“Great location!”

The Westin Memphis Beale Street
Ranked #29 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We spent a night at the Westin while attending an event at the Fed-Ex forum. The location can't be beat, it is right across the street from the arena and on the corner of Beale. The room and hotel was great as well, a little pricey after taxes and parking, over $300 for a night which is a little more than I like to pay. Other than the rate, everything was great!
Room was spacious and clean, hotel staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: March 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,127)

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Seems to me as though most all cookie cutter branded hotels have lost their sheen lately; not so with this Westin. The front desk was exceptionally nice. We noted one particular one man at the front desk early in the morning, crisply dressed, smiling and overall being a front desk staff any hotel would love to have as an associate. Oddly enough, he was still there late that afternoon, continuing to be as crisp and nice as he was earlier that morning. Our top room floor was clean and quiet. We laughed at the extravagant mini bar prices, but that's par for any hotel these days. The hotel is situated within easy walking distance of all the main downtown attractions, and the adjacent (busy) Starbucks is a great respite from the basically off limits mini bar. The hotel does not have a pool, which might be a drawback for families with kids, especially in the hot, swaggering summers Memphis occasionally conjures. The only reason I'm not giving this place an "excellent" rating is the snail paced, expensive valet. In a word, terrible.
Overall, though, great place.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed at the Westin (almost on) Beale Street for a few nights last month. I was pleasntly surprised that it was across the street from the Gibson guitar factory and the FedEx arena. The rooms were nice (fairly typical Westin), the lobby was nice and the hotel bars were solid.

I like the location (close to Beale street which was fun) and found the hotel service to be quite good.

There were however two opportunity areas. First, the location is a bit of a double edged sword. While its fun to have funky bars and restaurants around the corner that also means that if you are out walking around at night you have good odds of running into some people who are VERY drunk. I wasn't that concerned with the two gentlemen who were throwing the parking sign in front of the hotel but I am sure that would make most travellers uncomfortable at best.

Secondly, I was surprised that there didnt seem to be a breakfast option at the hotel other than room service!?!? It may be that I missed something but after hunting around I wound up with a Diet Coke and a Clif bar in my room....

I would stay again but would offer these caveats to others considering the property.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank RoadGuy11
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Enjoyed my stay here. Room was sizable, and truly had the "heavenly bed" experience. Starbucks location right around the corner. The Fed Ex forum is just across the street, making this the perfect spot for that venue!

Room Tip: Ask for a Beale Street view
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 24, 2013

started with the receptionist. very friendly. then the room had to be changed because the safe was not working so she put us in a very nice corner room. good view! in the restaurant everyone was friendly and especially...i think his name was TYRONE the waiter. super, super!! whether you ate breakfast, lunch or dinner everything tasted good. not to exclude room service for dinner. prompt and good. room was cleaned well too. definately recommendable.

Room Tip: corner room has a better view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed one night at this hotel. The location is excellent (a block from Beale Street). The staff (especially the lady at the front desk who checked us in) was friendly and accommodating, the room was nicely decorated in a contemporary style. The bed was delightfully comfortable and the bathroom and complementary toiletries were lovely. Food at the hotel restaurant was delicious, although pricey.

One rub (not just about this hotel - all hotels!): On the day we were scheduled to check out, a lady from housekeeping knocked on our door at 8:15 am to find out what time we planned to check out that day. We were barely awake since we didn't get to bed until 11:00 pm after a long day of driving. Annoying, but doesn't affect my rating of the hotel.

Room Tip: Request view of Beale Street or the river.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank MaryLouise2010
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I had booked this hotel for a romantic night out with my wife. We leave in Memphis and try to do this every couple of months. Normally we stay at the Peabody, Marriott downtown, Hilton out east and have occasionally stayed at the Madison. All of which have been superb.

Now to Westin. I am Starwood's Preferred Platinum Member. I decided I would give this Westin a shot, as it is located right adjacent to Beale street. As we pull up to Valet, there is no visible sign for entrance and exit. As I pull up, the valet come out yelling that I pulled up on the wrong side of the driveway. I move the car, and head to check in. The lady at the front greeted us, but was obviously distracted chatting with a co-worker. I handed her my American Express and ID. She checked us in, and we proceeded to the room.

My wife and I decided not to go anywhere, and ordered food from the restaurant down stairs (Bleu), which is fabulous. As the food came, we tried to rent a movie, and could not do it. I called front desk and speak to the lady downstairs, she tells me that I do not have a card on file, and I would have to immediately come down and give a card. We went back and forth for 15 minutes, with me explaining that I handed my card and she swiped it, and she arguing back that there is no card on file. I ask her if I can just stop by in the morning when checking out and she says ok. 15 minutes into my movie she call back and says that she is going to need the card, and I would have to bring it to her. I argued again, and explained to her that I am a frequent traveller and have a Platinum status, and she coulds easily see that I am legit and google my name and see that my company is located in Cordova, and I own it. There is no way i could skip out on the bill.

She now get a manger on. He insist on the same thing. Now we are 30 minutes into the movie. He offers to come and get my card. Being in the credit card industry, I know not to hand my card to someone who is actually take it with him out of my sight. another 10 minutes of arguing, i decided that my night was already messed up, and so I told him to come and get the card.

On Monday I left a message for the GM, and got a voicemail back 2 weeks later. I called and left him another message, and did not hear back from him.

It is a great location for a property. If you don't mind the load music, you can stay on the north side, but if you need to catch some zzz then ask for a room on the south side. Service sucked. Staff are unprofessional, and need to be replaced. This hotel has potential of bring the premier hotel amongst the branded hotels in Memphis however, the staff need retraining, or hire new ones.

I wish I had read the Trip Advisor review prior to booking.

Room Tip: For a quite room ask for the rooms on the south side, away from Beale Street.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple