“Worst Mexican I've Had”

Neighborhood: Downtown
Orlando, Florida
“Worst Mexican I've Had”
Reviewed August 24, 2014

I've eaten Mexican all over the country and in Mexico. At Happy Mexican I had the burrito and a margarita. The burrito tasted vinegary the margarita was made with coke. Both were absolutely horrible. I was extremely disappointed especially since I've had a couple of friends recommend the restaurant. Won't be taking anymore rec's from them. Atmosphere and service were excellent however.

• Visited August 2014

Gilbert, Arizona
“Unhappy Gringo”
Reviewed August 13, 2014

I had really expected more from this place, judging from the reviews and the amount of cars I see outside on the weekends. First impressions are always lasting impressions. The first person we saw when we got out of the car, was the armed security guard. He was very nice and held the door open for us, but I was thinking, "Why do they need a security guard?" And this was on a Monday night. I eat at restaurants around here all the time, especially nearby Central BBQ, and none of them have armed security guards. After we were seated, it was several minutes before anyone came over to get our drink order. No one brought us waters. We each ordered a small margarita and the server asked us if we wanted JUMBO margaritas. I repeated myself nicely, and told her that I wanted a small. Then she pointed to some spot on the menu about Monday being "2 for 1" margarita day, which I was supposed to equate in my mind as a jumbo. She assumed I had seen this on the menu and that I had been there before and therefore should know 2 for 1=jumbo. When we finally got our Jumbo margaritas, they tasted awful, like watered down lemonade with lighter fluid in them. We added sugar to try to help them go down easier, but neither one of us finished them. You can't send anything back at this restaurant, though, because it clearly states on the menu to study the menu carefully, because you can't send anything back to the kitchen. REALLY? We ordered the margarita dip, which was queso with beef, and pico de gallo. That was really the best thing we ate, however, the chips that were served with it were STALE. I ordered chicken fajitas and my husband ordered some enchiladas with steak in them. My fajitas weren't sizzling when they came out, which was okay, the food was still hot. It was just too bad I didn't have a decent margarita to wash them down with, or a glass of water. It took FOREVER to pay our check when we were done, because our server disappeared for ten minutes after she dropped the check off at our table. If you are in this area visiting, do yourself a favor and eat elsewhere.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank theREALmle
Carlinville, Illinois
“very happy and partying place”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Guests were def. loud and having fun when we were there, with multiple birthdays going on. The food was great and portions were huge. We took leftovers home. The happy fajita for 2 is big and very good, so you won't be hungry. Nachos and salsa were good and the margaritas were muy grande as well! Un buen tiempo!

Visited July 2014
Los Banos, California
“Great Mexican Food In Memphis? Yes!”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

My wife and I were going to visit the Civil Rights Museum when we decided we should have lunch prior to the visit. The greeter at the museum told us about a place that sold BBQ nearby as well as a Mexican restaurant, which turned out to be the Happy Mexican Restaurant.

At first, I asked "Am I about to eat Mexican food in Memphis?" My wife reminded me that I love Mexican food and it could be good. Boy, was that an understatement.

Upon entering the restaurant, the first thing that caught our eye was that they were doing pretty good business even though it was after 2pm, which is usually a down period for restaurants. Next thing we noticed was the unique décor. It is had to describe, but if you see it, you won't forget it. An excellent touch!

I started off with a Golden Margarita (Top Shelf), one of the best that I had ever tasted.

For lunch, I had a chicken enchilada and a beef taco. My wife had a cheese enchilada and a beef enchilada. We both enjoyed our meal, and left very full. The service was excellent as well.

• Visited July 2014
Memphis, Tennessee
“birthday party”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

perfect birthday party stop singing laughing fun atmosphere tables interesting, food great waiters professional service and fun. drinks were prefection

Visited June 2014