“Great stay - lovely reception staff !” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel
Ranked #21 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Bucks
“Great stay - lovely reception staff !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

What a lovely welcome. So helpful . Happy to tell us where we could park across the road for $5 per night. Great tip - $3 ticket for all day travelling on the Memphis. Great location as trolley stops,outside th hotel. Recommended taking the trolley right round the city - great tip !
The room was clean and quiet. Would definitely return

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LilyBucks
Dan P, Manager at Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
The staff really is the driver of all....good and bad....and we are proud to have some of the best employees in the hospitality industry right here in Memphis! It really is true what they say about "Southern Hospitality". I just moved to the mid south myself a few months ago....and the people here are awesome...they have a spirit in them that always shines! I'm taking your advice and doing the trolley tour around the city. I've only been on it a few times and never took the full trip! Thanks for your comments and for staying with us. We look forward to having you back soon! Cheers!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

I booked a room at this hotel when it was a Marriott back at the end of the summer for an October stay. However I cancelled the reservation, also through Marriott, and thought that was the end of it. Unfortunately that's where my problems began. Sheraton somehow got my credit card number from Marriott and charged me for a 1 night penalty which I have been trying in vain to be resolved ever since. As soon as I realized it was on my bill, I called Sheraton reservations for help. Since I am a Starrwood Preferred Guests member I figured they would try to help me and sure enough, after holding for about 15 minutes, the friendly woman at reservations said that my charge would be credited back to my Visa card withing "7-10 days." So I waited patiently but after 3 weeks nothing had happened. So I called the hotel directly and spoke with the manager on duty (should have written his name down). He seemed somewhat sympathetic and after taking all my information down said he was going to "walk it right back" to the person in his business office who could fix the problem. He promised I would get a call back that same day. 5 days later (including 3 business days) I have heard nothing and not seen a credit back to my Visa either of course. While I understand how a mix-up between the Marriott and Sheraton reservation systems might have occured, the inability to solve this simple problem has created a huge headache and been a monumental waste of time for me. I'm about to have to file a dispute with Visa which will reverse the charges, get copies of my original cancellation from Marriott, and ultimately end up causing an even bigger headache for somebody at Sheraton when they have to try and explain to Visa why they made an authorized charge on my card. All this for less than $150. It's dumb, just dumb. No way I would ever recommend this hotel to anyone, and probably steer clear of other Sheraton properties in general after this experience.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Please call me directly so that I can fix this error for you - my number is 901-214-3717 - Dan Putnam. Unfortunately when we received the reservations from Marriott to enter into our system, they probably never cancelled your reservation. If they did, we would not have received your reservation information, therefore, on the night of arrival, since you were a no show, the system automatically posts a no show charge for one nights room and tax. I'm sorry that someone at the hotel dropped the ball the first time you called to inquire about this. I look forward to hearing from you and personally taking care of this situation for you. Thanks.
Fort Myers, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the last year....when it was still the Marriott. The hotel is very nice. The staff is great! The one staff member who stands out is Greg Kindle. My first stay there he walked me to the trolley stop and made sure the driver knew where I wanted to get off. On my second stay there he happened to be walking through the lobby and came and gave me a huge hug and greeted me like a great friend. Both of my stays there he was eager to tell me which restaurants he thought I would like best. He is an outstanding employee. There are many hotel choices in that area, but the employee hospitality is what would bring me back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I LOVE this review....thank you for sharing your experience with one of our best employees Greg Kindle! He works in our purchasing/receiving department and always strives to be the best every day! Bringing people together is what Greg does best! We want this to be your "home away from home" when you travel to Memphis.....I think we accomplished that!! Please know that I will be recognizing Greg for this outstanding review at our next Employee Rally.
Dry Ridge, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

We had a wonderful experience during our weekend stay. The staff was friendly and helpful, and the hotel was very clean. The hotel's location is great for exploring downtown Memphis -- and the trolley stops right outside. Expectations exceeded!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank NKYgal
Nothing better than exceeding guest expectations! Thanks so much for the kind words. We strive to deliver exceptional service and accommodations and I'm so happy we did that for you! I love the trolley system in Memphis....$1.00 each way....what a deal! Glad you took advantage of that while you were here. Come back soon! Cheers.
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

I went down for a girls trip checking in on Nov 9-11th. Check in was easy and everything was great. The rooms seemed very nice. Problems started when a bottle of champagne was ordered for one of the girls birthday. First it was already supposed to be in the room but due to communication error and incomplete information from outside parties it was not there as expected…so I will let that slide. However once we realized it was not there one of the girls went down to the front desk and paid for it with her credit card so they would send it up. When the champagne finally got to our room almost an HOUR later, she signed the receipt that was brought with it. Later we find out that (me) having the card on file for the room had to sign. So the bottle ended up getting charged to the room, as well as my friends credit card being charged. Lack of internal communication. (also today Nov 11th, my friend just informed me her credit card was charged again…that is a total of 3 charges made for the late champagne)
Night two of our stay we noticed what seemed to be blood splatter stains on one of the duvets. I took pictures of these stains and contacted Sheraton via twitter who promptly had one of the hotel managers call my room to hear my complaints. I emailed Sheraton pictures of the stains. Corporate communications were fast and effective. The manager called me right away and ended up compensating our entire stay for all the troubles. I booked through hot-wire and it seems the charges are being put back on my hard one night at a time. Hopefully I get the full amount back.
Internal communications in customer service at this hotel is not the best. Overall the stay and hotel was nice…as long as you don't have a need beyond the norm you should be fine.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for contacting me regarding your service issues - I'm glad we were able to satisfy you on departure. We should have communicated to you in a better way that payment was needed beforehand so that we could deliver the champagne prior to your arrival. My sincere apologies once again. I have shared your review with our team so that another guest does not have the same experience. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience as it helps us identify areas in the hotel that need improvment. I hope you can forgive us for this shortcoming.
Jackson, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

We booked online and got a great deal. We were in Memphis to see our son who had been in a terrible accident. Dominique at the desk was incredibly kind and caring. She went out of her way to see my wife got a great room-- clean, luxurious, quiet, everything you could want. She checked in with us to make sure everything was okay. We have NEVER had better service ANYWHERE. From the valets at the front to the house staff in concierge, everyone was polite and anxious to make sure we had a good stay.
Location is great, the trolley out front takes you right down to Beale St., or you can just take a reasonable walk to get there with lots of good restaurants on the way.

Room Tip: Ask for Dominique!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I'm so sorry to hear about your son and his accident and I hope everything worked out for the best. We have a wonderful staff who has the internal desire to help others in need. We celebrate when your happy, and we cry when you cry....it's just part of our business and we embrace every situation that comes our way. I'm so happy to read that we were there for your wife when she needed us to be. Thank you so much for writing such a heartfelt review of our hotel and staff....it is truly appreciated. We hope to have you back under happier circumstances.
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

I was just reading some of the reviews and noticed a lot of complaints. I have already made my reservations here and now am not feeling all warm and fuzzy about my upcoming visit. Some of the reviews are saying wonderful things about this hotel and others are saying horrible nightmare type things. I will be in town for a Pro basketball game and would like my stay here to be great so that I may come back and write a wonderful review. Maybe I should have checked to see the reviews before booking my reservation. Anyway, see you all soon. I am praying this is a wonderful experience. I am rating excellent as I am expecting excellent when I get there.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hello Ronald..thanks for your note. I hope that you had a wonderful stay with us in downtown Memphis! We always stand ready to help our guests when needed. Everyone has an opinion and I know we can't please everyone, but we certainly give it our best when it comes to service. I look forward to reading the "post" review. Cheers.