“Nice surprise after driving forever”

Hyatt Place Memphis Primacy Parkway
Ranked #13 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Miami, Florida
“Nice surprise after driving forever”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

My wife and I rolled into Memphis at like 3am one night having driven all the way from Dallas, TX! We booked our reservation in advance, called around midnight to say we were still on our way - staff was very nice and gave us a free late checkout. When we showed up the doors were locked (there was a guard on staff which was nice but may have said something about the area). Once we got inside, everything was fine - the guard and clerk were both friendly and chatty. We went up to our room on the 4th floor which was right near the elevator (a bit noisy in the morning but we were so tired we didn't care). The bed was VERY comfortable - one of the main reasons I stay at Hyatt Place anywhere - and the living area and bathroom were both great. We loved it here, and although I don't think we'll ever be back to Memphis, it was a great stay!

Room Tip: Request a room away from the elevator, if possible
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We just returned from a two-day stay at the Hyatt Place Memphis Primacy Parkway (henceforth referred to in this review as 'HPM'). This was a trip with my wife and our two daughters for a wedding in Memphis. First, we were in bit of hot water for not staying at the neighboring La Quinta like everyone else in our group. With no disrespect to the La Quinta (I didn't set foot in it), the angst we had to bear was well worth it. As I always do in my reviews on tripadvisor, here is a look at the Great, Good, Bad, and Ugly with some Bottom Line comments. Ready? Here goes . . .

GREAT

* Uniqueness: In an earlier review, one reviewer mentioned 'unimaginative and poor room design'. I was shocked to read that. Most business class hotel reviews I write here have to be written quickly, or I start forgetting about the hotel. NOT the case with the HPM. I appreciate a hotel that breaks the standard cookie-cutter hotel room design and HPM did that. The lay-out made excellent use of the space. There were four of us and we were more than comfortable - my wife and I slept on the King and our daughters on the sofa pull-out. And, while my wife and I obviously aren't going to have too much 'fun' with our daughters there, the room did have a kind of partially divided feel with a divider that juts some three feet from the wall separating the bed from sofa. The same can be said for the hotel reception area. the HPM is not very large but they make good use of common area space with an effective, funky design.

* Value / Breakfast: for a room rate of $99 / night I thought I did VERY well. Add to this the incredibly generous breakfast that is FREE with your stay and the value is excellent. Breakfast is far beyond the coffee, juice, and pastry norm where you're doing very well to get a waffle iron. NOT the case here where they had a big selection of hot and cold items, including hot McDonalds egg mcmuffin-type sandwiches. Very generous and appreciated.

GOOD

* Location: While I had never been to Memphis before and regret not taking the opportunity to look around a bit, this seems like a great location to stay in with many conveniences to be had nearby - and this was appreciated by me as I had a dress code violation at the wedding and had to run out and buy all new clothes quickly (I was so happy to learn the DAY OF the wedding I was to be an usher and adhere to a particular color theme that my super fly black suit wasn't meeting!).

* 'Versatility': the HPM strikes the fine line of being an equally good choice for a business or personal stay.

* Technology: I appreciated the free wifi and the excellent panel of media plug-in options for the big pretty flat screen in our room.

Bad (room for improvement)

* Noise: We had a nice room but it was on the first floor just NEXT to the pool entrance / exit (room # 126). This was nice as I was able to step outside and sun a bit but . . . there was a lot of noise from that door just outside of our room - and this was in mid-October. In, say, July it could have been a bit much. Also, there was a hotel service room just across the hall too and, again, it got a bit noisy at times. This seems pretty isolated to this one partiuclar area though.

BOTTOM LINE

* The HPM is a simple, manageable hotel that is more memorable than similar properties and is an equally good choice for personal time or business traveling.

* Because parked cars may be mere feet from your window, coupled with all of the other lobby happenings, I do recommend avoiding a stay on the first floor if you can.

* Come with accurately-calibrated expectations and you will not be disappointed with this hotel.

Room Tip: You won't go wrong here at all but . . . next time I will try to avoid ground floor
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank ShoelessJeff
Saint Charles, Illinois
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Big room. A Suite actually. Clean, new, very comfortable. Hotel is in nice area, next to a hospital. Plenty of restaurants in area and close to expressway. Reasonably prices. Good Breakfast with a breakfast croissant, pancakes, fruit, may juices etc. Friendly and professional staff. I would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 11, 2012

The standard room I received was very spacious and comfortable. The bed was super-comfortable and the complimentary, hot breakfast buffet was healthy and delicious. Only negatives is that it is about a $30-40 cab ride from downtown. Also, I had problems with getting my AC lower than 70 degrees. Still, it was a very relaxing and great place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank William Y
Tennessee USA
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Hyatt Place Primacy Parkway for two nights. The room was clean and comfortable. We found the staff to be friendly and check-in was a breeze. The breakfast bar was much better than most free breakfast bars at other hotels. The bed was extremely comfortable. The only negative is that the hotel is a little hard to find, but if you look for St. Francis Hospital it is just across the street. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank StepBennett
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 23, 2012

The carpet in our room was very dirty. Also, a group of people, obviously some kind of cheering section for a college football game, invaded our floor and partied all night. People were roaming the hall until 4 a.m., knocking on doors, slamming doors, and being a nuisance to anyone interested in SLEEPING. We did hear a staff member try to quiet them down but to no avail. It didn't help that the walls were paper thin. Overall, we found the staff members unhelpful and not very professional. Believe it or not, we would stay here again because despite these negative experiences, this is still he best his we've found in this area of Memphis, which doesn't say a lot for Memphis hotels overall.

Room Tip: Reserve early. Best rooms go fast.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Neil H
Batesville, Arkansas
Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

Online reservations made and confirmed by email. Request made for two beds and ground floor with as little walking as possible explaining that I would be arriving with my wife who would be recovering from surgery. (she would have a difficult time walking.)
Arrived to find out that we were on the 4th floor with one bed. I was not happy but polite about it and was given $50 off of one night with arrangements to change rooms the next day. Staff not at all remorseful or apologetic.
Stay was un eventful but there just aren't any warm fuzzy feelings here. Staff is friendly enough but much more interested in each other, haven't been trained in the little things like waiting for guests to exit the elevator before entering, combing their hair, dropping their attention from each other when a guest approaches the desk etc. Just observations from an experienced traveler who doesn't expect too much or get upset over such things. Will go with a Marriott or Hilton property next time unless Hyatt makes it up to me somehow. The building and rooms are nice here but there is a very nice looking La Quinta property is next door.

• Stayed September 2012