“a surprisingly good stay”

Holiday Inn Express - Medical Center Midtown
Ranked #41 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Wheeling, West Virginia
“a surprisingly good stay”
Reviewed February 14, 2011

I stayed there two nights and found just about everything about the place to be ideal: clean, secure, quiet room, and most importantly, the friendliest most helpful staff that I have ever run into. The exercise room a wee bit larger than most found in this rank of hotel. I was especially pleased with the morning breakfast which had lots of variety and was different on the two mornings I visited it. If you need a refrigerator in your room, make sure to request it when making your reservation. The Midtown location is interesting: some seediness, but also some beautifully landscaped homes. Easy drive to downtown and also to the best barbecue places in Memphis. AND Memphis has got to be THE friendliest city in the USA. Everywhere I went I was treated with courtesy and pleasant conversation.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed August 14, 2010

I have always enjoyed staying at Holiday Inn Express and looked forward to our stay at this one. Our reservation was made 10 days prior to arrival and we expected we would have two beds for myself and grandaughter, age 14. When we checked in, however, we were told that the only room left was one with just one double bed! Sure enough, my confirmation stated that while "all rooms are guaranteed to sleep the number of guests you provided during your search", they cannot guarantee the number of beds. Beware! Both of us had a very poor night's sleep as a result, and I will be extremely wary of booking Holiday Inn Express next time.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Memphis hotels

Baltimore
Reviewed July 29, 2010

With this HIE you get a nice midtown location directly across the street from Methodist Hospital. It's 2 miles to downtown / Beale St. For the adventurous, walk Union Street downtown or take the Madison St. trolley located 2 blocks behind and 2 blocks east of the hotel.

Room 133 faces the pool. A walk-in price with discounts was $107/nt. The room had a king bed, dresser, night stands, desk, chair, easy chair and ottoman, flat panel tv. An expanded breakfast included the basic cereals, biscuits, sausage gravy, bananas, coffee, juice, milk, etc. Free WiFi internet. There was a computer available for use in the lobby.

Problem: The carpeting, while vacuumed, was dirty. Walking around the room barefoot I got dirty feet. I had to place towels on the carpet after I showered to keep my feet clean.

NOTE TO MANAGEMENT: Carpeting needs to be SHAMPOOED and USE BETTER VACUUMS to remove more dirt.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed July 6, 2010

Overall, I was not impressed and would not stay here again. I booked the hotel because I had a job interview at the VA Hospital and wanted to stay near there. I'd spent several months traveling for interviews and had the opportunity to stay at a number of Holiday Inn Expresses. This one really didn't measure up to others I've seen.

First, this hotel did not seem very clean. There was also an odor of mold throughout. The rooms have heating/cooling units instead of central heat and air, which may be one reason for the mold problem. The cleaning staff had sprayed some sort of deodorizer to cover it, but that made the place smell even worse. Also, in other Holiday Inn Expresses I visited, the rooms were larger and had a fridge and microwave. In this one, I had a small room crowded with too much furniture, no microwave, and no fridge. Also, I was promised a discount since I was visiting the VA hospital, but when I arrived I ended up being charged the full price of $120. I would pay $60 to stay here, but not much more than that. You'd probably be better off booking a nicer hotel on priceline, which is what I did when I returned to Memphis and got a 3.5 star downtown hotel for $70 a night.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Cabot
Reviewed June 18, 2010

We checked into this hotel the night before my daughter had to be at Le Bonheur Children's Hospital for surgery. The front desk clerk, Krystal, was so sweet and helpful. I had reserved the room for my daughter, her boyfriend, and myself, but at the last minute my mom decided to go with us. The room I'd reserved had 2 double beds, so I had to call and have a rollaway bed put in our room for my teenage daughter's boyfriend. Krystal made sure that we got the rollaway bed, and it was set up in the room when we arrived.

When we had to venture out, we came upon two ladies who were cleaning the other hotel rooms. Both spoke to us and were very cordial. Later, they came to our room with extra linens for the rollaway bed and were again, so very nice!!! It was truly refreshing to have someone work with us who was NICE!!!!

The next morning, all of us except my daughter went down to breakfast. There was a variety of foods there that were fresh and tasty. The selection included fresh fruit, biscuits, YUMMMY cinnamon rolls, muffins, bacon, cheese omelets, milk, juice ( apple, orange, and cranberry), yogurt, cereal, coffee, tea, boiled eggs, and more that I've fogotten about! We certainly enjoyed out breakfast.

The bottom line is this......this is a super hotel to stay at, and we'll be back again in July when my daughter has to return to Le Bonheur. They offer a reduced rate for patients and their families of both Le Bonheur and St. Jude's. Caring, nice, super people to work with.........a great place to stay, great beds, clean and safe......what more could you ask for?!?!?!?!?!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Mississippi
Reviewed June 15, 2010

We stayed here on June 12th to attend a concert at Minglewood Hall (GREAT venue), which is a $6 dollar cab ride from the hotel. I got the room on Hotwire for $64, which was awesome. It was in midtown, which is a nice part of Memphis. The girls at check-in were sweet and gave us a fantastic restaurant recommendation. If you stay here, you must go down the road about a mile and go to Pei Wei's. It's like a tiny little PF Changs. AWESOME! The rooms were bigger than I thought with a small couch, coffee table and desk. The t.v. was a nice flat screen and the bed was INCREDIBLE! Soooooooo comfy. BUT, I am highly allergic to down and I didn't realize the pillows were down until I laid my head on it and woke up with swollen eyes. Hotels really need to let guests know if down is in the room. The bathroom was roomy with a coffee maker and toiletries. The air worked great and we had a room overlooking the pool, which was nice. The lobby has Otis Spunkenmyer cookies which we took more than our share of b/c they rocked! In the morning, the have Cinnabon-like cinnamon rolls. Drool. Every employee we saw smiled and spoke to us. I went outside at night to my car and there was a security guard patrolling the hotel. They offer a nice continental breakfast but we slept in. I will for sure go back. And for the people who care about this kind of thing, some of the carpet was worn and there were tiny chips on some of the door but honestly, I don't look that close. My husband pointed all that out. Love this hotel!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Tennessee
Reviewed June 4, 2010

We stayed here in February and I wrote a very positive review for this hotel. I cannot give as glowing a review this time. The staff is still extremely helpful and friendly. However, the room we were given needed vacuuming and I had to finally ask to have it done. In addition, each day the housekeeper asked if we needed our room cleaned instead of just automatically coming in to freshen it up. However, the staff were extremely apologetic about the less than perfectly clean room and the next day I found a small bag of candy in the room as an apology. The room needs an overall cleaning of walls, etc. but I would still recommend staying here because of the wonderful staff, the free and very ample breakfast that is offered, free parking, and good location.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple