“Do not select this place to stay.”

Courtyard Memphis Airport
Ranked #28 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Do not select this place to stay.”
Reviewed August 28, 2010

Generally, you can trust a place like the Courtyard Marriott to have everything you would want. Not the case, with this particular place. We stayed there one night in July. It was billed as being close to Graceland which we wanted to see. what we didn't know is that it is in a bad area of town, even though it is close to the airport. The first indication was that the parking area outside is surrounded by a high metal fence which you can only access with your room key. The next indication was that the sliding glass doors on the first floor rooms were permanently shut and the worst thing was that although there were other hotels on that street there were NO Placees to eat. There weren't even any fast food restaurants. Be sure to avoid this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 14, 2010

I stayed there overnight in order to leave on a one week trip from MEM at 0645 AM. For 99$, I was able to have a King room, parking for the week and shuttle to and from the airport.

The Hotel looks a little old from the outside, and even the hallways look a little dated. The rooms are very nice. I stayed on the 2nd floor and my room had modern furniture and 46 inch flat screen TV with lots of channels. The room actually seemed at a much higher standard than the rest of the hotel. My limited interaction with the staff was very cordial. I really liked that the hotel parking is fenced in by a 10 foot fence, and the opening and closing of the gate is controlled by the staff at the counter, requiring you to buzz in and tell them your name and room number.

The shuttle is a God send, leaving the hotel every half-hour, 24/7. I had to leave around 0430am, and I simply had to show up at 0424am in the lobby to make the shuttle.

It's pretty close to Graceland too, a 5 min drive if you are interested in that.

All and all, not a 5-star hotel, but a five-star quality room from my experience.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
San Jose, California
Reviewed July 12, 2010

I stayed here July 1st-6th for a family reunion that was going on. I love all brands of marriotts' because of their cleanliness and awesome customer service. Although this particular location wasn't on par with the rest of the other properties I've stayed at. I've been here one other time before and got a room on the interior side that faces the courtyard/pool area. That time was actually pleasant and I didn't have any noise complaints as some people have mentioned.
This last time I stayed, we got a room facing the freeway which was somewhat a pain cause at night you could hear the crickets and traffic NON STOP unless the AC was on which drowned out the sound. Once in a while I'd hear the planes fly over too but it wasn't something that made the stay unbearable. On the 2nd day or so, I was going to put some water in the mini fridge when I noticed something on the floor and next thing you know, it was a dead cricket right in front of the fridge. I then proceeded to try and call the front desk but for some reason, both phones in our room weren't working for like 10-15 min. I was already upset that I found a dead bug and I didnt even want to try and look around the room to discover more surprises. Eventually the phones worked and I asked the front desk if they could have someone from housekeeping come vacuum around the room but since it was early evening, the housekeeping staff already left for the day which is understandable but she didn't even bother to say that she'd have someone come and take care of it. Her excuse as to why that dead cricket was there was " I'm sorry mam, but it probably flew in when you opened the door". First of all, I didn't even open the sliding door to go outside and how could it just fly in when the room entrance is inside the hotel? She eventually sent someone 10 minutes later after speaking to her but just the way she handled it was unacceptable, especially for marriotts' standard. Those are my main complaints. The rest of the staff were great except for her. I wish I got her name, but owell. Overall this courtyard is ok. You're not always going to get the exact room you request but if you do stay here, try to request a room facing the courtyard.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed July 11, 2010

Stayed for four nights in June 2010-Internet did not work most of time, when it did it was very slow. Only wireless was in lobby and also very slow.
Dishes dirty at breakfast. Food stuck on cutlery,greasy dishes, stained coffee cups. Attendants attitude was' Looks clean to me"!
Terrible location, no restaurants in area and I was warned not to walk outside in the evening.
I am a platinum member and obviously stay in a lot of Marriotts- This is the worst Marriott property I have ever been to.
Never Again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed July 1, 2010

Visiting Memphis for the weekend and needed a decent place to stay. I found this hotel to be nice, clean and safe. Although located on a business district street, it's not as bad and I felt safe in my surroundings. The front desk has cameras located in several areas outside and you need to get buzzed in to park inside the gate. The bed was comfortable, good ac, and soft good smelling towels. The hotel is minutes from downtown and all other shops and restuarants are no more than 10 minutes away. For the price and convinience, I had a pleasent stay. I would reccommend it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
O'Fallon, Missouri
Reviewed June 29, 2010

My first night here after my children was put to bed i decided to go for a swin and 3 min after getting in the water the staff came and closed to pool (said it was for safety resaons) got back to the room and noticed the toilet was running. I tought maybe it was just filling up but no it ran all night long, got up the next morning and noticed the carpet was hanging off the walls. I went to the manger and she said she would fix it however after return back to the hotel after a long day with four children the carpet was the still hanging off the wall. I called front deck and they sent a guy to rip the carpet off the wall and when he was unable to do it he just walked out. Later that day, I went to get in the pool again around 6pm and they said they were closing the pool for cleaning. We had they worst time ever my husband, my children and myself had a horrible experience. When I talked to Management at check out, she said that I was paying for a bed and they provided that.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Zebrina13
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 2, 2010

My husband and I decided at the last minute to go to Memphis over Memorial Day Weekend. Found this hotel on Priceline and booked a room that included Platinum Tickets for Graceland.

We got there at about 7:30p on Friday and the lady that checked me in was so kind, her name was LaSabra. Even nicer, the parking lot is gated and free which concerned me at first, but then realized I was being silly. We were on the first floor that faced the Hwy in a King Suite, no smoking. The hotel was nice and clean, lots of towels and pillows and the room had a sliding glass door which was nice cause we parked right by it and although there was no sidewalk, we still carried our bags in that way-convenient!!!

When we went back out to ask for a cab LaSabra said that a cab would be more exp than parking on Beale - very nice of her to offer. She even gave us directions from the hotel to Beale, which was kind, although we have built in GPS in our car.

It is by the airport, but I didn't hear any planes and the hwy was a bit rowdier than I would have liked but that was because it was bike night on Beale Street so there were a lot of Harleys going by, but that didn't bother us. The room also has a thermostat, so you can set it at the temp you want rather than leaving the room air or heat on all the time like most hotels.

All in all when we go back we will definately try to book this hotel again!! I can't wait to come back to Memphis - loved it!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple