back to provide you with the exceptional stay you deserve.