“Good stuff!”

Central BBQ
Ranked #9 of 1,457 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Neighborhood: Cooper Young Community Association
Bath, Pennsylvania
“Good stuff!”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Awesome pulled pork nachos(ask for them on the house made chips). I had the pulled pork plate (huge quantity) and my husband had the 1/2 wet and 1/2dry ribs. I would definitely recommend this spot

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Richmond, Virginia
“More Good Memphis Cue”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Well, I did Leonard's Dry Ribs for lunch and as part of my cue tour I decided to do Central BBQ for dinner (their downtown location). I got their wet ribs and a roll and ordered an extra side of mac and cheese. Bit into the roll and it was a generic store bought roll as compared to the awesome homemade biscuits at Leonard's. Bit into the Mac and Cheese and was skeptical at first. However, by the second bite I was sold-good mac and cheese covered with a sprinkling of dry rub which added a nice flavor to it. Then I got into the wet ribs and these were slathered!!! in sauce. There is no way to eat these things without looking ridiculous. A sizeable amount of meat for a half rack (10 dollars). It is located right next to the Lorraine Hotel/National Civil Rights Center. You may have to park a block away if you are driving, but you should be able to find free parking. If you are staying downtown just take the main street trolley to the Civil Rights Center and walk the block down the hill. Reasonably priced. Compared to Leonard's the quality of food is about equal, but I give Leonard's a slight edge based on warmth, not that the help was unfriendly here, but was just wowed by Leonard's. Should come out spending no more than 10-15 dollars per person.

Rochester, Minnesota
“Excellent BBQ - Close to Downown Memphis”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

After much research for out family roadtrip , Central BBQ was the place we decided to stop at while in Memphis. It was an easy location to navigate to and was close to downtown. The atmosphere was relaxing and the BBQ was AWESOME. We took our 2 teenage kids who could not get enough of the BBQ chicken and pork. It was the perfect pit stop on our way to New Orleans.

There was a small area where you can buy t-shirts and BBQ seasonings for a reasonable price

• Visited June 2013
San Antonio
“Pretty Good”
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Our family was traveling through Memphis from another state on southeast coast and decided to pull up on trip advisor a good BBQ joint near downtown. Well many different places popped up but being from out of town you don't just want to go to just any one especially when you don't know the various sides of town good or bad.

Felt it was a great place when we pulled up cause there was alot of cars and people.Not actually downtown but near...I say about 10min from on central ave.

I got the combo rib plate(add two meats) beef/pork with cole slaw and potato salad.

Rib I got half wet/dry..ribs were my FAV very delicious and tender!

Pulled pork was dry but edible.
Beef was average but good.

Sides : all but cole slaw was good.
Cabbage tasted not so fresh.

Overall I would say go for the ribs..alot cause they were GREAT!!!

Good to stop at if your willing to take some time from your road trip and travelling time to grab some Memphis TN BBQ.

Plano, Texas
“Health Inspectors Dream”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Our out-of-town group ate here on the 4th of July, largely because of Trip Advisor reviews and Payne's being closed for vacation. We had large pulled pork sandwiches, which were average tasting and a little dry. We pumped some BBQ sauce from the condiments jug to slather our sandwiches, which made things OK. But before eating, we noticed the place was really dirty- like our hand sticking to the rest room door while exiting. Oh well- part of the charm, right? Sure enough- 4 hours later, it felt like I was trying to digest razor blades. And my wife in syncopation, who had eaten exactly what I had, felt the same way. Needless to say, we've visited plenty of bathrooms while traveling back home these last four days.

Who knows what got us, but I'm betting it was something from this restaurant. Cruddy ice machine? BBQ sauce pump never cleaned? 100 other possibilities- who knows? But some rookie Memphis Health Inspector could probably earn a fast promotion by visiting this place and writing a book full of citations in just 10 minutes.

2 Thank James A

Been to Central BBQ? Share your experiences!