“Renovations but GREAT staff”

Courtyard Memphis East/Park Avenue
Ranked #50 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Stayed at the hotel from August 15-18, 2012. After reviews, some people complained about the general condition of the hotel. Yes, it is going through major renovations and while we were there, the registration area was moved from the front to a conference room, however they did a great job in redirecting people to the proper location. All the rooms in one "wing" were being renovated and, therefore, our "wing" was not being redone. Since we were not at the hotel all day, I really can't comment on the noise factor.

I do have to say, though, the staff was exceptionally friendly and outgoing! Housekeeping was more than accommodating when I asked for extra towels. Hey, three women in a room need two towels a piece - what can I say! They all knew we were there for the Elvis Week festivities and the vigil. Each day when they saw us, they made it a point to ask what we did and what were going to do that day. I wish I would have remembered the young gal's name who took care of the breakfast room. She was the sweetest person! Very talkative, very helpful, a genuine person! Management: just a word - you've got yourself a wonderful employee there!

Really only one complaint (ya know there had to be one). The pool wasn't at its best. I noticed the plastic cup on the bottom of the pool and the one at the side of the pool near the edge, were both there the entire three days of our stay. Also one of the chairs had the same towels on it during that time and some childs flip flops were in the same spot. It was obvious there was not a daily cleaning in that pool, since the pool side scraper was laying on top of the bushes the entire time.

Other than that, just be aware of the renovations - but the staff makes up for it!

Room Tip: Our room was facing the courtyard. There is a train that is at one end - but we were never bothered...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank h8winters

Reviewed May 20, 2012 via mobile

Okay facility and room....this is a little older property and is a little tired. Staff was professional and helpful. Lot's of shopping and restaurants nearby

• Stayed: May 2012
Travis M, General Manager at Courtyard Memphis East/Park Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding our hotel.

I wanted to make you aware that the hotel will be undergoing a full renovation of the lobby and the guestrooms starting in August that will address your concerns.

At the Courtyard by Marriott, we strive to ensure that every guest has a great stay and your comments regarding, the professionalism of my staff only reaffirms our training and procedures.

We look forward to serving you again should you return to Memphis.

Reviewed May 18, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed the stay at this hotel. Check-in was fast and friendly and the bed in the hotel is totally awesome. I wished I could have packed it away in my suitcase-lol! Housekeeping was good. The room appeared to be really well kept and the bathroom was clean. The walls are really thin so its good to keep that in mind when visiting.

There are patios in all of the rooms. I stayed on the second floor and felt more comfortable that way because it can get dark on the backside of the hotel where the parking areas are. There is another hotel right beside it and the flourescent sign from that hotel beamed through our curtains at night. But, Overall this was a cool stay and I would stay there again. It was convenient to alot of restaurants and the express way was right around the corner.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a room that is on the otherside of the railroad tracks. This way the train won't...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Hotel is starting to show its age at least in the room I stayed in mostly in the bathroom. But it was clean and comfortable. Staff was very pleasant and accomodating. Can't be the price. Worth it in the end.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding our hotel.

We look forward to serving you again should you return to Memphis.

Reviewed April 30, 2012

I booked this hotel through priceline with a winning bid of $55.00 per night. We had a king bed, check in was quick and easy. the front desk clerk was very nice and addressed us by our last name. This hotel is centrally located to everything without being in the hustle and bustle of downtown. One tip, if you do the SUn studios tour, ride the FREE shuttle to Graceland and Beale St. What a gas saver!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chefstacey2007
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Stayed here 3/2012, booked thru priceline ($65 memphis east). Check in was very fast and smooth, which was appreciated. Room was very large and comfortable with a king bed. Big bathroom, very spacious. Place was clean, AC worked just fine as well. There is no fridge in the room, which was a surprise. Breakfast was good, but I had a problem with payment. They insisted on charging the meal to my room, but for my business expense purposed I need to pay for it on a company card. Their credit card system was not working so they charged it to my room, which I was not happy about. But, breakfast was good.

A big turnoff is a large train that is located across the street. It came barreling through at 5am and was very loud and shook the entire room, waking me up. I've stayed at the Hyatt directly next door and did not have this issue so I probably won't stay here again. But that being said, this is a nice place and the value was good.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank shaunbsc
Reviewed March 3, 2012

Not your best Courtyard. Dated. Walls are paper thin. Toilets slow and stop up easily. Professional staff.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank jhassinger
Travis M, General Manager at Courtyard Memphis East/Park Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2012

The hotel greatly appreciates comments you left regarding the staff and the service that the hotel delivered. The hotel will undergo renovations on the lobby and guestrooms later this year.

Please email me directly (cy.mempa.gm@marriott.com) with the room you stayed in and I will ensure that our maintenance department looks into the bathroom issue.