“Does its job”

Hampton Inn Memphis-Poplar
Ranked #30 of 139 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Its about 20 minutes drive from anything worth seeing in Memphis. Breakfast is included if you are not too demanding. It's cheap, cheerful and out of town. If you want to eat late be prepared to drive or enjoy the vending machine.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed June 15, 2012

My first night was a nigh mare. I head the loud train ALL night almost every hour. I also did not get a wake up call as I requested and over slept. I did change rooms and could not hear the train but the AC was broke and sounded like a car running and ticking! After 2 days of pure exhaustion from no sleep, I took 4 hours naps after my work as I was on pure breakdown and miserable. I did video tape the train issue and the ac issue and went to speak to the manager.
His name was MATT and I spoke to him and told him I had never ever complained since I have worked as a travel nurse but this was the worst ever. Matt was very rude as told me " you should have seen the train tracks when you came in" EXCUSE ME? I DID NOT SEE THEM. He said the ac sounded like a regular ac unit and I told him not in my home! WHAT A WASTE OFMY TIME AND MY VISIT WAS PURE MISERY! Matt told me " if you are so unhappy maybe you should go somewhere else. AND he said maybe in the future I should stay somewhere else and it would be best for the HOTEL...DEAR GOD..A RUDE MAN. I do plan on filing a formal complaint with BBB and corporate. STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE>

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the train and not under the management of a man named MATT! And make sure...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank aannie11
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I'm not a particularly hard sleeper, and I never heard any trains, though I did notice the ear plugs on the nightstand and thought that was odd. Like most Hampton Inns, the accommodations were comfortable and clean but nothing special. I didn't feel that the service here was particularly great. No one was rude, but they didn't go above and beyond either. The "gym" had 1 elliptical-type machine, 1 kind of scary treadmill, and 1 recumbent bike. I'm 5'3" and thought I might hit my head on the ceiling while I was on the treadmill.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank kleverkira
Reviewed May 25, 2012

I awoke 6 times during the night due to the train whistles.
I wish I would have noticed the very nice ear plugs on the nightstand the night before.
All was redeemed at breakfast however, when they provided a 'brown bag' breakfast to go!
A nice touch for the busy traveller in a hurry.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank HRHofOC
Reviewed May 21, 2012

This Hampton has easy access to all the major freeways and close to several restaurants - especially across the street next to the Mercedes dealership. This does not have a laundry or one nearby it does however have a great breakfast with the best donuts in the world from Gibson's donuts every morning. If you have the choice select a room away from the front of the hotel as the street noise can be loud at night.

Room Tip: Away from the street.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank highwaytrip
Reviewed May 20, 2012

We were prewarned about the noise from the trains so we took that in our stride. To be honest it was'nt that much of a problem for us,we just rolled over and went back to sleep. We were on vacation so we could afford to lie in. Otherwise everything was perfect for our stay.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Razorbite
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I stayed at this Hampton Inn for two nights while visiting Memphis, Tennessee. The accommodations were very comfortable at a reasonable price. The room was clean, quiet, and well-serviced. The hotel was located on a direct route into the city and an approximately 20 minute drive from downtown Memphis.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo