The location of this hotel is pretty good....it is only a few blocks from Beale street (2.0 mi to be exact...take a right out of the property onto Union and go 2 mi. to 2nd st and take a left...you're there.)
We arrived there Friday night (Jul 6th) and stayed two nights. It was late and we were tired so we pretty much just went to bed when we got to our room.
I woke up several times during the night because our room was a little bit warm. We had the thermostat turned down as low as it would go but it didn't get any cooler. The next morning, concerned more about not having a refrigerator, I called the front desk and asked if we could get one and she said they would have to move us to a room that already had one in it because Maintenance was gone for the weekend. We accepted and we are glad we did...the room we had wasn't unbearable but it just wasn't getting cooled like most rooms do. Our next room was much better.
I think once this property gets all of the rooms renovated it will get a higher rating. I will however, give all of the staff a 5...they are all so friendly, hard working and willing to please. They all say hello to you when you pass by them. They do have a free continental breakfast but we did not take advantage of that. They also have free popcorn in the lobby all day for the guests.
Now for the rooms: The beds and pillows are the same in all the rooms weather they have been renovated or not. The beds were just ok,...we have certainly slept in worse but we have also certainly slept in better. The pillows? They REALLY need renovating lol. They were very small and like the ones we had as kids. Not solid...the filling was small pieces of foam.
The renovated room we went to had two differences....one, the A/C unit was a little more modern and two, it had a microwave and refrigerator. ...The refrigerator worked well. (The ice and soda machines down the hall both worked also).
The carpet isn't bad, it looks like they have replaced the carpet on the first floor hallway but the second floor hallway is the same as what is in the rooms. It still doesn't look bad at all though, We didn't see any dirty spots and they kept it very clean of any clutter or loose popcorn etc and they vacuume the entire thing every day.
The bathrooms are all the same. Pretty small but the tub/shower isn't bad at all. It accomodates tall or short people lol, curved shower rod, the shower head is large with 4 different types of pressure (not hand-held), semi-modern fawcet fixtures and the water stayed the same temp and pressure as what you set it. The tub had a neat non-slip texture to it that that looked like a mat but wasn't. The vanity was very small...not a lot of room and sink has same fixtures as tub and was average size.
The outdoor pool was decent and could have been better if maintenance had been there to remove all the leaves. The water was just lukewarm due to it being 100+ degree weather with no rain but still refreshing for a short swim.
Overall, I would give this 3.5 stars but we paid more for the location I think, being as close to Beale street as it is. Our old standby where we've ALWAYS stayed is at the Holiday Inn at West Memphis I-55. Their beds (and pillows) are more comfy and all of their rooms are updated consistantly (wish we had stayed there this time too).
Would we stay at this property again? It is definately clean enough and friendly enough to stay at....just not our favorite but if I-55 was full, yes this would be our next choice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Holiday Inn Express Hotel in Midtown Memphis, Tennessee Let us welcome you to Memphis and spoil you with our Southern hospitality while you are lodging at our Midtown Memphis, TN hotel that is located close to I-240 and is just minutes from downtown Memphis. The hotel property is adjacent to Methodist University Hospital and near nine other major medical centers. Leisure travelers will love our close proximity to downtown Memphis with Beale Street, the Peabody Ducks, Mud Island and Graceland just minutes away. Our Union Street access also means it's just a short drive to the FedEx Forum or AutoZone Park, which are the perfect locations for a family day trip. Business travelers will appreciate our midtown Memphis hotel's easy access to I-240, I-55 and I-40. Our hotel is just eight miles from Memphis International Airport, and the Amtrak Station is two miles away. Our premium business amenities include a Business Center and free Internet access. This newly renovated Memphis hotel offers you unparalleled hotel services. You'll enjoy our Southern charm as much as the free high-speed, wireless Internet access in our inviting rooms. With a fitness center and outdoor pool, you'll feel completely at home. We also offer a special rate for guests with a loved one at Methodist Hospital. Call our choice hotel in Memphis, Tennessee today, and take advantage of our great hotel deals and rates. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Express - Medical Center Midtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express - Medical Center Midtown Hotel Memphis
- Holiday Inn Express Memphis
- Holiday Inn Memphis
- Memphis Holiday Inn