“I went here thinking a Donut is a Donut - NOT!”
Review of Gibson's Donuts

Gibson's Donuts
Ranked #1 of 42 Dessert in Memphis
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night
Lakewood Ranch, Florida
“I went here thinking a Donut is a Donut - NOT!”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I like donuts, but would not normally make a donut shop a destinations. Friends recommended I stop here while in Memphis.

It an old place and very busy. I had the New Orleans Butter Drop (or something like that) and a old fashioned Sour Cream donut.

I never knew a donut could taste like a cross between a donut and a cupcake. I can certainly understand why people swear these are the best donuts they have ever tasted. They are really good!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Robin C

Kansas
“Seriously, the best donuts ever...”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

This place has pretty much ruined me for any other donuts the rest of my life. We got a dozen and munched on donuts for the nine hour drive home. We had blueberry, red velvet, New Orleans, glazed, apple fritters, and old fashioned. I liked the apple fritters and New Orleans the best. Some have said the service was not friendly. Yeah, it was not overly friendly, but it was fine. They are just being efficient because there is always a line and I appreciated how fast they served people.

Visited June 2013
South Dakota
“Better than a chain”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

If you're looking to satisfy that donut craving, this non-chain donut shop is located off Poplar Avenue (in a bland, forgettable strip), with parking right out front, and the door is open 24/7.

Both cake and yeast donuts (and eclairs) are very good -- not the very best I've had, but still -- and there are varieties such as red velvet and bacon-topped that awaken any lazy taste buds. Try one, try 'em all, figure out your favorite -- just be aware it may not be in the case every visit. Prices are more than reasonable.

Service can be hit or miss. Atmosphere is boring, circa '70s, and not squeaky clean. But a box of Gibson's and a box of Gus's fried chicken (so considerately nearby!) and you're ready for one heckuva decadent road trip.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank goseedo
Cincinnati
“Gibson's donuts are OK”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I was expecting something special. But I found good cake donuts. The variety was very limited, maybe 8 types. My visit was 9-10 am and I expected more. My advice is to not travel more than 5 minutes out of your way during travel. Otherwise, you will feel disappointed.

• Visited May 2013
Memphis, Tennessee
“Mr Don is the best !!!”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Gibson's is the best donut shop ever!!! The staff is friendly. Mr Don is the best at making you feel like you're his favorite customer. My family and I have been going here for years. The donuts (New Orleans, blueberry, and donut holes) are like biting into air and with cold milk you can't go wrong. The best thing about Gibson's is it's always open (except Christmas) and the half off donuts after 11 pm. The run on donuts during that time is great to just watch - from the U of M students to the customers in pajama pants is a sight to behold. Great place!!

• Visited May 2013

Been to Gibson's Donuts? Share your experiences!