“No frills airport hotel”

Courtyard Memphis Airport
Ranked #27 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Basic hotel, a bit dated. No coffee or tea other than 5am -12pm in lobby. Breakfast start 7am so not good for early flights. Shuttle pickup at rental cars is good, as is to airport. Small, dated bathroom but all is adequate. If you don't have a car, forget redtaurants as there is nothing commercial close.

• Stayed: August 2011

Reviewed August 19, 2011

Had to spend a couple of nights in a hotel near mid-town Memphis, and this hotel fit the bill in terms of location and price. The hotel is located in an office park comlpex near the Memphis airport. Not a whole lot nearby in terms of retaurants, etc, so if you stay here you will need a car. Pretty muchyour standard courtyard hotel--our room had 2 queen beds (reasonably comfortable), a large flat screen tv, the standard desk, and lounge chair. The bathroom was basically clean, but there were a few small places where mildew had built up. I stepped into the shower the night we checked in, and had a lot of problems controlling the water temperature and pressure---something was wrong, and really struggled with the shower know to turn off the water. Called the front desk and asked them to send someone up to take a look--they said it would have to wait til tomorow, but asked if I wanted a new room; I stayed where I was give the late hour, and the next day when I returned in the afternoon, they had fixed hte shower--so pretty decent service---no complaints how it was handled. Upin checking in, the front desk staff was ok---professional but hardly friendly. Biggest complint was the noise--lots of noise coming frm the A/C--maybe the loudest I have heard in a hotel. In addition, there are constant flights taking off and landing at MEM (FedEX I guess) all through the night---you can most definitely heare the planes as they arrive and depart. Does not make for a soothing nights sleep. I also used the hotel's exercise facilties twice--very limited in terms of equipment--two bikes, one treadmill, and some free weights. TV in the room gets lousy reception too. Overal all, and adequate stay, but would likely look for another place next time I am in Memphis.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 17, 2011

I just spent the night at the Courtyard Hotel close to the Memphis airport. This hotel is convenient for travelers and they offer a shuttle that runs to the airport every thirty minutes. It seems that one’s experience at this hotel will be based on who happens to be working the front desk.
My check in went very smoothly and the young lady working the front desk was friendly and helpful with directions. The room was spacious and well appointed, but the mattress was not what is typically found at Marriott. However, they were okay for sleeping. The hotel is in a pretty rough neighborhood and the gates are closed at 10:00 PM. If you are out past that time you have to use a room key to open the gates. At 5:00 AM air planes started taking off and the noise woke me up. But, this is an “airport hotel”, so that is to be expected.
My experience in the morning was the complete opposite. When I got up I did not have a receipt under my door. I went to the front desk and asked if hotel receipts are usually placed under the door and inform him that I did not have one. This young man working at the front desk was on his I-phone and barely looked up, but then continued doing something with his phone. He mumbled something and asked for my room number. While I was standing there he would stop to help other guest. . It took him almost 10 minutes to get the receipt for me.
The people working the breakfast area were also indifferent to their customers. I had an early flight and went to the breakfast area around 6:15 AM. Although breakfast was supposed to start at 6:00 AM, the staff still did not have plates or coffee cups out, and they were still putting the food items out for the buffet. I had to ask for a cup of coffee and never did see any glasses for the juice. I was at the restaurant approximately 25 minutes and the waitress never came back to refill my coffee cup. When she brought me my bill for my breakfast she failed to refresh my coffee.
Sadly, if you need to stay close to the airport, the Courtyard with all its faults is probably the best hotel in the area.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank FLJ021251
Reviewed June 22, 2011

I was scared to stay here, based on the reviews, and sadly, they are right. I didn't have much choice . The woman at the front desk was the rudest person I have ever experienced in the hospitality industry. I was shocked. Room was not very clean. The only place to eat is a Subway...honestly. And the hotel is behind a very tall iron gate, that is both comforting, I guess, and disconcerting, as well. I didn't sleep well and left very early. Never again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank RoadWarrior0219
Reviewed March 11, 2011

I stayed here with my two daughters as part of a dance group competing in Memphis. The staff was very surly - almost ugly at times. The pull out bed had food on the mattress. There were many maintenance issues in our group - missing refrigerator, broken toilet, The breakfast was good but the hostess was hostile and not helpful. The hotel is in a bad neighborhood not near restaurants or activities. Airplanes flying oeverhead all night. We travel frequently and usually stay at Marriotts. This was definitely not up to standard. Could have tolerated alot but the attitude of the staff was that they were doing us a favor by letting us stay there.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 2, 2011

I honestly would not suggest to anyone to stay at this hotel. The location is descrete and in the middle of a business park, and one subway directly across the way from it. My experience here was not very good. I had to wait 30 mins to an hour for the airport shuttle, while I saw other hotels come and go constantly picking up guests from the airport. Once I made it to the hotel the front desk clerk was no where to be found, it was night time so I was very tired and anxious to get to my room. The next day I found that the breakfast they serve was out of date and highly overpriced. The up side to it was the young lady who was my server was very nice and gave me other options to go with. Most of the front desk clerks I dealt with were very rude and heartless, especially the young lady who wore the wig, which I thought was so tacky! The housekeepers were very nice and kind and the night driver was very nice and helpful with my bags. Will I believe his name was. Overall I would rate this hotel a 5.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 26, 2011

I stayed here at the tail end of a business trip because I had an early flight out the next morning.

The positives: The shuttle will pick you up at the rental car return so you can avoid the car shuttle to the aiport. Front desk staff were very helpful with my questions.

The not so positives: Even though I requested a room away from road traffic, my sleep was disturbed by highway traffic all night as I was on a side of the building. Be prepared. The shuttle only runs on the half hour. If you call at 8:05, the driver will pick you up on his next run---when he leaves the hotel at 8:30. It is a 10 minute ride. The location was literally in a business park with no restaurants or amenities around the area. You are paying for the room, that's it. No coffeee available until 5am in the lobby.

This hotel served my purpose but I will stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business