“Great Place for All”

Ranked #59 of 1,510 Restaurants in Memphis
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed June 5, 2014

I go here 2 or 3 times a week and have never had a bad experience with the food or service. I enjoy the daily plate lunch's and have often celebrated special events and holidays there. It is the place that client's mention that they want to go back to more than any other place. Highly recommended.

Reviewed May 31, 2014

This place was so bad. My filet tasted like Long John Silver's and the loaded mashed potatoes were not good. How do you ruin mashed potatoes? I know that one shouldn't order a filet in a sports bar, but this was beyond what you would expect.

The service is why I am writing the review. It was actually worse than the food. There were waiters everywhere, but they were just standing around. We waited so long for initial contact that we thought maybe we had to go to the bar to order. Our waiter seemed to have something wrong with him. So unbelievably slow in every way! Every single time he left, it was so long until he came back that my husband and I thought he forgot about us.

The River Inn is so nice, it is hard to believe this place is associated. Don't go to this restaurant if you can avoid it.

Reviewed May 20, 2014

We love this restaurant, especially their Sunday brunch! Great atmosphere, great service, great Bloody Marys! Highly recommend and well worth the drive if you don't live downtown!

1  Thank Lynn H
Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I frequent Tugs several times a year. We like Tugs because it's reasonably priced, very casual, and the kitchen stays open late (we usually eat past 9:00). Also they have a fun porch with views of the Mississippi-mostly for smaller parties as all but 1 table outside are quite tiny. Tugs has a good happy hour with drink and appetizer discounts that runs (or use to run) from 4-ish to 7-ish. My husband usually orders one of the specialty dinners or he'll get a chicken entree that comes with 2 sides and he will opt for healthy vegetables for his sides. Almost every time we go, the waitress will return to announce they are out of whatever side he has ordered. I pretty much always get the spring salad, dressing on the side. The salad is a delicious mix of greens with pieces of fruit. There is an amazing ball of goat cheese encrusted in (I believe) walnuts served warm with the salad so you can have as much or as little as you like on your salad. The vinigarett is tangy yet sweet. I have never been disappointed with the salad by itself, but once ordered the salmon to go on the salad and received a tasteless, tiny, over-cooked piece of "fresh" salmon that was a waste of $6.
The best kept secret at Tugs is the spinach-artichoke dip appetizer. They always bring it out hot with freshly toasted crumbs on top. It is served with little pita slices that are perfectly lightly toasted but not crunchy. This by itself is worth going to Tugs. Ultimately, I'd recommend this restaurant to someone who has been downtown or on Mud Island riding bikes or enjoying the River who wants to end their evening with a reasonably priced, relaxed dinner and drinks.

Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

We just moved to Memphis, and a friend of ours recommended Tugs. We came on a busy night and was seated by what we thought was the host, but after a few minutes, he came and introduced himself as the manager and got our drunk and appetizer order. Our server (ren) was very helpful with recommendations on the menu. The manager again, came to check on us to insure that everything was perfect, which it was. Great food, and staff, this is Memphis best kept secret.

Been to Tug's? Share your experiences!