“Surprising find”

Ranked #40 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Salem, Oregon
“Surprising find”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

After reading several reviews of this hotel I decided to take a chance. It turned out to be a good choice. Granted it is located across the street from UPS terminal and in a poverty area, it is conveniently located to Graceland, freeways into Memphis central and Germantown. Rooms are very nicely appointed; beds very comfortable; breakfast excellent. It is very clean and well maintained. Parking is in a secure fenced area. Staff are exceedingly helpful. Also very close to the airport.

Room Tip: Restaurant next to hotel is horrible. It is dirty, food is horrible.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 15, 2012

First of all my stay was the worst,there are pimps and H's walking the lobby,the morning front desk clerk is loud,rude,and ghetto she is nit professional at all.Instead of her pulling guest to the side she talks loud at them when not behind the desk.Then the pimp beat the white girl during my stay and i felt so sorry for her,but everybody else were walking around as if they were use to the enviorment.The rooms are so historic,they need a 100% makeover with staff and rooms!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

4 Thank Deniese J

Travelers are raving about these Memphis hotels

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Arrived in the evening and did not realize it was not the best neighborhood, especially for a woman alone. Except for the pancake place next door, no place nearby to eat. Thought it was odd when I inquired about places to eat the desk clerk's response was to give me brochures for places that deliver (didn't even mention the place next door) also a place that would pick me up! She was obviously getting a kickback on that one...Overall an OK experience but personally will not stay there again.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

The gated parking lot is great when you have dogs to walk. Very convenient to 240...They don't charge xtra for your dogs.The rooms are inside...some small but good for me. I feel pretty safe at this hotel and the rooms have about anything you need

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I chose this La Quinta because I was traveling with my small dogs and La Quinta allows pets in the rooms with no deposit required. Initially I was concerned about the safety of this location after reading other reviews. The hotel is located in an industrial area near the Memphis airport and there are lots of trucks all around but I felt perfectly safe staying there. The parking lot is access-controlled and requires a code to gain entry.

We were assigned a first floor non-smoking room which was nice so we could take the dogs in and out easily. The beds were very comfortable, the tv actually had a very good picture and a good choice of cable channels. The a/c worked fine and were comfortable for the 2 nights we were there.
The only issue I noticed with the room was in the bathroom. The toilet did not always flush very well and the sink was very slow to drain.

The front desk staff were all very friendly and helpful throughout our stay. I needed to find a drug store late and night and the night front desk manager was able to direct me to a nearby Walgreens store.

The breakfast each morning consisted of eggs, sausage, biscuits, juices, waffles, cereal and yogurt and was good.

Overall, this is a property I would recommend and would definitely stay there next time I am in Memphis. The only downside is the location as there is not much in the way of restaurants nearby. There is however a Kettle Pancake House adjacent to the hotel.

Room Tip: There is a concrete factory on the West side of the hotel which can get noisy. Try to request a room...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 12, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here on our way to Chicago. The hotel was very clean, the staff was friendly, the beds super comfortable, and the breakfast was awesome. When we first drove up and saw the gated parking lot, we were a little concerned. Once we got inside and met the staff and saw our room we just felt more secure. Not only were we safe and sound but so was our car. I definately would return if I ever make it to Memphis again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed at a la Quinta in Atlanta and it was very good so decided to try one in Memphis (what a mistake).
We arrived and checked in the lady that helped us was very friendly and considering she was pulling a double shift was very happy. We were checked into room 624 top floor away from freeway, as soon as we tried to connect to wifi our problems began, we could only connect if we pressed our devices up against the door and even then it was barely a signal. We need wifi as we planning a road trip acros USA and need to arrange hotels.
We went down to ask to be moved to a room that had a good signal to be told no as no other rooms available (it's a very very quiet hotel considering its a very quiet hotel apparently) the only way we can get wifi signal is sitting in the hall way or in the lobby.

We noticed there was no remote for the tv so called and asked to be told yeah come down and get one, which we did and it didn't work.

The bathroom door didn't close as the lock doesn't line up to the door frame.

The bed is so lumpy that I couldn't sleep on the left side as my back was arched from the lump so got cosy with the wife squeezing into one half of the bed.

Breakfast was the only saving grace.

Would not recommend staying here at all

Room Tip: Try a low floor and not the ends of the hotel if you want wifi
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple