“No longer a Marriott Propert effective 7/25”

Crowne Plaza Memphis East
Ranked #55 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Denton, TX
“No longer a Marriott Propert effective 7/25”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I am staying at this property right now. When I left the hotel this morning, the Marriott signs were displayed as normal on the building. When I got back this afternoon the large Marriott sign was taken down and at the entrance of the hotel the Marriott sign was removed and a new sign was displayed calling this hotel the Hotel Memphis. I asked what was going on and they said that effective Thursday 7/25, the hotel will no longer be a Marriott. Sure would have been nice to know this when I made my reservation and subsequently checked in! Needless to say, the staff is completely checked out and couldn't give a flip about the customers. I am very disappointed that Marriott made no effort to make it know that they were no longer going to be managing this property during part of my stay. I also heard that effective 08/01 the Marriott Downtown is going to convert to a Sheraton. I guess the future doesn't look too bright for Memphis.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
MarriottMemphis, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Memphis East, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
We appreciate your feedback and sincerely regret if you were not made aware of the changes taking place at our property. We are excited for the new improvements and hope you'll consider visiting with us again sometime in the near future. Complimentary amenities will include breakfast, on-site parking and more. We are looking forward to the future and all of the exciting amenities The Hotel Memphis will be offering guests. We hope you'll allow us the opportunity to welcome you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Reviewed July 18, 2013

The bed was as hard as a rock! The pillows were hard over stuffed foam. The breakfast buffet and the kitchen service was the only great things about this hotel. Asked for extra towels at check in they said they would send them hour later called and was told housekeeping wouldn't be in til 7 am. We were directly across from housekeeping closet yet couldn't get extra towels.

• Stayed July 2013
MarriottMemphis, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Memphis East, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
On behalf of our staff, I'd like to extend my apologies if your request for extra towels was not immediately acknowledged. We can understand your frustration and will be passing your review along to our staff. We always want our guests to enjoy the comforts and conveniences of home, which is why each of our beds includes a down comforter, duvet, pillow top mattresses and plush pillows. We are saddened that we missed the opportunity to address these concerns with you to ensure a better experience. Yet, we highly value your feedback and we thank you for your review.
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Location was OK, less than 10 min drive to downtown Memphis. Free parking was great. No free wifi, not even in the lobby so would have to pay extra. The room was quite big and very clean. Check-in took a little time but the staff was friendly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and warm remarks regarding our staff. We are proud to announce exciting changes to the Memphis Marriott, including complimentary WiFi in each guest room. We hope we'll have the opportunity to welcome you back sometime soon to enjoy these new features. Thank you.
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My family stayed here for one night in June 2013. The hotel was nice, but noisy, and the hallways were dirty. The room itself was quite nice and clean.
We had had a really long day - 12 hour drive - and ordered a flatbread pizza and a Sierra Mist from room service. My daughter was really thirsty and the vending machine was broken. Room service arrived about 40 minutes after we called. The pizza was ice cold and we did not eat it. It seemed to have been prepared the night before and left out all day. The "Sierra Mist" was served in a goblet - the ice had melted and the liquid in the glass was NOT Sierra Mist, it was CLOUDY WATER. Probably dish water.....So we spent $14 for a very disappointing, inedible meal. I usually leave a tip for the cleaning staff, but I didn't leave a tip due to the money I wasted on that poor quality "food".
The staff was friendly and breakfast was good. But I would not stay here again due the worst room service meal I have ever seen.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
I'd like to extend my most sincere apology for the unacceptable quality of food and service you and your family received while with us. This does not reflect our usual high standards and we have already passed your review along to the appropriate departments. On behalf of our staff, I deeply regret the inconveniences that were caused. We appreciate you addressing these concerns with us so we have the opportunity to improve upon the quality of our room service. We hope you'll someday allow us the opportunity to welcome you back again so we can provide you with the 5 star stay you deserve.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Staying here for the night, and this will be the last time. Hotel service is the poorest I've dealt with throughout the nation. If you're expecting quality, look elsewhere. From the slow check-in to the lazy staff to the restaurant which can't hold a candle to McDonald's (yes, it's below McD's), it won't take long to realize why the place looks empty.
Tried to eat here and it took over 40 minutes just to order a club sandwich (which was garbage anyways). The bartender was a joke and wasn't really into doing his job. The restaurant was nearly empty.
In reality, Memphis needs to wake up and understand why the airport has few flights and all major tourist and business travel places have moved away. If you have a choice, go anywhere but Memphis and this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank David M
While your constructive feedback and perspective is always welcome, we are saddened that you felt we did not live up to the high standards of the Marriott brand. We never like to read when we fall short of our guests' expectations and appreciate that you've given us the opportunity to improve upon our services. The length of time that you waited to be served at our restaurant is unacceptable and our restaurant management has been notified. We hope you'll reconsider booking with us again, as we would like the opportunity to welcome you back. Thank you.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I have traveled and mostly stays at Marriott Hotels around the nation but this specific hotel stay was the worst ever Marriott hotel I ever stayed in. I understood that your request for early arrival is not guaranteed. Customer Service was by front desk clerks were horrible. They constantly looking down as if they are working on their computer, I was not acknowledge right away. I heard sighs, like they are not welling to be there or maybe I was there to check in and not welling to help me. I was given a key card that doesn't work, with my luggage around me it was so inconvenienced to go down back to the front desk. NO Bellman were ever located. Then, when I came back down to the front desk the clerk named Candice told me to wait for the person that checked me in (??). She rolled her eyes several times and sighs again without apologizing with teh inconvenienced that I have gone thru... (like I am a bothered to her).
The entire hotel smells really heavy MOLD and MUSTY smells! The hallways in every floors and my room itself! I found that Memphis Marriott in a good location but not kept well. Staffs needs to take refreshers or basic customer service training. Carpeting in the entire hotel is nasty! This Hotel is a DUMP! The Hotel General Manager needs to pay attention to his property repairs and staffs attitudes! Its frustrating to pay the price of Marriott hotel rates for several nights if you get sick due to mildew/mold and STAFFS Poor Customer Service are not the quality you received!!! Advise: Stay away from this property! Plenty of way better hotels around the City and surroundings thats better than this specific Hotel!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Florydette M
MarriottMemphis, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Memphis East, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
While your feedback is always welcome, we deeply regret to learn of your experience. We have very strict inspection guidelines in place to ensure that our property is impeccable for our guests. We take these matters very seriously and strongly encourage you to reach out to us directly so we can further discuss your experience. Thank you and we hope you'll accept our sincere apologies for any inconveniences that you endured while with us.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Like most people, I choose to stay at name-brand hotels that are supposed to offer clean, quiet and comfortable rooms. I was so, so, so, so wrong when I picked this one. This was about the worst U.S. hotel I've stayed at in years. Truly, I do not understand how this property hasn't been kicked out of the Marriott brand. Since it would take me many paragraphs to detail ALL the things that are wrong with this hotel I'll just list them:

The Good:
1. The lobby is nice.
2. The wifi was fast.
3. The pool area is ok.

The Bad:
1. The first night we stayed here like four cars in the gated parking lot were broken into. Yes, there is a gate but no, they don't close it so it seems too be a free-for-all for criminals.
2. Black mildew (at least I hope it was mildew and not mold) on the shower curtain. It was visible and clearly had been there for a while.
3. Stayed for three nights and housekeeping never came to clean our room, even when I made a specific request with the young man at the front desk on the second morning. We had to request fresh towels every day when we returned to the hotel.
4. Nasty, stained carpet that hasn't been vacuumed in probably years. I asked the front desk agent to have housekeeping vacuum the carpet when they came to clean, but since housekeeping never came I guess that was moot.
5. Room doors automatically slam shut. Every time someone entered or left a room the doors slammed, which is fun when you've had an exhausting day and just want to get some sleep.
6. No sound insulation so you can hear every conversation in the hall and in the room next door. The guy in the room next to me was discussing his upcoming prostate exam. That was not fun for me to know.
7. The bar service was a joke with a 20-minute wait for a Jack & Coke when there were only about eight other people in the area. When we reminded the hostess that we hadn't gotten our drink she had an attitude and said, "yeah, I know." Then it took another 15 minutes to get a check for the one drink we did manage to get.
8. Broken electrical plug on the hair dryer...you know the one right next to the sink with running water.
9. Surly staff who ignore you or have an attitude when they do finally acknowledge your presence.
10. Shower faucet that constantly dripped and the toilet that constantly runs.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank The_Doyenne
MarriottMemphis, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Memphis East, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for your thorough review of your stay, as we truly appreciate your perspective. We apologize if we did not live up to your expectations and would like to take this opportunity to emphasize how fully committed we are to providing a clean and secure environment for our guests and staff members. Please know that safety is a top priority for us and we do not take your concerns lightly. We strongly encourage you to reach out to us directly so we can further discuss your experience. In the meantime, the appropriate departments have been notified. It is disappointing to learn of the inconveniences that you experienced while with us and I can assure you that we will properly address each of your concerns so that the necessary improvements can be made. Thank you.