“Donuts .... After dinner”
Review of Gibson's Donuts

Gibson's Donuts
Ranked #1 of 42 Dessert in Memphis
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night
Downey, California, United States
“Donuts .... After dinner”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We were so curious about this donut place. We drove 10 miles to try it after eating ribs! Never had bacon donut so we tried it. We weren't happy with it but the other donuts were great. Maybe it's better in the morning with milk or coffee... The glazed donuts is a must try. Friendly staff. I will come back and try other flavors....

• Visited November 2012

“Sweet ... Yummy... Melt-in-your-mouth ... Unadulterated Sin!”
Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

It has been considerably difficult to compile a review worthy of Gibson's Donuts. And I'm morose to say that this review does not do the establishment justice.

I perused all of the previous reviews of patrons before me who have spoken quite eloquently ... Even poetically of the sugar laden offerings of this particular little treasure. I thought to myself 'they have said it all.... What more is there to say!'

In truth there isn't.

I love donuts ... who doesn't - really (even those who say they don't know they secretly long for that pillowy soft dough and the slight crunch of a sugar glaze)!

I do try not to eat them very often - for obvious reasons! I used to find this a considerably easy task as there is only one Krispy Kreme donut place around Memphis - and it is not convenient for me to hop over to.

You see, I used to believe that Krispy Kreme was the bees knees - begin all end all - last word in donuts.

Boy oh boy was I wrong.

I have tried Gibson's on and off throughout my years here in Memphis ... And they are some of the best donuts I have ever had. And I've had donuts all over.

I read a few reviews that said the donuts where too sweet ... This slightly baffles me. I thought that was pretty much the point of a donut ... And Gibson's more than delivers on this point!

I'm pretty predictable In ordering I will get one of three kinds: Lemon, glazed plain, or Apple Fritter.

All are fantastic here. The Apple fritter is monstrous and I can only eat about half if I set my mind to it - otherwise only about a third. It is full of apple chunks and cinnamon... Yum.

But what really prompted me to finally write a review was at a Yelp 'office hours' I tried one half of a Red Velvet Donut... OMG... No seriously ..... That's what my brain said as my mouth was utterly speechless... And I'm pretty sure my eyes rolled into the back of my head.

Apparently my brain speaks in acronyms when it is overstimulated.

Red velvet cake is very easily done wrong ... But when it is done correctly it is a true indulgence.

A Red velvet donut... Dear heavens the decadence!

Gibson's red velvet donut is moist and has great crumb, it is lightly blanketed with some thin sugary glaze and on top of this already sinful concoction is a thick slathering of cream cheese frosting (sometimes they sprinkle a few red velvet crumbs over the frosting just for good measure - or defiance to every diet know to man- the bloody cheek!).

It's a delicious doozy of a donut!

The first time I only ate half ... Three days later I went back secretly and ate an entire one by myself. And I did not feel one ounce of remorse - it was that good!

Oh Gibson's you are the devil ... Tempting passerby with you cheery lighted signage and glass fronted store .... Looking so open, innocent, and inviting ...

Why must you make being bad taste so divinely good!

1 Thank The_Lady_Gadiva
Memphis, Tennessee
“Best Donuts in the South”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

For 14 years my family has enjoyed weekly donuts at Gibsons. We've never been disappointed. Recently we dropped by late at night after an adventure through the local haunted corn maze. We had Gibson's pumpkin donuts. Fantastic! If you live in Memphis and haven't tried them or are visiting Memphis briefly, don't miss this local favorite.

Visited October 2012
Germantown, Tennessee
“Always Great Donuts”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Always great donuts, but they often sell out of many styles and flavors early. Usually half price items each evening after 11pm. They are open 24 hours.

Visited September 2012
“Good donuts, bad service”
Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Chocolate and vanilla donuts were yummy. (sadly, they ran out of maple bacon.) BUT, I got the impression that the girl behind the counter either didn't want to be there on a Sat morning or didn't want to serve me because of my race (Asian). (Little eye contact, very abrupt with me when answering my questions and then when I paid, she dropped the change into my hand, as if she was afraid to touch my hand). Very strange! The service soured my like for the donuts. I would not go back nor would I recommend.

2 Thank Jjmilewski

Been to Gibson's Donuts? Share your experiences!