“Great BBQ - Event for Vegetarians!”
Review of Central BBQ

Central BBQ
Ranked #17 of 1,528 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Neighborhood: Cooper Young Community Association
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Wanted to get my meat-loving guest some BBQ before he headed back north, so even though I avoid BBQ places as a vegetarian I thought we would try it out. We arried at 11:10 on a Tuesday morning and the line was already out the door with cops, airmen, doctors, and college students. I was prepared to eat coleslaw but was pleasantly surprised to see they had a BBQ Portobello Sandwich with Smoked Gouda - delicious! The BBQ sauce was great, mushroom well done. The pulled-pork sandwich was called "one of the best ever" at my table. We shared a piece of carmel cake and it was totally delicious. Highly recommend this place for BBQ (on my friend's word) even if you're a vegetarian (on mine).

Write a ReviewReviews (3,259)

Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

We have been a 2 week southern eating road trip! We have honestly been seeking out ribs whenever and wherever possible.

Everyone told us to go to Rendezvous, which was closed Sundays. So after visiting the Martin Luther King, civil rights museum our noses lead us right to the new location of Central BBQ.

Words cannot describe the taste of the ribs. Get a whole rack and you still won't want to share them we ordered them half dry and half wet. We also ordered the combo platter of the pulled pork, turkey and chicken. That was good but trust me, just order the ribs and you will be Sooo happy.

Mike the manager, then gave us a tour if the smoker and we met everyone behind the scenes. They called our tour the "pork museum" hahah. My mouth is watering as I write this review.

Enjoy and think of me when you bite into those ribs.....

Reviewed October 28, 2012

While dining at another restaurant that I reviewed, I conferred with the "Chef", who came out to me us...since we were both from the same part of the South. I told him of my first experience on Beale Street with BBQ. ( I was not impressed.) He informed me to try Central BBQ. The next day my wife and I did. The "Q" was really better than my first experience. They had a hot spicy sauce, that expecially attracted my taste, and a mild sauce. Both were good and complemented the meats. The meats were "almost to perfection".........a little crispy on the edges of the ribs (some like that... I don't), but other wise really good. The cole slaw didn't excite my taste buds either. Brisket was delicious and the sausage not over cooked. The environment was comparable for the establishment and busy. Worth the try if you're in Memphis. 10/26/12

Reviewed October 28, 2012

We wanted to try Memphis BBQ. Hotel recommended Central BBQ and the food did not disappoint. Not fancy but just right for BBQ

Reviewed October 27, 2012

I dined at the downtown location (147 East Butler) 10/26/12, with my wife, dtr, and 2 friends. Everyone enjoyed the food! My wife had the portabello mushroom sandwich, and it was very good! I enjoyed my turkey sandwich as well. Mac and cheese and baked beans sides were very nice. No complaints, very solid food. Wait was not overly long. You order at a counter and they yell out your order number when it is ready and bring it to your table. So, no traditional waiter/waitress. Prices were VERY reasonable!! I definitely recommend this place, but please be aware that there is a lot of construction going on in this area, so getting there is a hassle.

Been to Central BBQ? Share your experiences!