“Tough to Recommend...”

Ranked #56 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Asheville, North Carolina
“Tough to Recommend...”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I have stayed at this property on two occassions in the past month. I choose it for location as it is about 10 to 15 minutes from the airport. Upon arriving at the property I was a bit concerned by the 10 foot high steel fence surrounding the property and the secure access entry and exit gates. The surrounding area is a rough with very limited dining options. The hotel staff is very good and really works on making your stay a good one. The rooms are in good shape but I could not believe they still had tube TVs! During my most recent visit the evacuation alarm went off at 2am. After exiting the building I proceeded to the closed entry gate to see how the responding firetrucks would get in. The firetrucks arrived within five minutes but could not enter until a guest passed their key throught the fence. Where was the hotel staff? Cause of alarm a broken failed sprinkler head. One morning I was greeting by scalding hot water in the shower. I could not take a shower. Tough to recommend this Marriott based upon my experience - rough location and maintenance issues. I will not stay at this property again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MoovinOn
MarriottMemphis, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Memphis East, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback though we truly regret to learn of the inconveniences that you experienced. Please know that the safety of our guests is a top priority for us and we're fully committed to ensuring a secure environment. Please accept our apologies for any inconveniences that you experienced with our alarm. While we can assure you that our staff is continually trained on how to handle these procedures, your concerns and comments regarding this experience are important to us and are being passed along to the appropriate departments. Thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback with us and we hope that you'll allow us the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed here in march for birthday celebration. The hotel was very clean and nice. All downtown hotels were sold out so we were limited to hotel choices. This offered us everything we needed- clean rooms, comfortable bed to crash, decent breakfast, safe location, friendly staff. The only drawback is it is about 15-20 min from area attractions so you need to rent a car. We got one on Hotwire for less than $100 and it was well worth it. Memphis is a great fun city!

• Stayed March 2013
MarriottMemphis, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Memphis East, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
We agree! Memphis is a great city with so much to explore. No matter the circumstance, we’re glad that you found your way to our hotel. We’re always delighted when we can provide our guests with great quality service and we truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Thank you for making us a part of such a special occasion and we hope that we get the pleasure to welcome you back soon to the Memphis Marriott.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This marriott was your typical full service marriott. The staff was very welcoming on checking in earlier so that was nice. The hotel room was standard room nice and clean and thats why I expect of a Marriott. The only downside was not too many eating options nearby and probably wouldnt walk around at night. They lock the parking lot up at night so that should tell you they are worried at night. The area is just industrial with not too many things nearby other than an Ihop and some fast food options. Overall would stay here again it served its purpose.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank figment7
New Hampshire
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have stayed here a couple of times while on business in Memphis.

The hotel is a bit dated, but well maintained. Everything is kept clean and in good repair. The staff is what really stands out at this location. They are friendly, helpful, and go above and beyond to be courteous. I will gladly stay here again.

The location is convenient to the airport and a short drive to down town.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Naples, Florida
Reviewed February 13, 2013

It has been a few years since I've stayed at this hotel. I was pleasantly surprised..it has improved. I usually stay farther out of the city, but I took advantage of a great 21 day in advance rate..I was glad I did! I felt very safe here.(not so much in the past) Every staff member from the front desk, to the attendants in the concierge and many in between were very helpful, friendly and courteous...I felt welcomed here.:) It was obvious that fitness center had been renovated. My room was quiet(11th floor). A big deal when you are a light sleeper. When in Memphis again, I will check rates to see if this is a viable option...right off the 240 loop too!! This makes it a great location and an easy drive into downtown Memphis.

Room Tip: 11th, 12th and 14th...are concierge floors. Ask for room away from ice machine and elevator..close t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Kentucky
Reviewed January 22, 2013

This property is an older property and the surrounding area is sort of run down, but the staff is always the best. Always ready to assist and always super friendly.

Stayed on the 14th floor and access to the lounge. Very good food, whether just snacks or as a meal. Always many choices from salads and fruit to entree and good desserts. Breakfast is always awesome, from eggs and meats to oatmeal and waffles. Lots of fresh fruits and coffee and juices.

The workout area is always clean and have both an indoor and outdoor pools. Hot-tub was great.

Room Tip: Staying on the 14th (top) floor has one issue and that is the AC units on top of the bilding can be...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
annapolis
Reviewed December 25, 2012

If you are going to Memphis, this is a "safe bet". It's a basic high rise Marriott. Nothing special about it. Restaurant is OK and bar as well is OK. Big benefit of this hotel is that the Trolley that takes you to most of the parts of town where you want to go is right outside the hotel's entrance.

$1 cash to hop on the trolley and you are taken down the main street to Beale in 10 minutes. Other stops include the Peabody Hotel (my hotel of choice if you are in Memphis.)

I was there on business and this hotel is two blocks from the Court Houses, Federal Reserve and other government business locations.

Staff is nice and good. They went out of their way to get some things printed out for me. Front desk lady had me email the document to her personal email (work address) and she went to her desk in the back and printed it out for me.

Concierge Lounge is friendly and about what you would expect from Marriott. Enough coffee and food in the morning so you can skip breakfast if you are running late. Honor bar at night.

I stayed here twice and it would be my pick for business. About $30 cab ride from the airport.

AND I do have to give praise for one more thing. I had two days of "waiting time" and asked the front desk what I should do. They recommended I take a trip to Graceland and for about $40 they set up the tour company to come pick me up at the hotel and bring me out there. Never did it in my previous trips. This was convenient and a good way to spend an afternoon. (About 1:30 to 6:30 pm)

Room Tip: The "view" you want is the Missippi and the Pyramid.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business