“Best BBQ in Memphis”

Central BBQ
Ranked #17 of 1,528 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Neighborhood: Cooper Young Community Association
Reviewed January 10, 2013

This is the Best BBQ in Memphis. Hands down. It has gained much more attention in the last few years, which I kind of hate because I don't want to wait in line! Their BBQ is consistently good. Their side are amazing! They have local Ghost River Brewery on tap. The ribs are fall off the bone tender, every time. You can get dry or wet or half and half. I usually opt for the dry as they have the sauces available for dipping (not that they need it). My other favorite is the BBQ nachos. They are listed as an appetizer, but I get as my meal. If you are the only one eating on them, get the half order if you want to be able to stand and walk out the door. Not listed on the menu, but makes them doubly good, get the nachos on their house made potato chips instead of tortilla chips. Drooling now just thinking of them. The pork plate, the pork sandwich all good. They do have other meats, but this is a pork town. The inside is small, but when weather is nice they have a great patio and occasionally live music. If you are a tourist sticking to downtown they recently opened a downtown location that is just as good and a great environment.

1  Thank GrizzFan85
Write a ReviewReviews (3,259)

Reviewed January 9, 2013

They were delicious! Counter service was fast. Ribs for two was more than we could finish. Weekday lunch was busy but we found seating with no problems. I wish my town had one.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Asked around before deciding which Memphis BBQ joint we should go to. The locals all said Central, though we'd heard good things about Rendezvous. Alas, Rendezvous was closed for the week, so off to Central's downtown location, next to the Lorraine Motel. If you're going to the National Civil Rights Museum, then stop here for lunch.

Went for dinner on a Thursday in January... place was DEAD! Like no one else. Order at the counter, immediately our pulled pork nachos show up, but before we had a time to eat them, here come the mains. Price were average, and while ribs fell off the bone, I've had better. Not worth a special trip.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Arrived at 11 am on a weekday- line was out the door but moved fairly quickly. Our party of 4 sampled all different menu items. The pulled pork and banana pudding were favorites, everything else was excellent as well.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Ate here after a long day of sight-seeing and after reading positive reviews on TA. We arrived on a Sunday late-afternoon and the place was still really busy - lines almost out the door, parking lot virtually full, inside seating very limited, and wait for food prep took a while. However, the wait was worth it. My wife had the 1/2 chicken and I had the pork plate. The portions are very large. The meats were very tasty. The pork I had was easily the best that I've had so far in Memphis and most likely in my top five in the Southeast. The sauces were very good, esp. the hot one. I also had their banana pudding and it was one of the creamiest that I've ever had.

On the con-side, the wait for the food was little long. Yes, I know that it's a popular place, but surely by now they would realize the need to beef up the staff esp. for a major holiday weekend that's compounded by a bowl game. Plus, they ran out of silverware right before we received our food and several of us patrons had to ask for and remind the staff of such numerous times. I finally gave up and walked up to the front counter and reached over and grabbed some plastic-ware and smiled at the staff while doing so.

Nevertheless, the food was great and overcompensated for the sub-par speeds. I'd definitely go back for the BBQ and would recommend it to anyone visiting the city. Do include this in any Memphis BBQ Trail itinerary.

2  Thank publius358

Been to Central BBQ? Share your experiences!