“Excellent Hotel!!”

Crowne Plaza Memphis East
Ranked #59 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed December 10, 2007

My wife and I just returned from a 2-night stay at the Memphis Marriott in mid-November and found very little wrong with this hotel property. At great feature with this hotel is the parking lot is gated whereas the surrounding hotels have open parking lots. Seeing as the neighborhoods aren't the greatest, you can be sure your car and (valued) Elvis memorabilia are safe. The lobby and hotel room were immaculate. Since we went during an off peak time, we had the pool and jacuzzi all to ourselves and there facilities were spotless with plenty of towels. The hotel even had bellmen who greeted veryone at the door to the lobby and never hestitated to help with your bags. I definately recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the Memphis area and the price was right ($91/night).

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MikeOxford_CT

Reviewed December 4, 2007

All I really need is a comfortable bed and a hot shower and this Marriott had a very comfortable bed and a nice shower. On the downside, it had a small bathroom countertop, no fridge or microwave, the room smelled like mold, and the toilet didn't flush. A maintenance person did respond within 15 minutes and fixed the toilet.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank DallasJackson57
Reviewed November 17, 2007

My friend & I stayed one night here & truly enjoyed this Marriott. Beds were really comfortable (including the comfy pillows). The buffet breakfast was very nice. Location worked well for us - as we were there to visit Graceland & another friend of mine in Collierville. The staff was very helpful, friendly & willing to please. We stayed one night also at the Hyatt Place (it was fine). Would definitely stay at this Marriott should I return to Memphis in the future. I travel alot & stay in many hotels in many locations and would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank globetrotter2
Reviewed September 3, 2007

Stayed a the Memphis Marriott East over the labor day weekend. The rate I got was under $100, which made it a very good value.

This hotel is located just off I-240 about five miles east of the airport and about a 15 minute drive from downtown. The immediate neighborhood of the hotel is a bit run down. It used to be a prime shopping area, but the demise of the Mall of Memphis has left plenty of vacant storefronts, a few fast food joints, and some downmarket stores.

The good news is that the hotel's parking area (free) is gated and very secure, so safety isn't really a concern here. Also, there are plenty of nice restaurants and shopping less than five miles away in East Memphis and Germantown/Southwind.

Check-in was fast and friendly, and the bellhop was very helpful. The room was not huge but plenty large and had a very comfy bed, a large TV, a work desk, and small sofa. Bathroom fixtures and supplies were very modern.

My Marriott elite status got us free breakfast in the restaurant, which was served buffet style, with cooked-to-order omelets and waffles along with fruits, pastries, biscuits and gravy, and breakfast meats. It was good, though I probably wouldn't have paid the $10 charge for it if I hadn't had the complementary coupons.

My only complaint about the stay was the pool area. The indoor pool and whirlpool and adjacent outdoor pool is nice, but clearly hadn't been cleaned or supervised the day I used it. There were no clean towels and the area was littered with used towels laying around, candy wrappers, and soda cans. I would hope they would send a maintenance person around every couple of hours to clean up, and perhaps this was the exception rather than the rule.

All in all, it was a pleasant stay and I will stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank Horwyn
Reviewed August 1, 2007

My family and I were at attending a family reunion in Memphis and the hotel where the reunion was to take place was booked up; so we had to make other lodging arrangements. We needed a hotel near the reuinon site so that we would not be traveling far distances throughout the day and that is when we found the Marriott East. Once we researched the hotel we were ready to book a room for the weekend and upon arrival we were extremly pleased with the services of the hotel. The room was extremly clean and the bed was extra comfortable after a day of family outings. My one year old is my best critic when it comes to our daily activities and the entire time we were there no complaints whatsoever. She really enjoyed her play time in both of the swimming pools as well as her gourmet kids macoroni and cheese she ordered from room service for dinner.
In the end, this was one of our best stays in a hotel in a very long while. We reccomend this hotel to anyone staying in the Memphis area because of their great service and location to many area attractions.

2  Thank darknluvlie
Reviewed July 23, 2007

I have never stayed in a Marriott before because rooms there are usually more expensive than Holiday Inns, Comfort Inns, etc. After staying at the Marriott Memphis East for four days, I'll never stay in a Marriott again. Sure, the place was nice and the beds were very comfortable, but they did not offer free breakfast. You could have a continental breakfast delivered to your room for $9! The drinks in the bar were ridiculously overpriced - $10 for the advertised special. No wireless Internet in the rooms, only in the business center. No free Internet -- for about $7.00 a day, you could hook up to the Internet in the room (not wireless). I can't believe that any hotel charges for Internet in this day and age. I was also told that they charged about $12 per day to park your car in the parking lot. Again, this is unheard of.

The hotel has a shuttle, but it will only take guests to and from the airport and within a five mile vicinity. Downtown Memphis/Beale Street is not in range. They charged us $30 each way to go to Beale Street.

We had also requested two double beds and were given a king. We were told that we could not change rooms. This hotel is only for business customers with fat expensive accounts.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank CajunMomma
Reviewed March 25, 2007

We booked our trip through an online website for a 2 double bed room as we have 2 children ages 10 and 13. At the outset of our check-in we began having issues. When we arrived at the Marriott with rooms that were prepaid (as required on the booking website), we were informed that our room was a king-sized bed and a twin bed (pull out sofa). The front desk hospitality was lacking and they were unwilling to make any changes to our room. Apparently, they are not committed to give you the room that you request on the website.

Inside the room, the kingsized bed was only a little bigger than a normal queensized bed, and the twinsized sofa sleeper was only big enough for one of our children. Therefore, my 10 year old son slept in the bed with my husband and me. In addition, the faucet in the bathroom leaked continuously. This was irrating at 2 in the morning after my son had kicked me in the back while we were sleeping.

Another issue we had was with the swimming pool. The indoor swimming pool was over-chlorinated and the fumes caused burning eyes and breathing problems in the pool area.

The only good experience we had was with the service staff. The maids did an excellent job keeping the rooms clean and the bellhops were extremely friendly.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family