“Why stay at the Peabody when you have this gem!”

Talbot Heirs Guesthouse
Ranked #1 of 18 Memphis B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 13, 2009

On our arrival by car we were met outside by Tom, the man with the deepest voice in the South - and also one of the friendliest hosts on our road trip.
Parking is in a multi-story safe garage about 1 block away.
We stayed in suite 7, and it was the largest room of our 16 days on the road. It was funky, modern, spacious and felt nice to stretch out in it for our 2 day stay.
A Peabody suite may offer the glamour and glitz but the location, service and size of room are comparable at a fraction of the cost.
Everything a visitor to Memphis wants is nearby.
We did not suffer any noise from Beale street or nearby bars or construction work taking place nearby.
This was one location on our road trip where we wished we had booked more nights.
Memphis is a great city with plenty to see and do and Talbot Heirs is well worthy of its high rank on T.A.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gst1

Reviewed June 10, 2009

Perfect location, perfect rooms, perfect funkiness, perfect owners. Instead of staying in an overpriced soulless hotel, staying at Talbot Heirs feels like your own spacious apartment in the best part of downtown Memphis.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wildtrekker
Reviewed June 7, 2009

Great place to stay.Tom and Sandy what can I say brillant hosts just want to make your stay as pleasant as possible and want you to get the most out of your visit with helpful information.The rooms are big like a apartment and you feel like you are at home very quiet and relaxing I had suite 5 and had a lovely wee balcony to sit out and read and listen to the night life but once back inside door shut couldnt hear a thing and I am a light sleeper so overall I had a wonderful stay there 9 nights and as it was my trip of a life time ( from NZ )Thanks Tom and Sandy.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed May 16, 2009

We stayed at Talbot Heirs for the Memphis in May World Championship of BBQ Competition from May 14th to May 17th. Overall, the hotel was quaint, the room was decent (we stayed in suite 6), and the owners were very friendly and willing to give advice on where to go and what to do. However, I booked the room months in advance, and I felt that the owners should have disclosed that there was major construction on a new building directly behind the hotel, which awakened us at 6:30 am even on Saturday! If you are a light sleeper, I do not recommend this hotel...music is blaring from Beale Street and the surrounding restaurants until early morning, you'll hear trash cans being dragged to the curb at the end of the night, the air conditioner was very loud when it kicked on, and of course, we heard the construction, which at times even caused vibrations in the room. I will say that if you want to be close to all there is to do in Memphis, this is a good place to stay. Only 2 short blocks from Beale Street, 1.5 blocks from Rendezvous and the Peabody Hotel, and a short trolley ride to the National Civil Rights Museum. It was nice to have a kitchen and living area in addition to the bedroom. Everything was cleaned when we left in the morning, and they provide orange juice, coffee, and snacks in the room, which are included with the room fee.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2009

Attending a convention at The Peabody Hotel - so glad I stayed here instead. It's private and safe. My room was essentially a large studio apartment with lovely wood floors, a small balcony, and art from local artists. The decor is funky - no antiques. Very clean - my allergies did not flare up like they often do in older buildings. Bed was SUPER comfortable. The proprietors were extremely helpful and nice. Parking at nearby garage with a swipe-card, extremely convenient.

I spent a quite a bit of time working on my laptop in my room. The desk was comfortable and the wireless internet was fast.

Please note - this is not a B&B; no breakfast, which was fine with me because B&B breakfasts are usually so fattening. They do provide cereal and biscotti, which was all I needed. Plenty of restaurants and nightlife within 3 block radius; good Thai restaurant around the corner.

A little more money than I would usually pay, but worth it. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed December 29, 2008

This adorable guesthouse totally exceeded my expectations. First, the location could not be better. All of the interesting places downtown are within walking distance. After a night on Beale Street, you can walk two blocks back to the hotel. It is across the street from the Peabody if you want to watch the ducks. Second, the rooms. They are huge, individual, complete with kitchens (not "kitchenettes"), beautifully furnished, spotlessly clean. It seems more like staying in a friend's apartment, not a hotel. Third, the food, juice and snacks are stocked every day and there is NO EXTRA CHARGE. I couldn't believe that!

But most important is the hospitality of Tom and Sandy. They are delightful hosts who take pride in making sure guests have an outstanding stay at the hotel and in their city which they know very well. My group ended up taking them to dinner on a Mississippi dinner cruise, and it was like we had known them a long time. Their charm really made this vacation special.

If I thought anything could be improved at this establishment, I would share it right now, but everything was excellent -- probably the best hotel I have ever found, and I used to be a travel agent!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank mojie163
Reviewed August 29, 2008

My adult son and I planned to visit a nun friend in Memphis this past August.
We checked the Internet and learned of this property. After reading the overwhelmingly positive reviews, we decided to book it. When I called Talbot Heirs, I spoke to Mr. Tom Franck, one of the owners. After talking with him, I felt very comfortable that I had made the right choice of where to stay.

We stayed the week before the week of Elvis festivities. The location is superb - right in the heart of everything. You can walk to Beale Street and the many fine restaurants. It is a safe property and is kept locked at all times. The owners, Tom and Sandy, are very gracious and welcoming. They orient you to their property and will give suggestions if asked. They will also get on their computer (at NO charge to you) to retrieve e-documents that you may have forgotten to bring (such is the case with us).

The room was spacious, clean, and well-appointed. It has an artsy flair and the paintings are very interesting. They keep a stocked refrigerator of basics for breakfast. They even carry your luggage to and from the facility.

We plan to visit Memphis again next year. This facility was beyond our expectations and we will book a stay there again. I highly recommend this place for all travellers to Memphis. You will not be disappointed.

DG

• Stayed: August 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank CatalexIllinois