“Truly authentic and delicious”
Review of Mazza Restaurant - CLOSED

Mazza Restaurant
Cuisines: Middle Eastern, Healthy
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner
Description: Our timeless tradition of exotic Mediterranean (Jordanian) flavors and freshly prepared cuisine will transport you to a magical place where aroma and spices fuse in perfect artistry and balance
Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

Perfect for a relaxed night with delicious food and hookah. They recently opened and are improving so the atmosphere isn't perfect yet. However, this restaurant should not be overlooked! The middle eastern food was all made from scratch, healthy and delicious. The staff was so friendly. Smoking the hookah on the outdoor patio made for a really relaxed evening, we forgot about the busy road and run down motel next door. The hookah flavors were so smooth and truly delicious. If we weren't just passing through Memphis, we would be here all the time. Great break from the normal vacation restaurants.

There are newer reviews for Mazza Restaurant

Reviewed May 27, 2014

We read good reviews on Trip Advisor, but when we arrived there were few cars outside. We almost decided to drive on, but thankfully stuck to our original plan. I'm so glad we did! If great food is your objective, along with a delightful staff, this is the spot for you. We were greeted by the chef, Adnan, and ordered based on his recommendations. We shared the hummus, falafel, tabouli, and chicken shawarma. They were so flavorful and fresh and the pita bread was light and soft. I cannot recommend Mazza highly enough, especially if you are traveling and are tired of heavy diner or fast food. This was fresh and healthy. Our new favorite in Memphis!

2  Thank Chris L
Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

This is a no fuss no muss restaurant. Plain and simple great food. The exterior is run down but the food is truly amazing. Must try!

Reviewed May 17, 2014

After leaving this place, I asked myself that question...was it the thin wrapper that held my shwarma? Was it a family name? I went home and googled "What is a mazza". According to "The Wanderers Chuck and Kate" blog, “Traditionally,…(it) is a way of life that traces its roots to the beginnings of recorded history. The tradition is deeply rooted and is an expression of something Greeks hold dear: socializing (i.e., talking) over a few plates of simple tasty food, letting the wine or spirits flow and savoring the liberating, gratifying effects of the meal and drink together." If that is an accurate definition, then the owners picked a great name.

I took my two girls, 25 and 16 there for lunch. There was delightful Jordanian music playing in the background, loud enough to enjoy, but not too loud to interfere with our conversation. Service was very leisurely, our waiter was attentive but not rushed in any way. My oldest seemed to think he wasn't "on the ball" but I think it was more of a cultural thing...It was Saturday, we were enjoying each other's company, he was taking care of us in a way that was attentive to us. We were there to spend time together, not to grab a rushed workday lunch.

We asked him to put together a variety of their menu. The shwarma "wraps" came with fries but we asked him to substitute something else since we could get fries anywhere :) He came up with a nice sampling of the menu. We started with some creamy, yummy hummus with perfectly fresh pita and four of the best falafel I've ever tasted. Next he brought us two plates of "salad" a lemony mix of tomatoes, parsley and a bit of onion. The entrée was two plates of about five or six different meat choices...some tasty samosas, two kinds of (chicken and beef) shwarma wraps (he told us this was a very traditional way for shwarma to be served on the street in Jordan). We spooned some of the salad and a little yogurt dip into the wraps...my goodness...amazing. The chicken was our favorite. Also included was some kind of seasoned ground meat that was shaped in a sort of sausage link shape and some chicken kabobs that while a little dry, they had a terrific flavor (allspice?).

After letting our meal settle a bit, the cook (?) came out and brought us three little pieces of a delightful dessert that he said had been freshly baked that morning. It wasn't baklava, and he didn't have the name of it but said it had many of the same ingredients :)

All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed our relaxing meal at Mazza. It was if we had been transported to the middle east for a moment to "slow down over a few plates of simple tasty food". Really good food, very attentive (but not rushed) service, and a fair price. What more can you ask for? Even the 16 year old was impressed...and that's saying something!

2  Thank pammyomammy
Reviewed May 9, 2014

This is the first time to find the restaurant that offers the best taste with HALAL meat, very Delicious Hummus, Falafel, and Shawerma, I sure will come back again..