“Nothing out of the ordinary..”

Crowne Plaza Memphis East
Ranked #59 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed December 26, 2011

Recently stayed on a Sunday night using a reward night so the room cost was complimentary for me. Upon checking in, i was immediately recognized as being an elite member a few times and my room requests were confirmed and was placed in a 9th floor room. Service at the front desk was very friendly and cordial.

As others have alluded in previous reviews, the location of the hotel may not be the greatest. Its right off the freeway and pretty close to a residential area, and I'll agree that it doesn't appear to be in the best of neighborhoods.. But then again, usually neighborhoods near airports aren't the best. It's maybe 5 minutes from the airport, so that was a plus. In hindsight, maybe I should have booked something in downtown as I did enjoy wandering around downtown and Beale street more. Downtown and Beale St does have it's share of panhandlers though..

I had no problems with the room I was in and it was clean. The bed was comfortable and I had requested extra pillows. As reviewers have noted, you can tell its an aging property and it's probably time for a refresh of the rooms and hallways. The tube tv has got to go! I didn't dine at the property or order room service however I had a few drinks at the hotel bar and service was fine. It appeared the bar closed around midnight on a Sun night.

All in all, the overall hotel experience was average, although everything was perfectly fine with the service.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed December 9, 2011

I am presently staying in the Marriott Memphis East and am shocked to find out they charge guests $0.85 per minute in the business center, and $0.15 a page for print outs.

When the hotel advertises high speed internet as a feature, one would normally assume this is an included feature. Shocked to find out it is a pay service with prices which are an order of magnitude more than they are in European internet cafes. The lobby is pretentious, but the room is showing its age. I would type more but I am working off my phone on its mini keyboard.

Find another room.

Room Tip: I see nice rooms at other hotels within a few blocks. Wonder if they have free internet.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank paul l
Reviewed November 23, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel several times in the past few years, and overall it's fair to say that it's 'OK'. Any of the bedrooms I stayed in are pretty tired and shabby at this stage... but overall they are clean and the beds are comfortable. Staff are generally helpful and very friendly and welcoming.
The food in the bar or restaurant isn't dependable (not even the simple stuff) and their draft beer taps rarely work properly (how difficult can it be to fix this?). Breakfast is OK if a little expensive, but serving stale lettuce and inedible croutons in a Caesar salad demonstrates a basic lack of effort in my opinion. Not investing in decorating or new TVs I can probably understand, but there can be no such excuse when it comes to food.

Room Tip: Concierge floor rooms are no different as far as I can tell
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 13, 2011

We stayed at this hotel twice within a ten day period. The first time was nice, but the second required a room change due to a broken toilet. Also, that room could have used more cleaning, as exemplified by a dirty telephone. It is also a pity that there is a charge for internet.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank larryderm
Reviewed September 12, 2011

For a Marriott, this one was a little tired, showing its age. Not in the best of locations either. Certainly not an area you would want to walk around in by any means. I guess that is why it is surrounding by a big FENCE! If your shuttling here from the airport without a car, you will definitely be eating in. Restaurant was OK.

Would expect to pay less in this area for sure. Was not happy about no free wi-fi anywhere. Not even in the lobby area or concierge lounge. Really??!! Get with it Marriott Memphis!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 10, 2011

I found this hotel to be just fine. When checking in, I asked the front desk personnel why the hotel had a "security" gate all the way around the property. The young lady behind the desk responded: "don't all hotels have gates like that?". The location reminded me of an area that was probably meant to be a bustling office park, but, never actually jumped off. It is kind of an oasis nearly off by itself, and surrounded otherwise by "out of business" buildings on the main road, and other non-descript retail outlets on Perkins Blvd.

My room on the 8th floor was rather large and clean. Bathrooms had plenty of clean, fresh smelling towels and was clean. Bed was clean and very comfortable. Room was very quiet--I never heard anyone else.

Since I'm a frequent traveller, I was given access to the Conceirge level. I made a drink for myself while in the lounge, but, was abruptly confronted by the attendant to fill out an honor bar form--as if I was stealing a drink!!! They should train attendants to be careful about things like that--I could have been very insulted by her actions. Otherwise, personnel was over-the-top friendly and personable. If for no other reason, I would stay again because I felt so welcomed. The decor of the entire hotel reminded me of Las Vegas--for a moment, I fooled myself into believing I was actually in Las Vegas! I guess I've been travelling too much!
Kroger's was having a Job Fair and evidently some kind of regional meeting while I was in the hotel. That made the parking lot very crowded and difficult to park at times. I hope some people got jobs. It looks like many are out of work in Memphis, as is the situation everywhere. I did have compli breakfast, which was good (not great), and had lunch in the bar area one day--a salad which I found to be exceptional. This was my first or 2nd visit to Memphis. I booked the hotel in hast, just before dashing off to the airport. I thought I was booking the downtown hotel. I think I would have enjoyed that more, but, this place was fine, and they looked like they needed the business, so I'm glad I stayed.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Bigger32
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Front desk clerks were very nice and helpful. The room was very clean. The bed was very comfortable. The room had a small couch and a smartly designed desk that could be pulled out and used as a table.

We order room service for dinner and breakfast, which was prompt and tasty both times.

Shuttle to and from the airport was very helpful. However, the shuttle drive on our return was speeding, which was very concerning. The driver the night before seemed much more cautious.

As other people have mentioned, this is not a good part of Memphis. This is not a hotel where you can safely walk to amenities or other areas. We had no issues, but we did not have a car and did not go out at night.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family