“Nicely Convenient Hotel Amid Urban Blight”

The Westin Memphis Beale Street
Ranked #24 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Highland, Utah
“Nicely Convenient Hotel Amid Urban Blight”
Reviewed December 24, 2012

My intent to visit Memphis was not Beale Street, but to see Graceland, the Rock and Soul Museum and the Loraine Motel. As a first time visitor to Memphis, I was surprised that a newer hotel across the street from the Fedex Forum could be amid such urban blight. The hotel staff were pleasant and helpful. Do ask for a room not facing Beale Street if you are sensitive to sound and want to get some sleep.

The hotel was convenient for what I wanted to see but if you're looking for food that isn't deep fried or barbecue, you'll be on an extensive quest. There are numerous places to eat, but they all pretty much carry the same fare if you journey on foot in the area. If you find a salad to eat, you'll have to delete a number of ingredients to get it to a healthy level. I didn't see any options for breakfast in the near vicinity (didn't want to pay hotel prices) but did find a Denny's across the street from the Peabody Hotel which is a quick 10 minute walk away. There is a Starbucks next to the hotel which is great for a quick cup of coffee.

The Rock and Soul Museum is SUPERB both with its artifacts but also with the history it presents with the head set provided. There is a free bus from the front of the museum to/from Graceland which is about a 20-minute drive. That was very convenient and a great cost-savings.

Within walking distance is the Loraine Motel where Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated in 1968. The motel is preserved from that era and is a part of the adjacent National Civil Rights Museum which I was not able to visit due to construction/renovation. That was a real shame as myself and others were VERY upset about the closure of the vital part of the museum as their website indicated nothing of this. Had I known, I would have gladly postponed my visit to Memphis.

I didn't have a rental car and was relegated to what I could see on foot from the hotel. Lots of abandoned warehouses/small factories and empty lots where business once stood. This Downtown area leaves much to be desired.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed December 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed one night in the Wesin on Beale Street in December. Our room was nicely appointed and the bathroom was HUGE! The staff was pleasant and the room was clean. We were able to hear a rumbling noise - (we think it was an elevator, although we were not close to the elevator) noticeable but not horrible for one night. I would recommend this property because of its location, value, and amenities.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 18, 2012

This was our second stop in Memphis; we had booked for two nights.

You usually know what to expect with Westin hotels, but this time I have to say I was quite disappointed.

Location is great, just one block from Beale street - although do make sure to get a room on the other side of the building if you plan to get some sleep!

The hotel itself looks great, brand new, very clean. The rooms are very nice, too, pretty spacious, and beds are comfortable.
You can pretty much hear anything going on in the corridors though, and we were awakened a couple of times by people coming back to their room late, loud, after a few drinks on Beale Street.

The big let-down was service / attitude of the staff / hotel policies.
First, the person who checked us in wasn't nice at all. No smile, no welcome look. We didn't feel welcome at all, and had the same feeling all along our stay.

What to say about the mini-bar policy?
All the items are on a scale, and if you touch something, it will be charged to your room directly.
From a customer perspective, either the hotel thinks I'm a thief and I'll try to take stuff from the mini bar without telling them (which feels pretty insulting) or they're trying to charge me for services / products I'm not using (i.e if something falls from the scale, you'll be charged even though you haven't used it).
I've never seen anything like this, and I hope not to see it again!

Service wasn't really good: we would see trays of food left in the corridors, that would stay there all day.
Everytime we tried to get the car out of the parking, we had to wait several minutes, because you need to show your hotel parking ticket to someone... but no one is ever there. People wouldn't even say hi or thank you.

When you add this to the fact that everything is extra at Westin hotels (i.e parking not included, breakfast not included, internet access not included, even bottles of water in the room are not free), the whole experience comes out quite overpriced for what you get.

The only smile we got from anyone in the hotel was upon check-out.

Overall, this is a hotel trying really hard to make you feel like it's a privilege for you to be here, when it's normally the other way round. Being high-end is not about looking down on your own customers.
I think there's a big management issue here.

I will personally not stay there again, and do recommend other hotels in Memphis instead of this one (i.e River Inn in Harbor town, much better value and service)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mrmnem
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

I stayed there 2 nights while on business trip.
The Room was nice, average room for a Westin.
The location is great, near Beal street and the Gibson factory.
However, I would not recommend this hotel for the following reasons :
The cleanliness was very poor, a tray with food stay in the corridor for one afternoon and full night, and the fitness center is not regularly cleaned (sticky elliptical, no sanitizer available, dust...).
The parking fees were not clearly indicated (I was told $15/day, but was charged $18 + taxes)
The service was very poor. Not very welcoming staff.
Noisy hotel too, I guess this is the price to pay if staying near Beal street.
Everything is overpriced : water, snacks, etc...
I tried another hotel while in Memphis, and it was honestly much better than the Westin.
There are nicer options in Memphis than the Westin.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Audrey C
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel a few weeks ago and had a pretty good experience. The hotel is in a great location - within walking distance or a short drive of most attractions and right around the corner from Beale Street. We were upgraded to a corner king suite facing Beale and didn't have any issues with noise, but it was the slow season, so that may be why. There were a few cigarette burns in our furniture and stains on the hallway carpet, but overall the room and hotel were clean and modern.The cost of parking is a bit high, but we did have in/out privledges. Overall, we had an okay experience. If location is number one on your list, choose the Westin. If not, maybe try looking elsewhere for a better deal.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank muchuckles
Dover, New Hampshire
Reviewed December 9, 2012

You'll have a tough time finding a luxury hotel in Memphis. Really luxury ANYTHING in Memphis...the reason to come here is for the music and the history. Certainly not for the food or for amenities. If you have to come to Memphis and want to know the nicest place to stay, it's the Westin. The bar is ok - big and friendly. Although the bartender has been stoned the last three times I've stayed here I think. The rooms are spacious and the gym is good. The staff is very nice and the sound quality is excellent. The location is perfect for being in the "thick of it". Which is nice, as Memphis ain't the safest place to walk around at night darlin.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank exeter95
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Right on Beale street...practically. My room overlooked, so if you have a room overlooking or facing it, expect some noise.

It is what you would expect from a Westin. This one is newer, and top notch with a great spacious room that was well appointed.

If you are staying downtown to enjoy the nightlife, this really is a great place because you are steps from it all, but in great comfort.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business