“Quiet and Clean”

Best Western Plus Gen X Inn
Ranked #16 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed September 25, 2010

Went to Memphis for Gonerfest and this hotel was on a list of good hotels to stay at. I have to say that they were right. Seems to have been recently updated....rooms very clean with new flat screen tvs. Bathrooms very clean! ( major points for me )! Staff was friendly. Located next to an animal hospital in an industrial area but really just min by car to most attractions. I would def stay at this hotel again

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 23, 2010

Stayed one night in late July, found the hotel on Expedia and chose it for its rate and proximity to downtown Memphis. Found the hotel very clean and new looking. The room was very nice, small bathroom, good tv and dvd, was all around comfortable and we were pleased.

Did not make it down to the continental breakfast, but had good in-room coffee. Unlike some other reviewers I found the place and the parking felt very safe. There was an iron fence around the whole of the parking lot, and did not seem like a run down neighborhood to me.

Very easy access to downtown Memphis and very easy to get in and out. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2010

I would highly recommend staying here. The room was quite lovely....flat screen tv, dvd player and the bed reminded me of the nice beds at Hyatt chains. It had a very upscale feel to the room. The bathroom was very nice also. The price was great....great bargain. The staff was very friendly and helpful. And I loved that the hotel was right off of I40...made it very easy to find. Will definitely stay at this hotel again when in Memphis.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank junemoonchild63
Reviewed April 1, 2010

My sister and I stayed one night at the Gen X Memphis. We were greeted and checked in quickly by the friendly desk attendant. Although there were only two elevators, there was never a wait during our stay.
The rooms were great! Very spacious, new flat screen tv, all modern furnishings and the beds seemed new. The sheets were 100% thick cotton (this is important to me!) and the rest of the bed linens were natural fiber as well, no unpleasant polyester here!
The beds were very comfortable, with fluffy nice pillows.
Both the room and the bathroom were spotless. I consider myself to be an expert in this area, as I used to work as a housekeeper at a hotel myself. I even checked the baseboards behind the beds - not a speck of dust! The housekeeping crew here is great.
The bathroom was modern as well, with a huge showerhead, and the hot water came on right away with no wait. The towels were fresh and fluffy, seemed new as well.
True, the neighborhood is pretty average - if you are on foot, you probably won't want to stay here - we didn't think it was much different from the other main streets in terms of crime etc, but there's not a lot around in the way of restaurants and such. If you have a rental car (recommended in Memphis anyway), no problem at all. Just a 5 minute drive down Madison Ave and there's drug stores, restuarants and more.
The free breakfast was very satisfactory - they even have a waffle maker!!! I had a great waffle with maple syrup and some bottled juice while I read the paper in the cute and stylish dining area.
The staff was great - friendly and helpful.
My only criticism of the Gen X is they didn't have a box of tissues in the room - I wouldn't normally notice this, but I had a hayfever attack that day - springtime down south...
We will defijnitely stay here again, I thought it was 4-star quality, and am recommending it to all my friends.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Foxpup82
Reviewed July 15, 2009

I stayed at Gen X for one night out of my 7 night reservation. My coworkers and I asked several times if the staff could recommend a place to have dinner and we kept getting the suggestion to order in. That should have been our first clue. We walked to a local place and saw about 5 police cars with lights and sirens. That night there was a double shooting about 2 blocks from the hotel. I woke up the next morning and had to share my bathroom with a couple roaches. I then rebooked the remainder of our stay at a different hotel.
We also had to take taxis to the convention center as the trolley schedule was sporadic and we didn't want to wait outside for an unreliable trolley.
My advice is to stay somewhere else if you can.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank netdvr
Reviewed May 22, 2009

Purpose of our trip was Beale Street, and we stayed at Gen X for three days, Extremely clean, pleasant and helpful staff, attractive rooms. We had no trouble getting downtown--we rode the trolley, took cabs (there were four of us) and drove--no problems. Would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2009

I arrived on a stormy night... needless to say, about 3 hrs after check-in, the entire hotel had a power surge and only emergency lights came on. The alarm clock was reset (didn't realize until morning after) and I am thankful the backup wake up call. The staff was very apologetic about the power outage and got it restored before midnight. This property will be converted to a franchise (most likely Best Western) before the end of the first half of 2009.

You will need your own set of wheels especially if you have limited time. I was on a 14hr overnight layover. The public transport is not abundant in Memphis.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo