“Great Ribs”

Central BBQ
Ranked #10 of 1,497 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Neighborhood: Cooper Young Community Association
Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

I loved the dry ribs. Side of beans and slaw were just okay. We ate outside since it was lovely evening. Traffic noise was not a plus but not too bad.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,069)

Reviewed October 15, 2013

I recently visited Central BBQ after it was voted Best in Memphis by Memphis Flyer and Memphis Magazine. I enjoyed my visit at the Central Ave. location. Small location with limited parking, but my overall experience was great. I can't eat pork, however, I did get the pulled Chicken plate with Fries and Beans as sides. Great Food! Nice Atmosphere, Great Patio offering. Will definitely continue to patronize.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I came here for lunch with some coworkers and you walk into a shack-style cafeteria pick up line. It's very small... I ordered a pulled pork sandwich with slaw on the side and green beans. We sat in a picnic table in a crowded indoor picnic-type area. It was very hard to move around in there because the picnic tables were practically on top of each other. Our food came out and immediately I looked at the green beans- canned and sad looking. I gave them a chance and I was right...sad. The pulled pork was good but the sauce was way too sweet for me. I like a tangy BBQ sauce, not a sweet and slimy one. I had heard this place was a staple in Memphis and the BEST BBQ I could eat. Man, are they wrong. I was disappointed because it was so highly recommended, but I was definitely let down. There are SO many other BBQ places in Memphis and this one is subpar. The Bar-B-Q Shop on Madison Ave blows this one out of the water! I don't know if I'd ever go back or take my family here because the BBQ Shop is just so much better.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

First restaurant I visited,ribs were fatty,Cole slaw not that good,but the banana pudding was worth my visit,just wish they served odouls

Reviewed October 13, 2013

My husband and I are something of BBQ connoisseurs. Our favorite tends to be Texas style BBQ, so keep that in mind reading this review. The chicken was great; frequently bbq chicken is dry and leathery and this was not. The pulled pork was excellent. The ribs seemed dry (though we ordered them "dry" as opposed to "wet" with regards to sauce added). After adding the provided sauce (also very good) it was much better. The brisket was very thinly sliced, more like sandwich meat than what we consider great brisket. We felt it was dry and just so-so. Our sides were okay: coleslaw, beans and homemade potato chips.

Their banana pudding was excellent! If you go pass on the brisket and go for the pulled pork.