“European Elegance in Blues City” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of River Inn of Harbor Town

River Inn of Harbor Town
Ranked #1 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Dayton
“European Elegance in Blues City”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

The River Inn is a perfectly-located surprise on the banks of the Mississippi River. Outstanding service and comfy rooms. All but 4 rooms have river views. Three very good.....and all very different......restaurant options. Wonderful residential neighborhood for walking or jogging.

Room Tip: Choose one of the river-view rooms.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Margaret M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Kansas City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

First, let me say that I thorougly enjoyed this hotel. I'm putting that caveat in here because I'm about to complain about a few things, so let me emphasize that I would stay at this hotel again anytime and probably will again. It was fantastic. The rooms were nice, it is right across the street from the Mississippi River, it's in a beautiful area that's quiet, and the complimentary gourmet breakfasts are out of this world, also, the room service is nicely priced and the food is excellent. I would absolutely stay there again especially for a romantic vacation (which is what this stay was). Having said that, I had some problems while there. We had to be moved to another room because the heat stopped working, and I have an allergy to down bedding and could not seem to get the point across that I couldn't have down pillows in my room because one kept reappearing. Also, they had changed the room service menu and then forgot to put the new one in the book in the room. They tried to correct for that by giving us a photocopied room service menu that was supposed to be the new one when we checked in, but it turned out to be the wrong menu as well! Also, the DVD player in our room didn't work. All of these problems were corrected swiftly and efficiently by the staff, but I have to say as many problems as we did have, getting a discount on our bill or an apology from management would have done a lot to smooth the waters. Because of the view, the excellent room (I wish I could have packed up the bathroom and taken it home with me), the restaurant (food and service top notch), and the location, I hope you won't hesitate to book at this hotel. I will definitely be going back again. But be prepared to have a sense of humor

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank busitrav33
Little Rock, Arkansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

My husband and I stayed one night at the River Inn and were welcomed with complimentary champagne and wine. The room was very nice, clean, great linens, truffles at bedtime, etc.. After checking in, we decided to have a drink in the rooftop bar. The rooftop view is very pleasant, great view, good beverage selection. While there, the fire alarm started going off very loudly. We were told there was not a fire but they were unsure what had caused the alarm to go off. We left the bar and went back downstairs and were told the fire department was there checking out what had caused the alarm. We left the hotel and walked in the beautiful neighborhood for about half an hour. When we returned to the hotel the alarm was still going off! We went up to our room to see if we could take a rest before our dinner reservation but it was blaring in our room. We went to the front desk and were told they had called a "technician" to come and turn the alarm off. They said they were sorry but no one really seemed to care that we had payed over $200 for a nights stayed and were put out of our room for almost two hours because someone smoked in the stairwell and there was no plan to get the alarm shut off but to wait for a "technician" to get there!! The staff seemed completely unprepared for any type of fire or alarm going off, much less interested in the inconvenience to the guests. The nice owner of Paulette's, which is the wonderful restaurant adjoining the hotel, bought us a beer at the bar because he felt bad for us being put out of our rooms. Needless to say, I don't know that we will visit the River Inn again. I understand that things like these happen but at least an attempt to make it up to the guests would have been nice!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gcouch
Atoka, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

I booked this hotel based on the reviews, and I cannot figure out what all the rave is about. It is a bit pricey, but since we were celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary, I figured it was worth a special trip. I was very disappointed. I checked in with a lady at the front desk, explaining we were in town for the weekend and looking forward to celebrating our anniversary. She swiftly have us our key and offered us a glass of complimentary wine once we got settled in. (While I appreciated the offer, we don't drink; a non-alcoholic alternative would have be nice.)

The room was nicely kept but SMALL. The queen bed took up most of it, and I barely felt there was enough room for the two of us to move around comfortably. We left for the evening, as we had dinner reservations elsewhere. Upon returning, I noticed that the hotel restaurant, Paulette's, wasn't busy. Since we hadn't yet had dessert, we decided to give it a try. The maitre d' was on the phone, but she asked a waiter to seat us for dessert "at the bar". I explained to the waiter I didn't want to sit at the bar, but he said, "Well then you can sit in the lobby." I was put off by this rude treatment! Just because we were not having dinner doesn't mean we shouldn't have been welcome in the dining room!

We opted to get dessert to go, and take it up to our room. Not long after, we started hearing loud music, banging, and chairs sliding from the roof above. The inn has a nightclub on the 4th floor; since we were on the 3rd, it was VERY noisy. Even my husband, who is easy-going, got annoyed. He went downstairs and complained, and they moved us to a suite across the street. Of course, the suite was much larger and nicer, and we enjoyed the quiet. But it was still inconvenient to have to get dressed at 10:00 at night and pack up all of our belongings and move over there. For over $200 a night, no guess should have to tolerate this!

The next morning, the same lady checked us out. She asked me how it was. I said, "It was just ok." She said something like, "Oh, well, that's good," and went on her way. The breakfast at Paulette's was good, and I suppose a walk on the river would have been nice in warmer weather. But overall, I was unimpressed with the experience, and especially with staff, who did not at all make us feel special on our special occasion.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the main building. Stay across the street, away from the lobby, restaurant & clu...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank alisonsk
karlfriedrich1, General Manager at River Inn of Harbor Town, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
We are sorry for your recent disappointing stay with us, Our Standard Rooms are about 270 square feet, they are nicly furnished, however they are on the small side, our next room category of deluxe rooms will give you more space. I also appologize for the loud music, this should not have happened and the responsible team members have been spoken too that this does not happen again.
There is no reason why the you were not seated in the restaurant for the dessert, again please accept our appologies, the restaurant manager should have known better and was also spoken too by myself to not have this happen again.
Merriwa, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

The River Inn of Harbor Town is one of the best accommodations I have ever stayed in. Slightly removed from down town Memphis, which I loved because it like a little oasis from the hustle and bustle of Beale St. My room 324 was extremely comfortable with everything you need including a sensational wake up view of the Mississippi River. The staff made me feel like a long lost friend... Very welcoming and answered any query I had with courtesy and efficiency. The restaurant and pub attached the River Inn has delicious food for you to devour and chill out. Am trying to figure out when I am going to return....as soon as possible, I hope!

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Savannah, TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

Staff was exceptional. Room was great and atmosphere was perfect for mom and dad weekend get away. classy and romantic. Able to park and walk to fine dinning and shops always a plus with a great view of river. Quite.

Room Tip: you want the river view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank drdalebtn
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

We (a family of 4 including 2 teenagers) stayed 2 nights at the River Inn in early January 2013. The hotel is situated on Mud Island at the edge of a new residential area (upmarket condos). On arrival we were greeted warmly and offered a glass of champagne which was nice. Our rooms were on the 2nd floor of the building across the road. Both had a large bed - in one of the rooms this was separated into two single beds for our teenagers. The rooms were large and nicely furnished with a view over the river in the distance. Each evening there was a turn-down service with chocolates and port (a nice touch). There was also a small library-style area on the floor with books available to borrow; a flask of coffee was set out here early each morning so you could grab a cup before breakfast. Breakfast was included in our rate and was served in the restaurant in the main building. A full sit-down breakfast was offered - portions were reasonable and the food freshly prepared and of good quality; though service could be a bit erratic (on the first morning I think we got a new server who took a long time, and whilst very pleasant, probably didn't seem to know what he was doing; it was better on the second morning). The hotel is situated about 2 miles from the main downtown area (e.g. Beale Street) and whilst you can walk it during the daytime (which we did on a rather wet and cold Sunday morning), it is not recommended at night as you pass through some rather quiet and derelict areas near the convention centre and around the Pyramid. However driving into the centre of town is not an issue as there are a multitude of car parks dotted around. The hotel does not appear to have a car park - parking is either at the kerbside beside or in front of the hotel; though there is also a large residential parking area that you can use - we had no problem finding parking. Aside from Paulettes restaurant there is also a casual dining bar-style restaurant (Tugs) on site which was quite nice. Nearby there is a small row of shops with a nice upmarket deli (Miss Cordelia's). The reception staff were friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. Overall a very nice hotel, with some nice touches such as the champagne and port, and a good base from which to explore Memphis.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family