“´til we meet again.....”

The Westin Memphis Beale Street
Ranked #28 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed February 24, 2013

started with the receptionist. very friendly. then the room had to be changed because the safe was not working so she put us in a very nice corner room. good view! in the restaurant everyone was friendly and especially...i think his name was TYRONE the waiter. super, super!! whether you ate breakfast, lunch or dinner everything tasted good. not to exclude room service for dinner. prompt and good. room was cleaned well too. definately recommendable.

Room Tip: corner room has a better view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Westin Memphis Beale Street

Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed one night at this hotel. The location is excellent (a block from Beale Street). The staff (especially the lady at the front desk who checked us in) was friendly and accommodating, the room was nicely decorated in a contemporary style. The bed was delightfully comfortable and the bathroom and complementary toiletries were lovely. Food at the hotel restaurant was delicious, although pricey.

One rub (not just about this hotel - all hotels!): On the day we were scheduled to check out, a lady from housekeeping knocked on our door at 8:15 am to find out what time we planned to check out that day. We were barely awake since we didn't get to bed until 11:00 pm after a long day of driving. Annoying, but doesn't affect my rating of the hotel.

Room Tip: Request view of Beale Street or the river.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank MaryLouise2010
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I had booked this hotel for a romantic night out with my wife. We leave in Memphis and try to do this every couple of months. Normally we stay at the Peabody, Marriott downtown, Hilton out east and have occasionally stayed at the Madison. All of which have been superb.

Now to Westin. I am Starwood's Preferred Platinum Member. I decided I would give this Westin a shot, as it is located right adjacent to Beale street. As we pull up to Valet, there is no visible sign for entrance and exit. As I pull up, the valet come out yelling that I pulled up on the wrong side of the driveway. I move the car, and head to check in. The lady at the front greeted us, but was obviously distracted chatting with a co-worker. I handed her my American Express and ID. She checked us in, and we proceeded to the room.

My wife and I decided not to go anywhere, and ordered food from the restaurant down stairs (Bleu), which is fabulous. As the food came, we tried to rent a movie, and could not do it. I called front desk and speak to the lady downstairs, she tells me that I do not have a card on file, and I would have to immediately come down and give a card. We went back and forth for 15 minutes, with me explaining that I handed my card and she swiped it, and she arguing back that there is no card on file. I ask her if I can just stop by in the morning when checking out and she says ok. 15 minutes into my movie she call back and says that she is going to need the card, and I would have to bring it to her. I argued again, and explained to her that I am a frequent traveller and have a Platinum status, and she coulds easily see that I am legit and google my name and see that my company is located in Cordova, and I own it. There is no way i could skip out on the bill.

She now get a manger on. He insist on the same thing. Now we are 30 minutes into the movie. He offers to come and get my card. Being in the credit card industry, I know not to hand my card to someone who is actually take it with him out of my sight. another 10 minutes of arguing, i decided that my night was already messed up, and so I told him to come and get the card.

On Monday I left a message for the GM, and got a voicemail back 2 weeks later. I called and left him another message, and did not hear back from him.

It is a great location for a property. If you don't mind the load music, you can stay on the north side, but if you need to catch some zzz then ask for a room on the south side. Service sucked. Staff are unprofessional, and need to be replaced. This hotel has potential of bring the premier hotel amongst the branded hotels in Memphis however, the staff need retraining, or hire new ones.

I wish I had read the Trip Advisor review prior to booking.

Room Tip: For a quite room ask for the rooms on the south side, away from Beale Street.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DeeK515
Reviewed February 13, 2013

This hotel is "okay" as long as you don't have a billing issue.

I was erroneously charged for an additional room which was cancelled 3 days prior to my reservation. After 6 WEEKS of phone calls and e-mails back and forth, I finally have this issue resolved. This ONLY occurred after repeatedly calling Starwood Resorts. It was finally explained as a "glitch" in their system. If you do have a billing issue, don't count on the Westin Memphis staff to be concerned enough to resolve the problem. After, FINALLY, making contact with Don Michael Norwood (Guest Relations Manager-Westin Memphis), he was seemingly uninterested and unwilling to adequately investigate the issue. After providing him with documentation proving the cancellation, I never heard from him again.

In my profession, I actually instruct people in proper customer service. As a consolation for my bad experience, I now have the perfect example of bad customer service which I will be using for illustration purposes.

This has literally been the worst customer service I have ever experienced. I spend approximately 150 nights per year staying in various hotels around the country. You should not have to fight this hard to get people to do their job. I am extraordinarily sorry that I chose Westin-Memphis.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Sorry this review is a little old!
I had the great luck of stopping in Memphis for a night during the crazy Elvis week. It was even crazier, as apparently it was an anniversary of his death (I apologize for not knowing my Elvis facts). Despite being packed to the brim and slammed with guests, I was pleasantly surprised by the customer service. My coworkers and I were checked in very quickly and even with the heavy traffic, there was no line at check-in. I had a top floor room overlooking downtown Memphis and loved the view (definitely ask for the top floor). The room was clean and spacious. The bed was amazing and after a fun night on Beale St with my coworkers, it was nice to relax in such a comfy bed. Also, the shower was awesome. Location is phenomenal.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank mandagoosh
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I was very excited to find a good deal on a hotel room just around the corner from Beale St. My husband is a guitar enthusiast, so the Gibson Factory across the street from the hotel made it the perfect location. I was able to pay upfront for a 3 night stay at about 177 a night (including tax). I travel a lot for work and have stayed in my fair share of hotels. Usually, on a work budget I stay in low key Comfort Inns, Days Inns, Jameson Inns, Sleep Inns, etc. So I was excited for the chance to stay in the upscale Westin. The reviews certainly looked nice.

The lobby was certainly inviting, and the hotel restaurant hosted bands in the evening. The rooms were a nice size, and the bedding was much more comfortable than what I have been used to in cheaper hotels. The bathroom was an elegant size with a large glass shower and a tub. I was excited to see a bathrobe was included, but it was just one... for two people? The temperature control was also fairly weak. It was not a warm weekend, but at 65 degrees, it was still pretty stuffy in the room. I set the thermostat to the lowest at 60 F and woke up in the night a few times sweating. I missed the blasting ac available in those cheaper hotels.

We stayed 3 nights, and room service only cleaned our room 1 time. It was surprising when we arrived back to our room on the 2nd day, after a long day of sightseeing, to find no made up bed or fresh towels.

While many services are complementary in those cheaper hotels, like wifi, breakfast, and a microwave, I was surprised that The Westin charged for all of these. And there was of course no shuttle to the airport.

And when we found out the hotel provided Gibson Guitars complementary to hotel guests to check out and play, my husband was very excited! The hotel had a sign saying they would provide the virtual amp and headset so that you could play the guitar in your room. The staff was helpful enough to set my husband up with the guitar of his choice, and an amp, but they didn't have any headphones. We tried our own personal head phones, but they did not have the correct jack for the amp. When he complained to the staff about this, they didn't so much more than shrug their shoulders. These electric guitars aren't meant to be played without an amp and the experience flopped miserably.

I admit, this review does not sound very positive. We did have a pleasant stay at The Westin, but I guess I was just expecting a little more special treatment and fine service from a more luxury hotel. If it were not for the fantastic location, I don't know that I would call this hotel a good value.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank eat-travel-love10
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We had a similar issue as some others in terms of the room not being ready (I would recommend that they make an earlier check out time to alleviate this problem). The front desk staff was extremely understanding and gave us a free breakfast in the restaurant and free vouchers for Wifi. I have no complaints.
You can't beat the location. It's across from FedEx Forum and right behind Beale Street. The rooms are large, clean and everyone is extremely friendly. It also has a great gym that was never crowded. I will definitely stay here again if I'm in Memphis.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple