Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel
Agoda.com
$119
La Quinta
1,394 results
All reviewsconvention centermemphis downtownbeale streetthe club loungevalet parkingtrolley busnice hotelstarbucks coffeebuffet breakfastvalet servicemain streetbassmississippi rivercorner roomindoor poolthe room was nicefew blocks
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I booked this hotel through hotwire.com, which most people know you do not learn the name of the hotel until after you book. I was unaware that the Marriott downtown had been purchased by the Sheraton so I was a bit surprised when I saw the name of the hotel. I was a bit apprehensive after reading some of the reviews on Tripadvisor, but I prefer to form my own opinions. I actually work in the hotel industry and I understand the problems that accompany a transitioning hotel. First I'll go through the good. The hotel is in a good location if you don't want to be right in the thick of all the traffic and noise of downtown. The trolley stops right outside the doors and for $1.00 you can ride one way or for $3.50 you can purchase a day pass. The rooms are spacious enough and well lit. My only complaint is that the ceiling in the bathroom was extremely low so if you're over 6' this may be an issue. I had a great view of downtown, the river, and the bridge from my room. The front desk was very accommodating and allowed me to have a room with double beds. I also needed a wine opener and that need was met quickly as well. I did not experience any issues with the valet on arrival or departure. Everyone was very nice and professional. The complimentary internet is free and fast. The negatives I noticed were stains on the carpet and the wall paper was peeling. Overall this is a nice place and considering the fact that they're about to undergo a major renovation I would definitely consider staying here in the future. Just a tip for the party goers the trolley stops running at 11:30pm and a taxi from Beale Street back to the hotel cost my group of 4 $9.50.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank GirlzJusWannaHaveFun
Dan P, Manager at Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2014

I love the title of your review! Yes...we are on the RISE! We have been working hard all year making this the best hotel in Memphis. And now...in approximately two weeks we are going through a major renovation - all 600 rooms and all the public space. It will be magnificant when it is done. I'm glad that "hotwire" picked you to be our guest and I appreciate your honesty about your experience at the hotel. Thanks for staying with us and be sure to come back and see the new place in about 3 months!
Cheers,

Reviewed June 7, 2014

Somehow I missed the fact that Valet parking was mandatory ughh... but the hotel is located right next to the trolley tracks and is only 1 mile from Beale St.. The bell man was very nice..

About an hour before we arrived, a storm knocked out the AC unit to the hotel.. it was fixed and running within a couple of hours.. we set our AC at 65 degrees at 4pm.. it was still 78 degrees in our room at 9am the next morning.. called front desk 3 times about the AC, they were apologetic but never offered any solutions.. We were more than ready to check out..

On a side note, the kids enjoyed the heated pool...

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Dear AdamS.

My sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced with the AC unit. I'm not exactly sure why we were not able to move you to another room or offer you a fan but I will definitely share this with our team at the Front Desk to avoid having this happen to another guest! We are starting a renovation here very soon and I hope that when you return to Memphis you will give us another opportunity to accommodate you and the family! Thanks for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience here on Trip Advisor.
Warm Regards,

Reviewed June 5, 2014

My friends and I had planned to visit this location June 6, 2014 for a girls trip to Memphis. Unfortunately, my friend became ill with a Staph infection and she wasn't going to be able to go. My other friend her mom is in the hospital. Everything happened so fast and today (June 5,2014) I tried to cancel my reservation and I found out that it was way past the cancellation deadline. My friends and I were going to cut the bill in half ($200) and only pay $50 each. Anyways... Turns out I would have been stuck with the whole bill because I wasn't going to make them pay--especially for something that was out of their control. I expressed my concern to Sheraton and told them that I couldn't pay the $200 in an e-mail. About 4:00p I got a call from Brittney who works at Sheraton. She was very helpful and calm and I told her what all happened and she expressed empathy. To make a long story short-- they cancelled my reservation with no charge. I'm truly thankful for them. I hate that I didn't get to stay at this nice hotel-- but I will definitely be back in the future! If you're looking for a hotel, I would definitely suggest this. Especially from the helpfulness from staff-- and just their personalities and willingness to help.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Krys90

Hello Krys90,

That was very kind of you to take the time to acknowledge Brittany for providing you with great service. We at the hotel are human and have feelings just like every guest that stays with us. We understand that medical emergencies happen and I am so glad we were able to help you out with your situation. I hope everyone is feeling better by now. We look forward to you staying with us in the future!
Take Care,

Reviewed June 5, 2014

We had a rather long and circuitous journey before arriving here fairly late in the evening, so we were pleased with the valet parking arrangements and very pleasantly surprised with the food in the hotel restaurant which was lovely and surprisingly good value. There are a number of choices for breakfast, but we opted for the buffet both mornings and were very pleased with the choice that includes made to order omelettes and waffles (yum yum yum). The rooms were well presented and comfortable (once the reception got the door cards working!) but as the hotel is located close to the free-way, there may be some traffic noise. The trolley bus stops directly outside the hotel, costs a$1 whatever the length of the journey, but have the correct change as the driver doesn't have any, and this will soon whisk you up the street to the Civil Rights Museum (a don't miss for us), Beale Street, the Autozone baseball stadium etc; very convenient. My only niggle is that in room wifi is an additional cost in the room (although free in public areas) and I feel that this should be a free basic facility in rooms by now. Overall happy here and happy to stay again, if only for the waffles :-) .

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Phil Norwich,

My sincere appreciation for writing a very nice review of our hotel. We always celebrate our successes and work hard to improve when we fail. So happy that you had a great stay with us. Just wanted to let you kow that our Wifi is complimentary. I'm not sure where the miscommunication came but it is free throughout the hotel and even in your room! Thanks so much for staying with us and we look forward to having you back here next time you're in Memphis!
All the Best,

Reviewed June 3, 2014

We stayed here for a night on our way from Indiana to West Texas and wished we could have stayed longer. Check-in was easy and they were exceptionally kind to our 18-month old (he was sleepy and cranky and they got us upstairs with a crib for a nap very quickly). The room was spacious with a great view over Memphis. The trolley is right outside the lobby which was perfect for heading the Beale St and seeing the couple of landmarks we had time for. If we're ever back in Memphis we'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Dan P, Manager at Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2014

Dear WestTXTravelGirl,

We are so happy to receive such a wonderful review of your experience at the hotel. I'm so glad you enjoyed the location as it's far enough from the noise of downtown Memphis and close enough to hop on the trolley and get to all the fun things Memphis has to offer! Come back soon...we already miss you!
Cheers,