“Don't Stay Here”

Ranked #56 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Hastings, Minnesota
“Don't Stay Here”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I received a rate of $50 per night at this hotel (Priceline) and had thought I had a good deal. The hotel itself is an old Marriott and it looks like someone bought it and just chose not to maintain or repair anything. Little things like the elevator button lights not working to old tube TV's in the room are examples of this.

Normally I could just overlook these minor details but the customer service at this place was horrendous. I walked up the the front desk a couple of times to ask a question and the guy was more concerned with his text messages than talking to me. It seemed like customers are a bother to them. The bar was no different. I was waiting for a cab and went to the bar and asked for a Coke and the bartender just looked at me then went on filling garbage cans with new bags. I did get my Coke after she took care of the garbage cans and a few other bar tasks she had to do, but again, I felt like I was bothering her. The only person I encountered in my four days there who was polite was the woman who cleaned the lobby. She was very friendly, said hello and smiled at people when they walked by. She could teach the rest of the staff a lesson in customer service.

I ended up leaving a night early and decided to come over to Tunica, MS for a room for 35 a night that was better maintained and staff that was friendly.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, my advice is don't stay here.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank JustinWestman
MarriottMemphis, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Memphis East, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you for your review. It is discouraging to read your comments and I would like to extend my heartfelt apologies on behalf of our staff for the inconveniences that you experienced throughout your stay. Your experience does not reflect our usual high standards and we will be using your review as an opportunity to re-emphasize our commitment to customer service. We hope you will accept our apologies for the inconveniences that you experienced and allow us another opportunity to provide the exceptional stay you deserve. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Location is a little scare, but the building and lobby is nice, rooms need urgent update, carpet looks old, TV is the old style with bad connection (even 1star hotel has plasma tv those days). Laundry area was waiting for maintenance for days, whirlpool wasn't working, staff no answer the calls properly when you call from your room,

... sounds like they dont care about maintain anything to be in working condition.... (I was there for almost a week and was every day the same) called for fix CNN channel they never show up... ask for refrigerator have to called front desk 4 times until they take action, make me wait for 4 hours to get a room; you return to you room like 6pm and still is not clean, housekeeping knock in your door even when you place "do not disturb" knock only once and open your door... (if you have no locked could be very disturbing and scare you as you're sleeping or in the middle of something else)

Staff is very lazy, incompetent and inefficient and don't care on providing a nice service they looks very demotivated and showing no interest on providing a good service, they are slow for everything..doing check-in/check-out/answering questions etc

Restaurant is no functional and no room service is offered, just a very poor breakfast where they should give for free considering all missing service that should be available at this time on this hotel.

I'm disappointed and only stay longer than expected as I don't feel like to be changing hotel and I get a very nice deal on priceline... there is a potential for to be a 3 1/2 star as they organize seriously this hotel, because at this time no worth more than 3 star

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank SOUSAtravels
We greatly appreciate the feedback that we receive from our guests, as it helps direct us to the areas of our hotel that may need improving. We truly regret if you felt you did not receive the exceptional customer service that you deserve as a valued guest. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences that you encountered. We never like to learn when a guest leaves our hotel feeling dissatisfied and we regret that we missed several opportunities to impress you. Please know that we take our guests’ feedback very seriously and we are fully committed towards achieving complete guest satisfaction. We hope you will allow us another chance to impress you.
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We booked 2 rooms over a month ago. Arrived at hotel at 8 pm and were told they didn't have clean rooms and we would have to go on waiting list with average wait time of 30 mins. We have waited an hour now and no room. Not offered any compensation for wait. We have driven 11 hours with one very sick traveler and 6 months pregnant. Lobby is full of people waiting for rooms.

Stayed February 2014
5 Thank Casey750
MarriottMemphis, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Memphis East, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
We would like to extend our sincere apologies for the length of time that you waited for your room to be ready. After such a long travel to our hotel, we can understand your frustration and we are disappointed that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion. We hope you will allow us another opportunity to impress you during a future visit, as we trust that our staff can restore your faith in our hotel. Thank you.
Carroll, Iowa
Reviewed February 15, 2014

2 night stay at Hotel Memphis. Had to call the desk three times during the first night trying to get the "party room" next to us to quiet down...never happened. Now we are sitting in the lobby at 7 at night on the 2nd day still waiting for them to clean our room and fix the broken stool. Lots of excuses, no service. And the bar in the lobby charged us $18.00 for 2 drinks while we wait.

Bed is comfy but it would be nice to get to use it sometime for sleep! Didn't happen last night and still waiting for tonight.

Room Tip: Book it somewhere else! On the up side...a/c unit is very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Teresa312
Thank you for reaching out and sharing your experience. I'd like to express my deepest apologies for the inconveniences and noise disruptions you endured throughout your visit. We truly regret the length of time that you waited for your room to be ready. Please be assured that we are fully committed to our guest satisfaction and will be using your comments as a training opportunity. We hope you will allow us another opportunity to provide you with the exceptional stay you deserve.
Cape Girardeau, Missouri
Reviewed February 6, 2014

The staff was incredibly welcoming and friendly. I paid for our reservations through Hotwire and the check-in was a breeze. The hotel is older and is in need of some updates. I stayed on the seventh floor and there was a pretty strong mold/mildew older. Roughly halfway down the hallway there appeared to be some water damage on the wall near the ceiling with some spotting that looked like mold.

The hotel room was nicely furnished. The tv was older, but that's not a huge deal. The bed needed to be replaced. Maybe the hotel is trying to cut corners by using thin mattresses--mine had a piece of plywood underneath it. Isn't this supposed to be a 3 1/2 star+ hotel? For that ranking I honestly expect better. I'll echo some of the previous reviews by saying it is good enough for the price---but in a town like Memphis good enough isn't going to get you too far. I'll stick with the other hotels in this star category.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
MarriottMemphis, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Memphis East, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
We value your feedback and would like to take this moment to apologize if your experience did not reflect the high standards that we've set for our property. Please know that we take these concerns very seriously and I have already addressed these issues with the appropriate department heads. It is disappointing that you felt we did not live up to the high standards guests have come to expect from us. We are fully committed towards attaining complete guest satisfaction and your comments help us to make the necessary improvements. We hope you'll allow us another opportunity to welcome you back.
Lake Jackson, Texas
Reviewed February 1, 2014

We stayed at The Memphis Hotel for three nights in late January 2014. The hotel was formerly a Marriott which is now apparently in receivership We booked this hotel through Priceline and stayed in this 3.5 star facility for less than $65.00 per night......an absolute bargain. We loved this hotel and would recommend it highly to anyone.

HOTEL:

The building itself is in very good shape and very attractive. The parking lot was well lit and the parking was free. The most noticeable wear is in the elevators. Two elevators were running and we never had to wait long to go up or down. For some reason, the "L" would not light when you wanted to go to the lobby, but the elevator would take you to the lobby anyway.

The 4th floor had nice carpeting, but a noticeably moldy smell throughout the hallway. It was not obvious where it was coming from and there were no stains in the carpet. I don't know if it could have been from the AC, but it needs to be addressed.

The moldy smell was only in the hallway, not the room itself. Free local paper and USA Today in the lobby. Pepsi products only in the vending machines.

THE ROOM:

We saw a couple of people complain about their rooms (dust in one room, squeaky door in the other), but we had a good experience. The room was very clean and well kept. We thought the room was spacious. The king sized bed was comfortable and the bedding was what you would expect in a nicer hotel......luxury comforter and high thread count sheets. The water pressure was great and the showers stayed hot.

The toilet had a very slow flush......it helped if you held down the handle. The old CRT TV worked fine with a nice channel selection and free HBO......but certainly not state of the art flat screens that almost every upper end hotel has. The wireless Internet was not the fastest, but it was free. We loved the work desk and the two seat couch in the room. We did not use the in room coffee maker. The hair dryer was adequate.

Like a lot of hotel rooms, it was hard to get the air to move much and the room got a little stuffy at night. Still, it is hard to be unhappy with a clean room and a comfortable bed. There were plenty of outlets in the room for charging.

BREAKFAST:

We were more satisfied with the breakfast than most. The breakfast is included if you book directly. It is $10 per room for your stay if you book through a third party. They can tell if you are entitled to the breakfast by looking at your room key. Breakfast is served from 6:30 a.m. through 9:00 a.m. in the Blue Shoe Restaurant. It is a continental type set up with two or three hot selections.

The hot selections were:

Thursday--link sausage and scrambled eggs

Friday--Jimmy Dean individually wrapped cheese and sausage croissants and scrambled eggs and bacon

Saturday--premade cheese omelets, premade pancakes and a really good potato and sausage mixture

There were the obligatory cereal canisters, bread selections (no bagels) for toasting, a couple of pastries, oatmeal, milk, coffee and a juice machine. They had cut cantaloupe on Friday. Apples and bananas were available each day. Everything is self serve on plastic plates with plastic utensils.

We liked everything that was served and you could eat as much as you wanted. We are surprised that so many folks complain about the breakfast.....we thought it was a highlight.

An employee named Marilyn got everyone's day off to a good start. She welcomed each guest into the restaurant, explained the buffet, cleared tables, made pleasant small talk and wished folks a great day on their way out. She did a wonderful job and we really enjoyed her.

SHUTTLE:

The hotel was gracious about our full use of the complimentary shuttle. The bellman is the driver and airport runs are the stated priority. The airport is about 6 miles from the hotel, so the shuttle saves about a $16.00 cab fare and tip. We called when we landed and the shuttle picked us up within 15 minutes. The bellman told us that 8:30 p.m. was the last time the shuttle could be run. He took us to P.F. Chang's for dinner and picked us up just after 8:30 p.m.

Be careful, though, if you need to get somewhere without a rental car during the day. Apparently, the shuttle service is not offered in the midday hours. I don't know why the policy exists, but the shuttle does not run between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. I hope the hotel will rethink this and offer a fuller shuttle service. It is a wonderful service when it runs and it helped us out a lot. We were surprised that we would not be able to use the shuttle back to the airport on Saturday at noon. The hotel did a wonderful job of finding an alternative for us, but the easiest answer is to simply run the shuttle throughout the day.

LOCATION:

We saw that other reviewers cautioned that the neighborhood was unsafe or "less than desirable". We don't know how anyone reached that conclusion. The hotel is surrounded by nice commercial properties.....no residences in sight. We did not see anything that would have caused us any alarm whatsoever. We thought it was a nice and reasonably convenient location.

The Memphis attractions are pretty spread out no matter where you stay. The hotel is off the highway just a bit, but was easy to find. You could get out of the hotel parking lot and onto I-240 in less than 2 minutes. Beale Street was about a 25 minute drive. Graceland and the Zoo both took us about 20 minutes to get to.

There is a Popeye's Chicken and an IHOP around the corner.......a little over a quarter mile walk along a road that is not well lit at all. About 4 miles on I-240 East and you will run into a bunch of very nice restaurants. You will almost certainly need a rental car in Memphis if you are a tourist.

STAFF:

A big A+ to the staff of The Hotel Memphis. The employees clearly know the situation.....an uncertain future, a low budget for repairs, and hotel guests noticing that the hotel is showing age. Yet, the workers we met were all professional, outgoing and proud of the hotel. The front desk clerk cheerfully faxed a work document for me without charge. The bellman gave us great dining suggestions in the area. The housekeeping staff was tremendous......and, of course, Marilyn at breakfast was wonderful.

CONCLUSION:

This hotel is a tremendous value. The problems are far outweighed by the positives. It is hard to complain about much of anything at certain price points. We will stay here again if we go back to Memphis.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TexasLover
MarriottMemphis, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Memphis East, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Thank you for sharing your thorough review. We are always grateful when a guest takes the time to share the areas of their visit that fell below their expectations, as it helps direct us to the areas that may require our attention. We sincerely regret any inconveniences that you encountered while with us but we are so pleased to know that you enjoyed such a pleasant dining experience with us! Your kind comments will be shared with our staff, as it will bring a big smile to their faces when they know they've received an A+ rating! The level of detail that you've provided for us is greatly appreciated and we are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to The Hotel Memphis!
Kings Mountain, NC
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Very nice accommodations. Got discounted special deal from Hotels.com. Rooms don't come with a fridge. Had to request one ($30 extra charge for micro-fridge). Usually, I don't complain much in my reviews. I try to be as positive as possible. My main problem was with our reservation and the management's "failure to communicate" with each other.Reservation was for room with 2 standard double beds. Upon arrival, was informed that no doubles were available. Had to take a king with sleeper sofa (actually, a love seat, which meant the bed part was a twin.) We were in Memphis for my neice's wedding. My parents and sister were told the same thing. As I mentioned earlier, we booked our reservations thru Hotels.com and have never had a problem with our reservations before. The confirmation does say " reservation guaranteed, but accommodations subject to change, or something like that"; however, I feel when the hotel booked all of their std dbl rooms to the NCAA for a team's band that was going to be in the Liberty Bowl, the hotel should have informed Hotels.com about the change in accommodations, and Hotels.com or the Hotel Memphis should have told us before we arrive in case we needed to book something else.
This was just the beginning of a bad hotel experience-
1. Our first room had no COLD water, yes, no cold water, just hot.
2. Informed the front desk of this early in the AM....when we returned to get ready for the wedding rehearsal dinner, was informed we would have to pack up and change rooms.
3. Changed rooms....ask that the sleeper bed be made up while we were out. Desk staff assured it would be done. Came back at 11:00 PM and the bed was not made....I had to do it myself.
4. Next day went to wedding brunch. When we came back, our room had not been cleaned and there was a note on the night table stating they did not make the beds due to personal items left on them. (1 pj shirt on one bed and a newspaper on the sleeper bed.)Funny how that didn't seem to be a problem on the first morning. No one told us not to leave items on the bed and they were moved and put back on the first day.
5. I spoke with the front desk staff and they assured me it would be taken care of by the time we returned from the wedding. Wasn't.
6. I was very nice each time I spoke with the front desk staff, who were in turn pleasant and apologetic to me for our inconvenience. I was told that the Operations Manager would be contacting me personally to discuss all the problems we encountered. NEVER HEARD FROM HER.
7. Check out time is 12 Noon. Housekeeping came by at 9:20 AM knocking on our door. I told them that we were not ready to leave. They were so loud talking and yelling down the hall, that my daughter got up and asked them to please be quiet, as some people were still sleeping. They did apologize.
When we checked out, I was told everything was "taken care of".....not sure what that meant, unless they compt the micro-fridge??? The room was paid for in advance.
Normally, I guess this hotel would be good, but with our bad experience, I would not stay here again. Sorry.

Room Tip: Call before you leave home to find out what type room you'll get when you get there as opposed t...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to reach out and share your experience with us. It is truly disappointing to learn of the inconveniences and frustrations that you encountered while with us, especially since you were here celebrating such a special occasion. It seems we missed several opportunities to impress you and I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize on behalf of our staff for the lack of service that you received throughout your stay. We are fully committed to customer service and interested in learning more about your experience. We hope you'll contact our hotel directly so that we are able to further discuss your experience and restore your faith in our hotel. Thank you.