“Great for a quick business trip!”

Hampton Inn Memphis-Poplar
Ranked #27 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Pros:
Friendly Staff
Location
Quality of Sleep

Cons:
Breakfast quality
Pillows (All Hampton Inns have this problem)

I stayed here for 3 nights in June of 2013.

Check-in: I was greeted by two very friendly desk clerks. They handed me bottles of water, and a stick of deodorant because mine melted in the car. They sincerely apologized for being out of warm cookies but this was due to my late check-in.

Room: The room was smaller than a normal hotel room. However, for a single business traveler, it was more than adequate. The desk along the far wall was very comfortable and convenient. It was very nice to have solid glass doors in the shower as opposed to a curtain. The room was kept very clean. The linens were in great shape. The air conditioner was very quiet and kept the room very comfortable.

The pillows are square and are very, very soft. Additionally, they are filled with synthetic material and the pillow cases are predominantly synthetic. The pillows don't breathe well and this causes heat/humidity to build up. This is a minor complaint, and is an issue I see at all Hampton Inns.

Food: The food cooked on-site was less-than-stellar. I won't complain too much because a warm breakfast is always appreciated, but the quality was below average.

Location: The location was great. I was able to walk to several meals. I heard the train, but it was never disrupting during the evening.

Overall: I'd stay here again in a heartbeat; I'd just bring my own pillow.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank aww3583

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Our last stay in Memphis was horrible because of the hotel staff, but the staff at the Hampton could not have been more pleasant! Breath of fresh air...The breakfast was the best complimentary breakfast we have been served at any hotel, and the pool was clear and blue. The entire hotel looked and smelled clean. We stayed at the much more pricy Hilton the night before and the rooms were musty and bedding was stained. We were very pleased with our stay and even more pleased with the price

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
1  Thank Paula W
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed one night while on vacation. We had a king/sleeper sofa room, facing the pool. We could hear all the pool noise until it closed at 10. We heard the train and sirens all night.
Our room was clean. The breakfast was standard fare.
The a/c in our room (410) did not work well, we had it on high and turned down to 54 and it was a little stuffy until almost 4 a.m.
No real complaints, just a couple of smaller things.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank lovestotravel101
Reviewed June 18, 2013

As I read the reviews of this hotel I noticed the number of people complaining about the train they heard all through the night. A hotel "manager" commented on one of them and suggessted to request a room at the back of the hotel which was quieter. I did that at the time of my reservation and they honored that request. We had no problems with noise. The hotel was good for the price we paid. The linens (or maybe it was one of the pillows) had a slightly "dusty" smell (though my husband said he didn't notice anything) but overall, everything else was fine. We enjoyed our stay there. I was able to pay with a combination of points and money, so it made the price of the hotel very affordable for us. The woman at the front desk was very friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
1  Thank Dmlow
Reviewed June 12, 2013

As reported by others, an older Hampton Inn property, but clean and everything worked. Usual Hampton Inn amenities: breakfast, WiFi, exercise room, etc. Lots of nearby dining choices within walking distance, including Corky's BBQ across the street (there's a crosswalk at the corner). Many more within a short drive. Easy access to the interstate highways east on Poplar. One note: although the property faces Poplar Avenue, the entrance to the hotel is off Estate Place to the east side.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We arrived in Memphis late one evening and this seemed to be the most convenient place to stay. The staff was very welcoming and courteous (which was most appreciated as I was tired). The rooms were smaller, but quiet and dark (again, we wanted sleep. This was appreciated). There was breakfast the next morning that wasn't spectacular, but with hungry kids all you need are the basics: waffles, fruit, juice and (most importantly) coffee (for me). Not much to complain about.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have stayed at this property three times and have decided to not stay again. The rooms seemed so much smaller than most Hampton Inns so I did some research and found this was an original Hampton Inn and they were experimenting with a smaller footprint room and bath than what they wound up with.other properties.

The bathroom is very small--like European-sized. The shower was so narrow that when I dropped my soap I rubbed my shoulders against the shower door on my left and the vertical handrail on the right as I bent down.

The closet was very difficult to get to. One door would open only partially as it bumped against the nightstand and you had to bend around at an angle to get clothes or the ironing board out. In fact, to get to the closet, you had to move the chair at the desk out of the way. Related to the desk, I had to slide the desk out to plug my laptop power cord in (very awkward).Not very savvy for the business traveler.

I have stayed at more accommodating Memphis hotels on Poplar and will in the future.

Room Tip: When I asked to be moved to a larger room I was told I had the largest. Oh boy!