“Clean and conveinent to Interstate”

Four Points By Sheraton Memphis-Southwind
Ranked #43 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Murphysboro IL
“Clean and conveinent to Interstate”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We are members of the Sheraton SPG program and because of rewards try to stay at one of the brands of Sheraton. When looking at going to Memphis we have family and did not like what we read about the downtown Sheraton on Beale street so we choose to find another hotel inside the SPG family. We choose this Southwind version because it had indoor pool (again family with little one) and parking was free. What we found was indeed parking was plenty and was very well lite up so there was no worries about security. The property is kind of out in open so with the lighting and being open I don't believe it has appeal to most thieves. It is also pretty convenient to get on and off of the interstate/beltway loop to be able to get other places. We did find it being on outside loop of city that it did take us 15-20 minutes to get to most attractions. The hotel itself is clean. We got two rooms with one being a King bed and the other having two double beds for our kids. Both rooms had plenty of room and a special almost separate sitting area in it. The sitting area is nice if you got to do things and don't want to wake your spouse. Surprising was they had a larger refrigerator that was empty for our use. We stayed 4 days so this was very nice to have our drinks and junk supplies. In the room also is a microwave which is nice for those leftover take back to hotel room items. The internet is free and works great.
One thing we did try was the in house "PinWheeel" restaurant. It seems to always be empty and the one time we tried it was very very slow and we were their only customer. In 4 days we were there I never once seen anyone in that restaurant. I found it odd that they delivered each of our 4 meals separately over a 10 minute time spread. It seems they automatically add 18% tip to your bill which I don't like. The nice thing is there is plenty of places close by the hotel to eat.
We did alternating days between the "green" status (where they don't clean your room) and full clean. I found that they don't vacuum the floors when they clean which ours really needed (did I mention we have kids and holiday junk food?). I also had to put the heat on emergency heat to be able to get our room from 69 to a comfortable for us 72 as the normal heat mode did not seem to do anything.
Overall not a bad place to stay but does have a few small issues that would not preclude us from trying it again. I am an older person that has traveled most place in US plus 52 other countries so I tend to notice little things that may not bother others. Safety and security for my family is number 1 and I had no issues with that.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Turkish first
Fayetteville, Georgia
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed at this hotel with a soccer group for a tournament. We were greeted by very efficient and friendly staff at the front desk in a very classy, modern lobby. Then we went to our room. The bed was very uncomfortable and the sofa bed was horrible. The carpeting very badly needed to be vacuumed. The nifty dispensers in the bathroom for shampoo, conditioner and shower gel were empty. The shower curtain was too short to tuck inthe tub to keep a lake from forming on the floor. We set the air on a comfortable temperature and it went there...and then reverted back to the original hot temperature we found it on. And it was very loud. On the plus side, the breakfast that was provided in a meeting room for our group was very decent and the young man who kept it stocked was very pleasant. The rooms were well soundproofed so we didnt hear noise from the other guests or the traffic we could see on the highway that was very close by. And when I asked for more towels, they brought me a huge stack within minutes. Also, there is a Cracker Barrel restaurant across the parking lot.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
USA
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This hotel was formerly a Comfort Suites and Sheraton 4 Points bought it and totally renovated the hotel from top to bottom. Really nice place for the money (usually under $100). Rooms are well appointed with nice flat screen tv's, etc., a nice gym and pool as well.
Just one problem with this hotel. It is located in a very suspect part of town. If I were a thief looking for a parking lot full of cars to break in to, this hotels parking lot would be like Christmas morning to me. It simply is not protected enough. The parking is down both sides of the hotel and not in the front where the staff can keep an eye on things. With the cars parked where they are, it would be VERY EASY for a thief to break in to a car or steal it as there is no one to stop them or even see them.
I asked the staff if they had a night guard walking the grounds and they do not. They told me they had never had a problem and did not expect one. But there are at least 20 signs all over this parking lot warning you they they are not responsible. I have enclosed a picture of one and it is not just a warning, it is a very detailed legal entity that relieves the hotel of 100% of the liability in any way concerning your car. If they hotel thought the parking lot was safe, why are the signs every where? I have never seen signs like this anywhere.
Other than this, the hotel was perfect.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Larry8241
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 25, 2012

This a pretty new property for SPG this a good easy access place to stay no fuss easy parking. there are many places to eat close by, the hotel restaurant is right in the lobby with no separation, i found that a little weird. The food at the restaurant was good and reasonably priced. the service is a little slow due to the final cash out part, the waitress runs to the front dest to have it rang up, which brings service to a stand still. Otherwise a good choice for NON tourists that ae just passing thru.Parking lot is well Lit and this seems to be in a pretty good neighborhood. Front desk staff very helpful and friendly. I hope everyone finds this helpful.

Room Tip: all rooms are the same
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank boilermonster
Guest-Agent-Rachel, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points By Sheraton Memphis-Southwind, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
We do apologize that we were slow when you were attempting to cash out for the evening. We have remedied this by putting a cash drawer at the restaurant. We hope you come back and see us again to see how we have improved!
Illinois
Reviewed January 10, 2012

I travel to Memphis frequently and like to earn points by staying at Comfort Suites, so I've tried a number of them here. This one was very nice, newer, and the location is very close to a lot of restaurants and shopping, while still being convenient to the highway. I was impressed to find out they have an airport shuttle as it is a ways from the airport. Couldn't quite give it an excellent as the lighting in the bathroom is really inadequate for applying makeup. Pretty sconces but more form than function, and a bit of mold along the bathtub. But I'll definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: 4th floor is wonderfully quiet
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank businesstrav1
N/A
Reviewed August 17, 2011

I stayed at this hotel during the summer and the hotel is really nice, but the staff was horrible. When my family and I arrived our first room was dirty, and the second one we were given had other people items still in the room. The staff was horrible both night and morning staff. I will never ever stay at this hotel again. The way they talked to the black people in there was just down right wrong, I am not black and I felt really bad for the way they talked to them. I will never ever stay there again and I will tell all of my friends to avoid this hotel whenever they are in Memphis. To Mr Cerrato and Ms Higgingbotham please find a new line of work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Deedy D
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed August 2, 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at the hotel. With this being our first trip to Memphis we were unsure about where to stay however this turned out to be a great pick. The surrounding area was quite and near shopping....Our room was elegant and clean, hot breakfast every morning, and the workers at the front desk were helpful.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple