“Average” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Flying Fish

Flying Fish
Ranked #15 of 1,429 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown
Memphis, Tennessee
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

Was glad to see a fish restaurant open downtown. The fish is good but very thin. Love that the condiments are out and you can serve yourself. Counter help was great and friendly. If you're heading downtown to any activity I would say give them a try.

• Visited October 2012

Sing sing
“Going Green in Memphis”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

While a green vegetable seems practically impossible to find, even with a search warrant, in the carnivorous culture of Memphis, The Flying Fish came through with Flying colors. Walking up to the counter to order was a pleasure in contrast of having to deal with a lazy or an incompetent server. The menu on the wall was arranged nicely and easy to navigate, and since the grilled catfish and grilled vegetables was recommended to me by a friend, I went for it. It was really good, plentiful, healthy, and it arrived in a reasonable amount of time.Being notified of its arrival on a wireless device eliminated any confusion. Ribs and fried chicken are something not to be ignored in Memphis, and really can't be, but its nice to know that going green in Bluesland is not impossible. Of course, you can still get all of the fried fare here too. While atmosphere will never compensate for low food quality, and I could care less about it, it was nice to hear some real Blues playing in the background. I'll for sure venture off Beale to eat here again in the future.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Roadhardputupwet
Germantown, Tennessee
“Great casual place for seafood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

Located in the heart of downtown in walking distance of lots of great places. I will say it is not the best seafood you can get in Memphis. We come here because it is convenient before Grizz games. Even if there is a line, it moves fast and we have never had trouble finding some place to sit. On my first visit I got the craw fish poboy and I was very disappointed with the amount of craw fish on it. My husband got the shrimp poboy and it seemed a bit more balanced. The second time I got the shrimp and catfish combo. I definitely like the shrimp over the catfish, but even that was pretty good. Both times I got the grilled veggies on the side instead of fries. These are cooked perfectly and have a great seasoning on them. The hush puppies are a must.

• Visited April 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Great food!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I love this place!! It's a quick stop for a fabulous lunch or dinner. This time we got oysters, crawfish, and trout. Since I'm a midwesterner I had to ask again how to eat the crawfish and the guy was happy to show me. They are super tasty. He suggested I get the gumbo with grits as it was a special. It. Was. Unbelievable. I thought about that dish all weekend. can't wait to go back next year and I hope they have the same gumbo and grits!

Visited May 2013
Austin, Texas
“Causal vibe/excellent tacos”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Warning: this is a casual, laid back restaurant where you'll wait in line to order and wait some more for them to call your number. The decor has a backyard vibe - checkered table cloths, pictures of patrons who love to fish, and well worn tables and booths. Those who are looking for a fine dining experience won't find it here. If you're looking for good food and a casual vibe, then stop on by.

I'm only rating the fish tacos, which were melt in my mouth good. I got the grilled tilapia and couldn't eat them fast enough. They came with rice and beans which were decent.

Flying Fish is worth a trip if you're ever in Memphis.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Been to Flying Fish? Share your experiences!